What's your favourite NBA release this year?

Coopz05

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Coopz
eBay User
healfan
Thought that Id start this topic to gauge others opinions on what was your favourite NBA release so far this year.

Dont get me wrong. For me at least, I think overall Panini's releases were mostly awful and filled with pointless numbered parallels to create a false sense of scarcity. And I fear, that after years of Panini's poor efforts, we've started to praise mediocrity. Especially when compared to what UD etc used to produce in the 90s

Back on topic;

I know most people will say Select or Prizm, but for me, my favourite has actually been Innovation.

The Inno inserts remind of the type of flair and creativity from the 90s. They have a nice shimmer to them, and the acetate cards look great. The best part for me is Innovations lack of parallels, which has bugged me all year with Panini's other releases.

Only improvement for me, would've been to include base cards again. I think Innovation have been the best quality base cards in the lower price range in recent years, so it wouldve been nice to have them again.

I wouldve gone for every Kobe card in this years Inno if his stickers werent damn auto's.

Whats your fav and why?

Can be any reason why you like it.

Spectra has caught my eye big time. Love the green and orange RC AU's I have seen so far. All of it. Super patch autos, all star patch autos, Double Team jerseys. Awesome

Hard to go past Spectra for me and a close second has to be Elite.

Spectra has awesome pairings in the dual jersey/patch cards as Matt has already pointed out. Some amazing patches and low numbered on card autos of NBA legends and stars. Great value for your dollar also.

Many have knocked the design, but in hand it looks fantastic. The golds /10 are seriously underrated!

@GarnettFan4Life @ozballer23

Although all pro-spectra supporters say they're amazing in hand, Im yet to see one in person.

I feel like (from the pics) that they seem slightly tacky.

But I cant really have an opinion until I hold one I guess.

I will re-evaluate when I get a Kobe in hand.

I got outbid on the GOLD:(

@GarnettFan4Life @ozballer23

Although all pro-spectra supporters say they're amazing in hand, Im yet to see one in person.

I feel like (from the pics) that they seem slightly tacky.

But I cant really have an opinion until I hold one I guess.

I will re-evaluate when I get a Kobe in hand.

I got outbid on the GOLD:(

I have a few in hand and love them, but each to their own. Their thickness allows them to stay in good condition and not get cornered easily.

Yeah would have to agree Select and Spectra for the win this year.

Spectra are a quality made card! Thick stock and very nice in hand. Most patches Ive seen are very sweet too

Although Select has a little too many parallels like most of Panini's releases this year. Like the Purple refractor it has.

Just wish Panini would stick to 5-7 releases for the year not the 49,659 it has this year.

@M4YH3M1 its funny you say that preferred is rubbish.

I have been eagerly awaiting its release all year, and I saved and saved.

I had never bought a preferred box before, although I do have both Kobe Silo's and loved the design. Was even considering a full case.

Before buying, I watched a few case breaks and nearly vomited in my mouth;)

I never bought a single box. But I did pick up the Longley 1/1 cos I just couldnt resist.

I did a case of prizm this year, was fun and took ages and I enjoyed it.

I've busted more old UD products than any panini product this year, nothing beats a old school box of cards from UD... So many products and parraells it's a joke really. Might go buy another 09-10 UD hobby box right now... Yes good decision slimzy!!

@M4YH3M1 its funny you say that preferred is rubbish.

I have been eagerly awaiting its release all year, and I saved and saved.

I had never bought a preferred box before, although I do have both Kobe Silo's and loved the design. Was even considering a full case.

Before buying, I watched a few case breaks and nearly vomited in my mouth;)

I never bought a single box. But I did pick up the Longley 1/1 cos I just couldnt resist.

Preferred is killing me with different versions of autos! Blue, purple, red, base, /7, /15, /20, 1/1 to name a few lol

Easy - I pick signatures!

LOL JK! Easily the worst product this year IMO. The Film cards are the only thing out of it that makes it sell.

Actually I liked Select. The only product I busted myself from this year, I was big on last years release and unfortunately still think the 12-13 version is better... I agree with the comment about praising mediocrity. Whilst select certainly ranks right up the top, the product is not going to be memorable by any means. Having green /5 has killed any value in the golds, and the golds look so much better also which is a shame.

Last edited:
I think they should drop the green variation.

Make it 1/1 - Diamond or Platinum
/10 Gold or Titanium
/35 or /50 Silver
/50 or /100 Bronze

None of this /1, /5, /7, /10, /15, /20, /25, /30, /35

I was having a chat to @Quicksilver yesterday about the abundance of parallel's.
I was collecting Erik Murphy and Tony Snell as well as Nerlens Noel RC autos and last time I checked their was over 50 different RC auto's compared to a few years back when maybe 10 to 15 tops.

@Mr Paparazzi you read my mind. I was logging on to make the same point.

Get rid of the green.

They are hanging on to the popularity and value of the 2010-11 certified Green /5s. But they dont realise they ruined that the very next year by introducing the black 1/1s. Green went off in 10-11 cos, at the time, they were the rarest.

But Im with you, I also think Gold or platinum should be the highest because bronze, silver, gold seems common sense in determining values.

In what world would anyone assume something green is better than some thing gold?

Except American currency. Lol.

Im all for coloured parallels within reason, but Gold should be a lower print run than Green, surely.

The interesting thing is, the 10-11 certified Greens seem to remain the only Panini parallels to have held theyre value, because they ruined it from then.

A kobe 10-11 green went for nearly $400 just today. You could buy any of the Kobe 1/1s from any 13-14 releases for less than that.

Rant over:)

Last edited:
@Mr Paparazzi you read my mind. I was logging on to make the same point.

Get rid of the green.

They are hanging on to the popularity and value of the 2010-11 certified Green /5s. But they dont realise they ruined that the very next year by introducing the black 1/1s. Green went off in 10-11 cos, at the time, they were the rarest.

But Im with you, I also think Gold or platinum should be the highest because bronze, silver, gold seems common sense in determining values.

In what world would anyone assume something green is better than some thing gold?

Except American currency. Lol.

Im all for coloured parallels within reason, but Gold should be a lower print run than Green, surely.

The interesting thing is, the 10-11 certified Greens seem to remain the only Panini parallels to have held theyre value, because they ruined it from then.

A kobe 10-11 green went for nearly $400 just today. You could buy any of the Kobe 1/1s from any 13-14 releases for less than that.

Rant over:)
Greens originally went off because people thought they were the closest to the pmg's at that stage, they did do a black 1/1 in the 10-11 year.

Back
Top Bottom