What is your first ever NBA memory? What got you into it in the first place?

loafic

Walt Frazier Collector
Real Name
Branko
eBay User
loafic
hey all

i was watching a dvd ive had for a while the other day - magic johnson always showtime and on it it had the 1992 all star game, the game magic came back for when he was voted in by the fans after we found out he had hiv a few months earlier.

anyway it got me thinking that it was actually the game i watched, not quite all of it, back 20 years ago in 1992 that got me interested in the nba. we were visiting some family friends in dandenong and the 2 boys were watching the game when we arrived. i had been aware of jordan magic bird etc but this introduced me to it in another light. i asked them to make a copy of it on video cassette which they did for me and to this day remains my favorite all star game of all time... in the next few months i was watching nba action religiously on channel 10 saturdays, just starting to dabble in hoops and skybox trading cards so i could feel as close to the action as possible without actually being there, playing ball regularly, buying hoop magazine often etc

then the next season it went to another level... 1993 nba jam session came to town at the then melbourne entertainment center (now collingwoods home - the westpac center)... i actually won 4 front row tickets at msd sports across from the city square in melbourne after i purchased something from there and saw hakeem olajuwon, muggsy bogues, buck williams, bj armstrong, stacey king, greg anthony etc which was very fun and entertaining - we then also went on another day actually at the city square and got our in person auto's (i still have hakeems one) and got to shake hands with hakeem, anthony & bj - very cool to say the least... then i started buying the iconic 92/93 hoops & 92/93 upper deck cards religiously from my local newsagent near home and used to buy them almost everyday after school

after that i was hooked...

Oh The memories I went to the NBA Jam Session in sydney with my dad when I was a kid and that was a awesome event my dad wasn't a basketball fan but was impressed about the way the americans put on a show. The standouts were the team mascots doing the incredible dunks. I used to watch the NBA programming on channel 10 religiously and was a big Golden State & Sprewell fan also went to quite a few Sydney Kings games in the glory years of the NBL imports like The Hammer and Dwayne Mcclain I used to get free tickets when a season ticket holder at my dads work couldn't make the shows.

I don't follow NBA as much as NFL these days and don't support a team its much better that way as I can watch the best match ups of the day without bias of having to watch the team I support but I recently picked up the 1988-1989 Detroit Pistons 11 Disc Box Set on DVD the Badboy team up against a young Jordan,Pippen & Horace Grant and the finals sweep of the Lakers with a ageing Magic Johnson & Jabbar awesome buy for $25 on Amazon

Heres the link if anyone wants to buy the set it worked out to $36.00AUD with postage but once these sell out they will go up in price a fair bit as the 94 Houston v. Knicks set is sold out and going for $100 from resellers so I ended up downloading it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000I2JDFS/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Your showing your age Branko, my very first memory would have to be watching the Melbourne Tigers play in 1989 or 90, I was a huge Andrew Gaze & Dave Simmons fan but also jumped on all the hype surrounding Michael Jordan like every kid did back then. I also remember jumping on the Patrick Ewing bandwagon which then led to me wearing everything related to Ewing, the Black Suede Ewing33 Hi Tops were my first basketball shoe in approx 1990 and now these bad boys have just made a return with Ewing Athletics releasing the whole series once again.:kick:

Ewing33Hi-Black-White.jpg

A small group of us would jump on our BMX bikes every weekend to make the pilgrimage from Footscray to a few card stores, one was in Alexander Rd, Moonee Ponds & the other Puckle St, Moonee Ponds but a pit stop was made halfway at Highpoint Shopping Centre where there was a small sports shop that stocked packs. My first exposure to basketball cards would have to be 1989 Hoops Wax Packs from memory, you had the ability to see through the packs and didn't the shop owner hate that but pulling a Jordan base card was huge and you treasured that like it was a #1/1.:lol:

So many great memories, we didn't have the use of internet or mobile phones back then but there was enough exposure to keep us up to date both on T.V. & magazines.

hard to pinpoint exactly,,, i remember hype about mj and shaq, but not alot of vision early on... started collecting 93/94 upperdeck as many did(i think). im going with payton and kemp ...half court alley-oops and MONSTER dunks from kemp, still love the kemp highlights. my first pc = kemp

A mate of mine in school had the Ewing Shoes I stuck with Jordans at the time.
My Personal favourite although they have aged a bit now are the Reebok Pump Above The Rims that were released around the same time as the movie I got them for my 13th Birthday in 1994. I wish they would re release these instead of the Dee Browns
on another note I can't believe I threw out a pair of Nike Chris Webber shoes in the early 2000's got them from the Nike Factory for cheap but I never liked them at the time I had them sitting in my closet mint condition for years until I threw them to make space being a sneaker head now I cry about this move

Heres the Above the Rim Pumps

abovetherim.jpg

Heres the Chris Webbers

webber.jpg

NBA Action on channel 10... With Bill Woods and Steve Carfino lol
But the first ever game I remember watching was one of the eastern conference finals game
between bulls vs Knicks (90/91 season) that series was epic! Wish they had that series on dvd

NBA Action on channel 10... With Bill Woods and Steve Carfino lol
But the first ever game I remember watching was one of the eastern conference finals game
between bulls vs Knicks (90/91 season) that series was epic! Wish they had that series on dvd

If I ever see the whole series up on torrent I will download it and send it to you I recently got the 1981 ECSF Game 7 and the 1987 WCSF Game 4 a series from that era should be up on the net somewhere also if you have no problem with a DVD-R Trader/Seller look a few up I am sure they will have it.

I have worked out it was in the 93-93 Season, I somehow??? Caught footage of David Robinson playing and thought that this guy was the best sportsman I had ever seen! Not just his game, but his attitude!

Then, in 93-94 when the Spurs got The Worm in....

But, the thing that made me a Spur/D Rob fan for life???

This:

Only the 5th Quadruple Double in NBA HISTORY, with 34, 10, 10 & 10

And, the LAST one recorded, that's right, NONE since 94! And the way the game is now, there will probably never be another??!!??

Oh yeah, and there was this:

The way the CLIPPERS' crowd was behind D Rob is something else!!

seems like most of our nba memories started around the same time... mostly early 90's for the most part

Mine was 'Baby Jordan' Harold Miner winning the Dunk Comp, being a skinny tall undeveloped teenager I thought to myself, this is a sport I could play well.

Nice stories guys. Good stuff.

My first NBA memory was when I heard on the radio that the Houston Rockets had beaten the New York Knicks in game 7 of the 94 NBA finals. I was already playing basketball at that age and also had some cards from 93/94. But this is my first real NBA memory. Jordan had left and there was this new guy everyone loved by the name of Shaquille O'Neal.

What a time. Hypercolour t-shirts, teenage mutant ninja turtles, basketball cards and the NBA.

great memories:)

Nice stories guys. Good stuff.

My first NBA memory was when I heard on the radio that the Houston Rockets had beaten the New York Knicks in game 7 of the 94 NBA finals. I was already playing basketball at that age and also had some cards from 93/94. But this is my first real NBA memory. Jordan had left and there was this new guy everyone loved by the name of Shaquille O'Neal.

What a time. Hypercolour t-shirts, teenage mutant ninja turtles, basketball cards and the NBA.

great memories:)

Life was definitely a lot simpler back then.

For me it was way back 1984 when I first started playing ball as an 8 year old. I remember winning tickets to see the Perth Wildcats play the Canberra Cannons in Perth. But it wasn't until a few years later that I was introduced to the NBA, I went to The Black Pearls (Cal Bruton) training camp. A the camp they had an NBA stand with all kinds of mem stuff. I bought my very first pack of Hoops cards and the very first card that I got was D. Rob Rookie of the Year card so that's who I started to follow. Last year I got to fulfil a dream and go to San Antonio to see the Spurs kick the Heat by 30. :D

I'd finished playing my first season of basketball in 1983....U10's......and we were having an awards presentation at someones house. My neighbour and I both received medals and a poster....mine was of Magic, his was Larry Bird. It was around the same time that the Lakers/Celtics championship was being shown on TV here....from that moment on I've supported the Lakers and the NBA....and I still have the Magic poster!!!

What got me into basketball:
Watching NBA Jam Session VHS tapes and playing NBA Jam on the Sega Mega Drive, then backyard basketball with mates. I had Double Dunk on the atari years before that, but it didnt get me "into" basketball per-say.

What got me into collecting cards:
See above + Royal Hobart Show, NBA Jam Session Showbag. lol. 9-pocket page full of 90-91 Hoops cards. Bill Fitch Coach Card was my FIRST ever card, lol.

What got me into basketball was a weird story. I had gone to bussellton for a family trip, and there was this op shop with loads of books. So my mum found these nba Books. Back then i barely knew who michael jordan was. So i started reading the book, then i was so addicted and started studying the stats and everything. Thats my story

Back
Top Bottom