What does Australia Day mean to you?

wolvesjr34

Morrow Super Collector
Real Name
AJ
eBay User
wolvesjr34
I want to do a social experiment. I would like all people who read this, to put down their genuine feelings on what Australia Day means to them, and what they believe it is about. I don't want anybody to respond to anybody else, just put down your own innermost feelings about the day. Thank you.

For me its a day with the extended family having a BBQ, playing cricket, going in the pool, having a few drinks, dressing up in our aussie gear but most importantly of all......being thankful for living in what I believe is the best country on the planet!

To me it is a salute to the diversity of this nation we love.
We are most of us, from somewhere else either in the last few generations or the present.
We respect that this is a culturally diverse nation, accept our way of life and we will accept you.
Keep it Australia Day we don't need a Citizens Day.

Australia Day to me is a time to give thanks for the liberties and freedom of choice that we are allowed in this country, to belt out the national anthem when it plays during the cricket coverage and to also remember those who served Australia during periods of conflict.

Coming as it does in the middle of summer, Australia Day conjures thoughts of "give a mate a hand during a crisis" and of course - for me anyway - it would not be complete without listening to John Williamson's "True Blue".

In today's world almost any national or traditional celebration is seemingly actively DISCOURAGED by minority groups and civil liberties groups and I feel that it is important that the values and principles of those who lived in the depression era and the two World Wars are upheld and always used as a template for our society.

For me it means a lot of what has been said, but more and more it makes me feel like I should apologise for having European ancestors. I am sorry I am White, I am sorry my ancestors if I have any English ones invaded this country and killed a lot of members of nomadic tribes. But it wasn't me and I just want to pay respect to those before me, especially those who died to make this place better and safer for ALL.

Honestly, I am not a fan of Australia Day at all!

I don't see why we need a particular day to catch up with family, that can be done any weekend.
I just see all of the idiots who use it as a way to get drunk and be racist by 'showing their patriotism'.

The Perth sky works is awesome though, and this year will be the best ever!

I don't see why we need a particular day to catch up with family, that can be done any weekend.
I just see all of the idiots who use it as a way to get drunk and be racist by 'showing their patriotism'.

Similar view to myself. Except for the fireworks :thumbsdown:

In a way, it's just another day for me. But in another way, it's a day to be thankful for living in this country. all of my ancestors came here as free settlers, so i have no guilt for my Euro-heritage, knowing there's no pom in there - just Italian, Irish, a smidgeon of scottish and German.

Pretty much the same for me. I'll get together with a few mates, have a barbie and probably MORE than a few drinks, but the dominant thing I've been taking from Australia day the last 5 years or so, is how more and more clowns use it as an excuse to drape themselves in the flag , (I don't consider myself nationalistic, but I believe the flag belongs on a flag-pole, not some drunk bogan's back...), get absolutely trashed, and threaten either verbally or physically anyone who doesn't fir THEIR idea of what an "Australian" is.

2 years out of the past 6 or 8, my brother-in-law, who is korean by birth, but already a citizen, has been targetted by drunk yobbo's. Once they "just" threw eggs at him from a passing car and called out a few racist insults, but the 2nd time he was physically assaulted by 4 maori's/islanders, and their token "Vanilla (Sl)ice" chihuahua, and told, ironicly, to "go back to his own country"... I'm all for the back yard beers, barbie and cricket, but in my mind it's becoming less of that, and more "who can be the biggest knob"!

The last few years when I've gone down the pub on Australia day, has really just reinforced my opinions, and led to me skipping it this year in exchange for the smaller gathering with friends. It may have been a noble idea to start with, but now it's just been corrupted too much...

For me, it is an uncomfortable day as it is basically an anniversary of white settlement and i am reminded of the terrible way Indigenous Australians were treated and continue to be treated in this country. Perhaps a celebration of our multiculturalism on a different day would be more appropriate. I'm all for a celebration of our multiculturalism, being lucky to live in a country which is relatively safe and life is relatively good for most people etc. and i'm not against anyone having a few drinks and a good time with friends but for too many it is a drunk and often racist celebration, something that being Australian unfortunately has come to represent somewhat.

Unfortunately these days patriotism or any generally nationalistic ideals can be construed as being racist or elitist. So we embrace multiculturalism and reconciliation for 364 days a year but on Australia Day some people get upset about what happened 200+ years ago and the fact that a drunken minority tend to bung on an an act. Anyway, all this (mostly media driven I must admit) leaves me a bit cold, my cynicism gets the better of me.
Still, I'll be acknowledging the day, spending time with the family (doesn't happen often enough these days), cricket on the telly, BBQ lunch washed down with a few cleansing ales. Certainly not intending to offend anybody. ;)

I usually don't do anything, can't even remember previous years so I can't of done much. Maybe just a few drinks with mates, I'm totally against racism but on the other hand I don't see a problem with being proud of who we are.

For me, it is an uncomfortable day as it is basically an anniversary of white settlement and i am reminded of the terrible way Indigenous Australians were treated and continue to be treated in this country. Perhaps a celebration of our multiculturalism on a different day would be more appropriate. I'm all for a celebration of our multiculturalism, being lucky to live in a country which is relatively safe and life is relatively good for most people etc. and i'm not against anyone having a few drinks and a good time with friends but for too many it is a drunk and often racist celebration, something that being Australian unfortunately has come to represent somewhat.

what a crock of shit.

Back
Top Bottom