• Total voters

JZA

the ginger ninja
Real Name
Jeremy
eBay User
jeremy1439
I thought this might be a fun exercise.

Tell us who you think is the best card company of all time: Fleer, Topps, Upper Deck, or perhaps another brand entirely? tell us why you think they are the best.

Upper Deck, for a number of reasons. I know, most of you think I'm crazy for saying that, lol, but there is good reason or 2! And I don't think box odds should go against them! lol.
Firstly, where are fleer? Upper Deck has made some seriously good advancements with trading cards since they came into the hobby. They also have LeBron, MJ and Kobe on their books.
Too easy of a decision I think?

Yep, I had to go with Upper Deck too! My reasons:
1. Fleer = Bust
2. Most of UD's design are quite nice to look at, Topps can be incredibly ugly and Fleer = Bust
3. They have the big guns signing for them
4. They release affordable products to the average collector and high end stuff which I think Topps is trying to follow

for me its a tough question. i wouldnt put topps because ive never bought much topps stuff, finest (and the introduction of refractors) was a revolutionary product but i dont think they have much else to boast about, sure they have the history and im sure a vintage collector like chad could appreciate them more, but ive never been a topps man.

Upper Deck have been both the saviour and the Anti-christ of the industry. i have very fond memories of busting a hell of a lot of 93-94 UD cos they were glossy nice cards with cool inserts, they even had a cool hologram, which somehow lent their cards an air of authenticity and more value...back in the day UD were cool. but as they have sought to climb their way to the top of the ladder they lost their way. some landmark products like their SP spinoffs were excellent but have soured in recent times. and off course their premium focused exquisite and ultimate has changed the hobby forever, some would argue it has damaged the hobby. certainly the hobby is more geared towards the richer older collector nowadays, and thus has changed the nature of card collecting now so that its more a business than a hobby. can anyone else remember the days of busting a pack and being over the moon if we pulled a simple base card of a star player?

Fleer probably hold a place closest to my heart because they were my first cards i collected. 92/93 hoops were some of the dullest looking cards ever but i still get warm fuzzies when i see them. and the 94/95 fleer with the 1 insert per pack and the chance of the holy grail, a hot pack! busted so many of these packs its not funny. skybox premium were very cool back in the day as well, great design, cool inserts. fleer were cool, they didnt have the ingenuity or business smarts of UD though. they didnt have a premium product like SP, ultimate, finest, pristine and so they died a slow death. i gotta go with fleer though, so many good memories...:D

Topps for me... Finest does it for me period... plus the uncirculated cards coming outta their ears..... I love that...

UD I must admit I used to be an UD girl but Lippo converted me ;)

Well, this is a hard question. I quite like the inserts from Fleer better than Upper Deck. I guess I had to go with UD cause Fleer is bust. There was an article by some member on beckett several weeks ago on how UD wrecked the hobby, I agree with some parts and diagree with some parts. Quite a good read if you have the time.

yeah i read that post/rant on beckett it was quite good and i definitely agree with some of his points. everyones says fleer went bust, which i dont see as relevant at all, im talking about over their whole time in the industry who is the best. their products were aewsome, them going out of business didnt have anything to do with the quality of their product.

perhaps the question is worded wrongly, i meant it more as "which company is your favourite and why?" if your going by the fiscal success of the company, then definitely, UD would be the best.

i've always been a topps man...

i love finest and when i was younger and had no $$$ topps were always the cheapest to buy :)

i was also a big fleer collector

and upper deck

hmmm i like them all

Damn RIGHT JZA! Topps for me. Without them I wouldn't have anything to collect from they Dynasty era and Cousy and Russell would be cardless. Good on them for sticking it out all those years.

For the modern era fleer without a doubt. Never afraid to take a risk and bring out some great sets over time. They didn't just have to rest on their laurels like UD who basically give you the chance of a Jordan/Bron auto etc to entice you to a product. UD has used this monopoly and better manangement to put out the competitors.

Fleer has catered more for the collector I say rather than the prospector. Money isn't alway a good thing for the hobby as we have seen. RIP Fleer :-(

Topps Finest & Chrome would be my favourite sets but overall I think Upperdeck gets the nod from me :)

value? i would have thought UD have the LEAST value for money, the hit to shit ratio is way more than fleer or topps. most people dont make back half the money on UD boxes, its not that great value.

alot more money cards in UD than topps or fleer. If you dont buy boxes and buy singles like me than UD wins by a mile in terms of bv :shock:
i hardly ever bust boxes because id much rather pick up a few autos here and there than buy a box that is full of base with hopeless odds of pulling something good.

Upperdeck simplely for their design. That the main reason why I collect the brand cause their graphic designers have got it down pat. I would love to get a job designing for them or any card company for that matter. Would rack up a massive bill.:D

Voted for UD, due to some of the concepts they introduced to the market.

But, thinking about it further, realised another company did this some of these things too, earlier. Anyone rmember Classic???

Voted for UD, as they were the first mainstream basketball manufacturer to introduce - Exclusive contracts (MJ), GU (97/98), Holo cards & security.

Classic did some of this with signing Shaq to an exclusive deal, but overall UD has had a greater influence on the direction of the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom