What's black, white and Redd all over?

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
A sunburnt penguin....no

A newspaper, no...do they even still exist?

A panda in a giant blender...no again

The correct answer is this MIchael Redd thread - read away people!

Drafted late in the second round he beat the odds to not only stick on the roster for a couple years, but worked his way into the starting lineup, became the no. 1 scoring option, became an all-star, all-NBA player and earned a place on Team USA. Injuries to both his ACl and MCL basically cut his career short but his work ethic, humility and professionalism always stood out to me. a lefty assassin from deep this guy coudl make it rain with the absolute best of them. Scary to think what he'd average in today's small ball, run n gun, 3 ball dominated NBA.

I was going through a backlot of cards and noticed penty of Michel Redd, not sure what I've posted previously so there may be a lot of duplicated ontent here from years ago.... But there are some real classic throwback sets and prodcuts in here....

The Base -ish

03-04 SP Sgnature Edition /100
- beautiful looking cards in hand, anything serially numbered from the 90s or early 2000s I think is pretty undervalued. It was a different era back then, you didn;t expect an auto, you were thrilled to have received an auto of the biggest scrub with the words 'Congratulations!' printed across the back. I digress, fantastic shimmer on these cards, 03-04 was his breakout year and fist and only all-star and all NBA appearance.

1646960611779.jpeg

Exquisite anyone? The Rolls Royce of basketball cards for the Pre-Panini era. Nothing bad to say about thse cards, well executed and classicly understated - an icon for the ages. Slightly unusual for me to be bringing some class to the mailday threads but feast yoru eyes on these bad boys...

05-06 Exquisite /225

1646961205826.jpeg

06-07 Exquisite /225 - so nice I got it twice!

1646961407641.jpeg

1646961432785.jpeg

08-09 Exquisite /125 - yes I'm also wondering what happened to 07-08, pretty sure I had one of those too!

1646961532395.jpeg

The Threads - for some reason I have more patches than anything else of Michael Redd

SP
X Winning Materials - unfortuantely not too much post season success for Mr Redd, best he ever did was in his rookie year with those fire George Karl led Bucks teams which made it to the ECF. If I'm being deadset honest these cards are pretty ordianry to look at, but love the two different coloured jersey pieces.

1646961727190.jpeg

06-07 Topps Luxury Box Mezzanine Relics /349 - Technically not a patch or prime - but I'm claiming it is - big stitching popping out of the card in classic Bucks red and green. If this card had some sort of holo laser finish back in the day it woudl have been the bomb!

1646962226210.jpeg

09-10 Rookies & Stars Longevity Ruby Materials /250 - again, technically not a patch, but I'll cheekilyclaim that this one is as well.... Longevity isn't a word typically asociated with Michael Redd's career, basically had 5 good years total at his peak performance.

1646962986173.jpeg

10-11 Threads Century Collection Materials -Prime /50 - not a big fan of the piping patches, card design is little lazy too, but nice pic cpaturing that jump shot form, used to take it behidn his head and sort of catapult it at the hoop. Interesting sidenote for a career 38% shooter from deep.

1646963202760.jpeg

16-17 Noir Colour Maerials Pirme /49 - classic case of how and why black cards look stunning but always grade terribly. Have two fo this card because, well, I obviously lose track of what I purchase!

1646964157722.jpeg

1646964174814.jpeg

09-10 Elie Series Jersey Prime /50 - Check out the filthy patch! Absolutely mesmerising, 4 clour patch, stitching and breaks galore and from a relaitvely lowr end product too - love it!

1646964864874.jpeg

09-10 Elite Threads Jersey Prime / 50 - clearly the patch itsefl makes a big deffernece but a nice 3 colour patch with stitiching.

1646965171144.jpeg

06-07 UD Reserve Materials Gold /35 - Reserve is one of my favourite sets from back in the day, way under-rated imo, card finish and shimmer was exemplary, could look at them all day, scanner does this card and abolute injustice.

1646965501389.jpeg

06-07 UD Trilogy Generations Present Materials Patch /50 - the silver and purple really make this patch pop!

1646965836363.jpeg

06-07 Fleer EX Clearly Authentics Patch /75 - From the iconic EX series - these are about the only cards couldn't be done in that eye catchign acetate finish. This card managed to capture a bit of the silver too....

1646966616050.jpeg

04-05 Skybox Fresh Ink Property of patch /99 - tried soemthing really different here with the sweat shirt background, I don;t why I like it but I just do, catches the eye in a good way.patch even matches the card which adds to the overall effect.

1646966764991.jpeg

03-04 Fleer Patchworks Courting Greatness /50 - game worn jersey patch. not event used, not player worn, not prime - GAME WORN PATCH! How it always should be, not sure I'd boldly plaster that fact across the front of the card though....

1646967151674.jpeg

What's better than Exquisite? How about some 09-10 Extra Exquisite Jersey /50 -

1646967796801.jpeg

The Scribble

Redd isn't a prolific signer, but glad to have picked thee up along the way.

Fleer Tradition Autographics - nice on card rookie year auto. reminds me of how he had ot battle to even make it onto the roster in his rookie year as a second round pick. Have two of these as well which is becoming part of a theme for this mailday...

1646968393592.jpeg

1646968409724.jpeg

05-06 UD SIgnature Edition Marks of Distinction /40 - not sure how I feel about this card. Big empty space in the lower half of the card just screams out for a big on card auto, you can see hwo the sign has been abbreviated from his rookie year efforts too.

1646968531501.jpeg

Topps Mark of Excellence - massive on card auto and i just love the Topps stamping they used to have on all their autograph offerings - takes me ona trip down memory lane, Simple but nicely done, ticks all the right boxes.

1646969050481.jpeg

...and finally this last card and arguably my best was a big hearted gesture from Okramrajnoc many moons ago for which I'm extrmeely grateful.

05 -06 UD Hardcourt Signatures /50 - nice way to close thigns out!

1646969210315.jpeg

Thansk for looking and having a read - comments and likes always appreciated - it;s why people post mailday threads in the first place!

Cheers
Skip

Skip posting multiple maildays like its 2010 again!!!

There is some absolute class in here again! 05-06 exquisite base are possibly my favourite exquisite base cards.
Some nice chunky Bucks patches as well!

Skip posting multiple maildays like its 2010 again!!!

There is some absolute class in here again! 05-06 exquisite base are possibly my favourite exquisite base cards.
Some nice chunky Bucks patches as well!
Thanks Kiwi, turning back the clock indeed. Not a Chronicles, Mosaic or holo parallel prizm in sight! Makes for a different mailday experience.

Can't say that I'd have a favourite Exquisite set, what makes 05-06 stand out for you? ...and is that a widely held view in the hobby? Have lost touch somewhat....

Wow, massive variation in the Autos O_O
Love the Exquisite stuff, top shelf all the way.
That's me mate, shotgun approach to pretty anything. Or did you mean the variation in his sig? The.rookie autos certainly stand out from.that perspective.

Old school (Nba licensed) Exquisite ftw!

Thanks Kiwi, turning back the clock indeed. Not a Chronicles, Mosaic or holo parallel prizm in sight! Makes for a different mailday experience.

Can't say that I'd have a favourite Exquisite set, what makes 05-06 stand out for you? ...and is that a widely held view in the hobby? Have lost touch somewhat....
I wouldn't take my word on anything about any views in the hobby I definitely seem to be in miniority these days and out of touch too based on my experience at the hobby hangout here the other weekend.

Personally though I love the intricacies of the design through the middle of the card and think they look super clean

I wouldn't take my word on anything about any views in the hobby I definitely seem to be in miniority these days and out of touch too based on my experience at the hobby hangout here the other weekend.

Personally though I love the intricacies of the design through the middle of the card and think they look super clean
Fair enough and good point, similar rationale as to why the Topps Echelon autos are always rated fairly highly too.

I'm just an old fart clinging to a hobby - was speaking to soemone the other day who had no idea about the likes of Mark Price or Latrell Sprewell or Alonzo Mourning soemone of that caibre, just blew my mind!!!!

god damn! so many patches mate!! his signature is pretty cool!!!
The funny thign about MIchael Redd is that even though he was a fantastic player he never really ahd the accolades or accliam of some of his contemporaries so he doesn;t really feature in many iconic inserts or subsets. Since he;s not a big signer a lot of the better cards you end up gettng for him are serially numbered patches or memorabilia pieces.

His auto started out great, turned into initials and then ended up looking pretty cool. I don't think he;s signed a single card since about 2006....

Back
Top Bottom