Which is more popular NRL or AFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as I have more than half a brain, I don't watch rugby. :lol:

AFL seems to be the more popular trading sport, just look at the difference in posts/views in the Buying/Selling/Trading thread; AFL B/S/T has 1,523 threads & 8,853 views and NRL B/S/T has 1,016 threads & 7.052 views. ;)

Slightly unfair comparison given the AFL forum posts go back to 2006 while the NRL one only goes back to 2008!

Wasn't this place originally just an AFL forum or something?

I agree that overall the AFL cards do seem to be more popular.

Crowds AFL wins (although gets some crowds which are much lower than the NRL would ever get). TV ratings NRL wins. Didn't the NRL even outrate the AFL this year despite having a fewer game a week on free to air?

For me rugby league is the far superior sport ... internationally Australian Rules is nothing.

Rugby union is probably more boring than either of them. If all you want to see is goalkicking then you might as well follow soccer.

I doubt the AFL had many smaller crowds than the NRL, only crowds less than 25,000 for the AFL are the games here in tassie where Aurora can only hold about 23,000 but usually only get around 16,000-20,000. maybe a demons v crows match might have poor numbers in melb but still get more than the NRL i would imagine. havent seen figures but NRL crowds always seem to be around 15,000 from what ive seen. what was the biggest home & away NRL attendance last year?

Not counting finals, Brisbane got a few 50,000+ games and a few 40,000+ games. The biggest game in Sydney(non-finals) was around 42,000. There were quite a few games 35,000+. Keep in mind a lot of teams stadiums don't hold much more than 18-20,000.

Live attendance i rarely see games over 15,000 Nrl the only Afl games that low would be north v port in goldcoast. or north vs melbourne.

Any way here guys knock your selves out

Talking Footy - 2009 AFL, NRL, ARL & ARU Football TV Ratings

i have never seen a tv ratings list before but dont those tv ratings favour the NRL???

IE: Rnd 1 the nrl has 3 games listed and the afl has 8 games listed
and
the NRL Figures for the 3 games are well over half of the afl figures who had 8 games listed

this has been a very funny read :p
clearly shane_sharks know nothing about AFL, im the first to admit i know nothing about rugby but i wont go chirping my month off about something i know nothing about. whats western sydney folding got to do with which is more popular? im hoping west syd fold too coz i wont a tassie team first dam it ;) and the all aust team plays Irland Shane, just incase you were making a smart comment without knowing all the info.

they are both big games here in Oz but lets be honest with ourselves here guys, AFL is clearly the more popular of the 2 sports, in every aspect. even if you are a die hard league or union fan, its not hard to see that AFL is more popular around the whole country!

clearly you know nothing about NRL

Lets settle this attendance debacle!

2009 AFL Season had 6,373,355 people in 176 matches at 36,212 per match.
2009 NRL Season had 3,412,872 people in 201 matches at 16,979 per match.

Lets settle this attendance debacle!

2009 AFL Season had 6,373,355 people in 176 matches at 36,212 per match.
2009 NRL Season had 3,412,872 people in 201 matches at 16,979 per match.

I spose this is done and dusted AFL is twice as popular.We can now put this thread to bed.In the end its all about bums on seats.:thumbsup:

I spose this is done and dusted AFL is twice as popular.We can now put this thread to bed.In the end its all about bums on seats.:thumbsup:

You're a true idiot if you think that. In reality it is a combination of many factors.

NRL grounds in general do not hold as many as the AFL crowds, for one thing.

I think another big factor is that AFL must be better to watch at the ground. On tv it's quite difficult to get a good gist of what is going on, with the open unstructured layout. Rugby league is the perfect tv sport, because probably 95% of the action fits perfectly into the tv screen.

But if a potential sponsor is looking at getting involved in a sport, you're mad if you think they aren't going to consider crowds and tv ratings. The total number of people watching the sport is what's important. I haven't seen any convincing arguments as to which has the highest in this thread.

But really, who cares ... if you enjoy league watch that, if you enjoy AFL watch that, if you enjoy both, watch both.

This whole thread is like comparing apples to oranges...NRL and AFL cant be compared as they are two very different games involving different skills and talents.
Brplat

can i just say there is no other game i believe where you get a point for missing. by the way the actual figures for grand final's tv and crowd are as follows:-
afl - 105,000 crowd + 2.3million viewers = 2,405,000 million viewers
nrl - 80,000 crowd + 3.2 million viewers = 3,280,000 million viewers
so going on total crowds and viewers nrl is far and away more popular and better to watch

Did noone read the first post? It asks which CARDS are more popular, not asking for a pissing contest on why one code is better than the other.
Because it has completely gone from the original topic and it appears some people can't have a civil debate without resorting to name calling im going to close this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom