What will be the new 'thing' in basketball cards???

SharpysSports

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Brendan
eBay User
bitecollectablesau
COMC User
Sharpyssports
As the title says. Back when I was a kid it was inserts. Then I had a break and have come back to numbered cards, jerseys, autographs and even video cards. My favourite (even though Panini has killed it this year) is the rainbow.

So my question is, in 5, 10, 20 years time where do you think Basketball cards will be? I don't know what else they can do however with advancements in technology I'm sure there will be something and I would love to hear other opinions on where our hobby will be in the future!!

Online virtual cards.
Something similar to the NBA HOOPS game, but each card is numbered and assigned to an owner.

They're already doing interactive VR cards for Nintendo, why not do it with NBA cards! Or perhaps "smartphone" integrations.

Perhaps go back to the Game-Dated cards, and include a short video from that player playing in that game! The size of a Micro SD card these days is tiny, and a 2GB card is cheap as! Would be pretty neat.

Even go down the path of including videos of players signing the cards! So you KNOW it's 100% real!

Heck, even show us the location of patches for the cards we own!

A database of every single patch card made from here on in. That would be a great start, do it for high-end products first if you must and see how it goes. It's all about appeasing collectors isn't it @Panini Blog ?

INk finger print cards, or something like that , what i would like to see is not just panini maiking nba cards, how nice would it be to be able to pull an mj patch card in bull uni?!

A database of every single patch card made from here on in. That would be a great start, do it for high-end products first if you must and see how it goes. It's all about appeasing collectors isn't it @Panini Blog ?

It's funny, someone actually took it upon themselves to to the Ultimate Premium Patches for every one that surfaced, but I think it's long gone since. But you're right, an actual database for patch authentication would be fantastic!

Nothing like THINKING you've bought something awesome, only to be told it's fake.

Not like they know how to be innovative themselves was more the point I was getting at...

yeah, that works to.
whatever new idea they come up with will end up just like the rest. over-produced to the point where no-one cares anymore...