What Select should really release

CardHawk

3Peat!
Real Name
Merz
Hardly been collecting cards for long but with what catching up I have done it seems alot of collectors are getting bored of the stale releases Select is putting out.

I figured I would see if I can come up with some type of sets that might excite collectors and give it some new life. Please discuss on what else can be added/changed in your opinion or feel free to post your only lists on what should actually be released.

I have come up with sets for both Series 1 and 2.

Series 1 Set:
  • Best 22 for commons set to replace the standard 220 commons set. Not entirely crucial.
  • Milestones set (can be canned really - only kept as it is good to highlight some type of players achievement)
  • Best and fairest set - Standard really
  • Rising star nominees - 23 card set for all 23 nominees - This can come with a redemption signature of the winner (can be moved to Series 2 - but would give something good to chase in Series 1)
  • Mark of the year nominees - 23 card set for all 23 nominees - with redemption signature of winner
  • Goal of the year nominees - 23 card set for all 23 nominees - with redemption signature of winner

Another set or two can be added. Parallels can be binned as they are utterly boring. A sticker set would be more fun rather than chasing a duplicate set of commons.

Series 2 Set:
  • Best 22 for commons set (as above)
  • AFL Hall of Fame set for inductees - celebrate each class of inductees
  • All Australian Set
  • Medal Winners Set
  • MVP Awards set - Not to be released as a separate set
  • Draft Pick Signatures set
  • Signed medal winners/redemption cards
- Brownlow medalist
- Coleman medalist
- Norm Smith medalist
- Jock McHale medalist for premiership coach​
  • Premiership predictor set to replace Premiership redemption
  • Brownlow predictor set to redeem redemption card above
That is 8 sets (outside of the commons) I can think of which Select can annually release. There is of course room for a unique set or two to be added in.

As mentioned feel free to come up with your own lists as well and just as I was writing this sentence why can we not have game used product cards? Pieces of shirts, shorts even footy's used would be amazing.

Please note I did not breakdown ratios or amount of cards to be released in each subset - time consuming lol.

Last edited:
Mate, the amount of thought and detail you have put in to your ideas is fantastic. I agree completely with the Mark of the Year and Goal of the Year concept for Series 1 and Jock McHale medallist redemption for series 2. I will need to affix my thinking cap to provide as detailed a list as you have :)

Mate, the amount of thought and detail you have put in to your ideas is fantastic. I agree completely with the Mark of the Year and Goal of the Year concept for Series 1 and Jock McHale medallist redemption for series 2. I will need to affix my thinking cap to provide as detailed a list as you have :)

Thanks mate, appreciate the response and look forward to your contribution :D

Brownlow and Premiership predictors - yes please.

No doubt - sets with a lot of meaning and prestige.

The platinum sets of 05 and 08 were 2 of the most collectible sets as well - especially 08..

Would love to see them back too.

I actually thought about doing something like this before this thread was posted, so figured I may as well post what I think Select should (and they could) do.

2014 Select Series 2

400 cases released; 9 cards per pack; $6 per pack; $200 per box; $3000 per case

1. Commons (288, 8: pack)

16 commons from each team, one of which is the team logo/checklist card. One full set per box exactly.

2. Foil Parallels (288, 1: pack without insert)

Parallel to the common set, this was designed to ensure you don't spend $30 and get 45 commons. You have to get something for your money. One full set per case.

3. History of the Brownlow (100, 1:6 packs)

This set celebrates the achievements of the recipients of the 99 Brownlow medals. 100th card is set checklist. Numbered to 384.

4. All Australians (22, 1:12 packs)

A set that recognises the 2013 All Australians.

5. Club Leaders (18, 1:18 packs)

Coaches often don't get much recognition, especially on cards. This is despite the fact they, along with the captain(s), are the leaders of the club. This set recognises the importance the captain(s) and coach have on clubs.

6. Premiership Predictors (18, 1:32 packs)

Each of the 18 teams get their own predictor cards. If you own one of the predictor cards of the 2014 Premiers, you can redeem a mini premiership set, including cards signed by the captain and coach. Numbered to 400. One full set per case exactly.

7. Medal Cards (8, 1:box)

Cards that celebrate the 2013 medal winners (Brownlow, Coleman, Norm Smith, MVP, Jock McHale, Mark of the Year and Goal of the Year). Numbered to 800. Two full sets per case exactly.

8. Draft Pick Signatures (28, 1:box)

Signatures of the future stars. Set includes the top 10 draft picks (numbered to 190) and each club's first pick after that (numbered to 250).

9. Legends of the Recent Past (40, 1:box)

Reminiscing on the feats of great players who retired between 10 and 20 years ago. Two or three per team except Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney. Numbered to 160.

10. Platinum Draft Pick Die Cut Signatures (28, 1:2 boxes)

Platinum Draft Picks make their return, this time with a difference: they have been signed by the players in silver pen! Top 10 picks numbered to 95, club's next top pick numbered to 125.

11. New Club Signatures (8, 1:4 boxes)

Every year during the Trade Period it is inevitable players will move clubs. This set gives you the chance to get a signature card of a star player in his new colours! Numbered to 200.

12. Star Patch Signatures (10, 1:10 boxes)

Patch cards are back! Each club that doesn't have a New Club signature gets a Star Patch Signature! Each card has a star-shaped match-worn patch and is signed by the star. For each star it's their first signature card. Numbered to 64.

13. Medal Winner Signatures (4, 1:case)

Cards are signed by the medal winners (Brownlow, Coleman, Norm Smith and Michael Tuck). Numbered to 100.

14. Ultra Redemption (1, 1:50 cases)

One of the rarest cards ever produced, and numbered to just 8, the Ultra Redemption if found can be redeemed for a full 2014 Select Series 2 master set. Numbered cards are numbered in silver and with a U in front, such as U001 / 400. The number on the Ultra Redemption matches the numbers on the redeemed cards.

What do you reckon? :)

Last edited:
I actually thought about doing something like this before this thread was posted, so figured I may as well post what I think Select should (and they could) do.

2014 Select Series 2

1. Commons (288, 8:pack)

16 commons from each team, one of which is the team logo/checklist card. One full set per box exactly.

2. Foil Parallels (288, 1:pack without insert)

Parallel to the common set, this was designed to ensure you don't spend $30 and get 45 commons. You have to get something for your money. One full set per box.

This set celebrates the achievements of the recipients of the 99 Brownlow medals. 100th card is set checklist. Numbered to 384.

Coaches often don't get much recognition, especially on cards. This is despite the fact they, along with the captain(s), are the leaders of the club. This set recognises the importance the captain(s) and coach have on clubs.

Each of the 18 teams get their own predictor cards. If you own one of the predictor cards of the 2014 Premiers, you can redeem a mini premiership set, including cards signed by the captain and coach. Numbered to 400. One full set per case exactly.

Cards that celebrate the 2013 medal winners (Brownlow, Coleman, Norm Smith, MVP, Jock McHale, Mark of the Year and Goal of the Year). Numbered to 800. Two full sets per case exactly.

Signatures of the future stars. Set includes the top 10 draft picks (numbered to 190) and each club's first pick after that (numbered to 250).

Reminiscing on the feats of great players who retired between 10 and 20 years ago. Two or three per team except Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney. Numbered to 160.

Platinum Draft Picks make their return, this time with a difference: they have been signed by the players in silver pen! Top 10 picks numbered to 95, club's next top pick numbered to 125.

Every year during the Trade Period it is inevitable players will move clubs. This set gives you the chance to get a signature card of a star player in his new colours! Numbered to 200.

Patch cards are back! Each club that doesn't have a New Club signature gets a Star Patch Signature! Each card has a star-shaped match-worn patch and is signed by the star. For each star it's their first signature card. Numbered to 64.

Cards are signed by the medal winners (Brownlow, Coleman, Norm Smith and Michael Tuck). Numbered to 100.

One of the rarest cards ever produced, and numbered to just 8, the Ultra Redemption if found can be redeemed for a full 2014 Select Series 2 master set. Numbered cards are numbered in silver and with a U in front, such as U001 / 400. The number on the Ultra Redemption matches the numbers on the redeemed cards.

Love the Ultra Redemption!

2014 Select Series 2

1. Commons (288, 8:pack)

2. Foil Parallels (288, 1:pack without insert)

Parallel to the common set, this was designed to ensure you don't spend $30 and get 45 commons. You have to get something for your money. One full set per box.

OMG this would be the best release ever and would sell out very quickly, you need a job at select

2014 Select Series 2

1. Commons (288, 8: pack)

2. Foil Parallels (288, 1: pack without insert)

Parallel to the common set, this was designed to ensure you don't spend $30 and get 45 commons. You have to get something for your money. One full set per case.

Some really good ideas, but all this in the one release, Select would never do it, and if they did box price would be $400 each. I would add the Rising Star and Tuck medals to the medals winners set, I have always thought Select need more than the standard 5 they normally use. I like the legends of the past set and also the new club signature set ideas. I like the tribute signature redemptions from the past, the Archer, Hird and Richo ones come to mind, if they did 3 medal winner redemptions and one tribute redemption it would be a nice mix.
But lets face it guys, Select don't have any competition in the industry, they wont be pushing any boundaries any time soon. They just arnt interested if listening to the collectors who buy their product. We all got excited when we heard patch cards were being released in the Eternity series, it was the biggest let down in history.

Some really good ideas, but all this in the one release, Select would never do it, and if they did box price would be $400 each. I would add the Rising Star and Tuck medals to the medals winners set, I have always thought Select need more than the standard 5 they normally use. I like the legends of the past set and also the new club signature set ideas. I like the tribute signature redemptions from the past, the Archer, Hird and Richo ones come to mind, if they did 3 medal winner redemptions and one tribute redemption it would be a nice mix.
But lets face it guys, Select don't have any competition in the industry, they wont be pushing any boundaries any time soon. They just arnt interested if listening to the collectors who buy their product. We all got excited when we heard patch cards were being released in the Eternity series, it was the biggest let down in history.
Do you think it would have to be that much? I had 400 cases produced @ $3000 each is a total of $1.2 million. Now I'm no expert in card producing by any means but say you wanted a 10% profit, that's still $1.09 million to create the series. Do you reckon that would be enough?

Do you think it would have to be that much? I had 400 cases produced @ $3000 each is a total of $1.2 million. Now I'm no expert in card producing by any means but say you wanted a 10% profit, that's still $1.09 million to create the series. Do you reckon that would be enough?

We are talking about Select here. Back to predictor cards, draft pick sigs, platinum sigs, new club sigs, patch sigs plus the usual redemptions, plus your ultra redemption idea. That's a lot more than Select have ever released in one series before. They would want to cash in on something like that. But it would never happen as it would mean Select would have to pull their finger out of their back side, wont happen this century mate!

i love your ideas but it is to much in one go mate! I would keep the history of brownlow and club leaders as great ideas. As much as i hate select you have to be smart as a company and putting all those cards in one release would be a waste.

And for reference If i was outlaying 1.09 million i would want a bit more of a return than 110,000. If so you may aswell put that 1.09 million in a high saver bank account (rouhly 8%) and you make roughly the same without any of the work

Now I'm not having a go at anyone here, but the people who are complaining about Select being boring, are also complaining that my release idea has too much good stuff in it!? Or maybe it would just be a shock to have a good release :eek:

no mate dont get me wrong i think your ideas are great but you have gone from one extreme to the other. Yes we want better cards and greater selection but if you put all those cards into one release without raising price significantly then it just wont work.

If you work it out your set would have 861 cards compared to 451 from prime last year. All that would mean is that cards would be numbered lower and cards would turn out like NBA where you can pay $5 for a card numbered to 20!!! Would also destroy the consistency of previous years as in 2013 you would have future force cards numbered to 40 worth say $200 and then in 2014 you would have cards similiar cards with similiar ratios that are worth 30 - 40 at max!!

Or Select would have to double the amount of cards they release and that wont happen as the market isnt out there to sell that many and it would mean double production costs!!

I am 100% with you and if select incorporated a few of your ideas they vwould improve signifcantly but there is much more factors that effect both business and the card industry that i think you may have overlooked!!

(But once again dont get me wrong i think you are spot on and love the effort)

no mate dont get me wrong i think your ideas are great but you have gone from one extreme to the other. Yes we want better cards and greater selection but if you put all those cards into one release without raising price significantly then it just wont work.

If you work it out your set would have 861 cards compared to 451 from prime last year. All that would mean is that cards would be numbered lower and cards would turn out like NBA where you can pay $5 for a card numbered to 20!!! Would also destroy the consistency of previous years as in 2013 you would have future force cards numbered to 40 worth say $200 and then in 2014 you would have cards similiar cards with similiar ratios that are worth 30 - 40 at max!!

Or Select would have to double the amount of cards they release and that wont happen as the market isnt out there to sell that many and it would mean double production costs!!

I am 100% with you and if select incorporated a few of your ideas they vwould improve signifcantly but there is much more factors that effect both business and the card industry that i think you may have overlooked!!

(But once again dont get me wrong i think you are spot on and love the effort)
Nah they're fair points, understand your reasons. So maybe spread it out a bit you reckon, say remove new club signatures and die cut platinum, and maybe even the predictors or something for the next series? And maybe the new club signatures could have updates every three or so years.

yeah so if we use last year for example they had:

12 commons per team
106 draft pick eminence
22 all australian
5 medals
11 premierships
28 dps (forget exact amount)
50 prime draft
1 premiership redemption (1 per case)
4 signature redempotion (2 per case i think)

so without working out you could follow your ideas and without changing ratios significantly you could do:

12 common per team (dont really think there is any need for 16 and wouldnt bother with paralals as they had them in series 1. also ruins ratios and would mean less other insert sets)
100 history of brownlow - replaces draft eminence
22 all australian - keep as it is a good set but maybe implement unique design
18 Club leader duos (coach and captain) - replaces premierships and is similiar to double trouble etc
28 DPS - Keep as really is a given
28 Platinum Draft Sigs and 18 Premiership Predictors - replaces Prime Draft
5 Star Patch Signatures (Make the medal winners and have patch cards with signatures) - replaces signature redemption
1 Brownlow Redemption (same as premiership with sig and 3 cards, maybe with stats, count etc) - replaces premiership redemption
Add in 1 Ultimate Redemption (complete master set) and 18 ultimate club redemptions (Get complete set of whatever club on redemption card with all cards in that set numbered with a C instead of number and UR for ultimate redemption)

What do you reckon? Would be able to maintain ratios and roughly same amount of cards!

(and very rough so obviously would need tinkering to maintain numbers/ ratios, was just trying to show what would replace what etc)

Back
Top Bottom