Why do you collect the player you collect?

I'm asking the reason why people collect a certain player, why did you collect Grant Hill?

In the early nineties i never collected basketball cards.Then i went to have a look in one of the many cards shops around the sydney area.Mainly the one in blacktown where matt26 was one of the workers there.He helped me and my son choose certain players that were likely to attract a following.I selected Grant Hill and my son choose Tim Hardaway.Hill was just a all round good player.Then in 1995 my son and i went to the usa.We went to the arrowhead pond which was the home of the mighty ducks,and also the home of the La clippers.That night,my son and i saw the greatest basketball player of all time MJ.The bulls played the clippers.My son said to me,can i collect his cards.I told him,lets stick to the cards i can afford. Sometimes in life you give your children the wrong advice.

Why do i collect the player (s) i collect ..... long story.....

Patrick Ewing - started collecting him not long after i started collecting basketball in 1995. Had a friend who was really into Shawn Kemp so i thought "okay, i can do that." I approached it, initially as an analytical prospect. Who did i have the most cards for, who was a good scorer and who was listed regularly in the beckett but not overly expensive. Answer - Patrick Ewing. In collecting his cards (and a few other things), i've come to find out a lot about the man himself and have a lot of respect for him - as a person.

Jalen Rose - Shortly after starting my Ewing Collection, i decided to collect a rookie from 1994-95 season and settled on Jalen because - like me - he's a southpaw (left-handed). And i just had a feeling ....

Kevin Garnett - When i got his first card (1995-96 Collector's Choice Rookie), i read the back (as you do) and one line hooked me in - "He has an inside/outside game reminiscent of Patrick Ewing". What could i say? What could i do?

LaMarcus Aldridge - Like with Ewing, it was a matter of who did i have enough cards for and who was affordable. Plus, a feeling he was going to be a good player.

Jeff Green - He went to Georgetown (same almer mater as Ewing) and i had enough cards to start a collection.

Detlef Schrempf - resurrected collection. Initially collected him because my girlfriend at the time was German. Resurrected the collection because the fact is, he was a solid and under-rated player.

John Wallace - Another resurrected collection. I know he didn't do a lot, but i just liked the guy in general. He always put team ahead of himself.

Gerald Wallace - my initial card of his was his 2001-02 Topps Rookie. I held on to a dupe of it mainly because i just had that feeling. Later, when i had enough cards from breaks, i decided to collect him.

Patty Mills - He's a local boy. 'Nuff said.

Lamond Murray - a much later edition. Needed a small forward to fill out my team.

Charlie Ward - see Lamond murray.

Mario Bennett - resurrected. Admittedly a bad decision based on bad advice. But ... he has only a small number of cards, is affordable and fills in a slot on my cardboard team.

I collect Terrance Ferguson because he played for the 36ers and my son loves following him still, and he was awesome the times we met him when he was here.

I know a lot of people use the excuse of "it's for my son" in this hobby, but this PC is really about him (That's him with TFerg in my avatar)

It's also got me back into the collecting side of cards and having them back in hand, instead of just being on COMC

When I figure out how to get decent shots with my phone, I'll post pics of what we have

This is one I just bought on blowout yesterday, on route to comc, really looking forward to surprising him with this one

42808252775_53fa29a8d7_z.jpg

I collected in the early to mid 90's..
Zo, Ewing and Kemp. I dabbled and always flipped Jordans to get cards of the 3 guys I collected. Had fun with it til about 1996 and then completely stopped collecting.
Wind forward to 2013...the NBL ...the Perth Wildcats... We picked up a guy called James Ennis.
Guy was like the NBL version of Shawn Kemp, had great athletic prowess and slammed dunks down like a sledgehammer. Watched him play live a handful of times, plenty on tele and thought "If he makes it to an NBA squad, I am gonna start collecting again after 17 years."
He got into the Heat team and the rest is history.
I appreciated what he brought to the NBL, something I hadn't seen since Trimmingham and Copeland retired and it was exciting. Whilst he hasn't hit anywhere near those standards in the NBA and has been on a different team every season I enjoy collecting his cards and whilst there's about 2 other fairly serious collectors, I spose I can honestly say I have the best Ennis PC there is anywhere. James has seen my PC website and commented his appreciation to me via Twitter which was really cool. At the end of the day I collect someone I enjoy watching and regardless of how he does in his career I'll collect for as long as he has cards out.

Great read on this thread so far.
This is only my second post. First was my intro.
As in my intro, I come and go from this hobby. I get excited quite quickly and am quite spontaneous in my hobbies and with the card collecting it seems to be in waves for me. Every 3 or 4 years I pick it up but I've never maintained it for a long period unfortunately. Other stuff just gets in the way it seems.
There was one team I just took a liking to while in High School in the 90's. It was the Hornets. I guess I liked their logo, their colours and they had a decent team back then. But the answer here is Glen Rice. Took an instant liking to him, I think it was just his shot motion. It was simply so fluid especially for someone near 6'10". I guess before this I never really noticed any bigs scoring like that in the midrange and the 3.
By no means do I have a massive or valuable collection of this player but I'm slowly creeping up the ladder with it.
Since then, a few other players intrigued me like Melo, being a big-ish player with a sweet shot. His card values were always far too high for me to start collecting, especially in the early years there. His value has been dropping but it's still just too rich for me.
Another player who unfortunately had a far too premature ending to his career was Brandon Roy. Would have loved to seen more of this player, fulfilling his huge upside and potential.
If funds allowed I'd love to focus on these two players as well. Maybe I should start selling off unwanted collected pieces over the years to start the Melo and Roy collection. This is harder for me than for some of you for sure. For some reason everything I've got, I have trouble parting ways with. I guess I'm a bit of a hoarder lolz.

Back
Top Bottom