Vintage Breaks are busting an 86 fleer box

Coopz05

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Coopz
eBay User
healfan
$2000 per pack. This will be epic!

For those who dont know, 86 fleer packs were packed sequentially, and have see thru packaging, which is why you never buy a loose pack if you want the MJ rc. Sealed boxes are your only hope, but thought to no longer exist. This one was a classic find that has been authenticated by BBCE.

The sequential packaging means there's is a guaranteed 3, but possibly 4 MJs in this box, with bgs10s having sold for $100k in the past.

Basically, you'd have a roughly 1in10 chance of pulling a possible high grade MJ rc for $2000.

Oh, and PSA are grading any MJs from this break for free!

http://www.vintagebreaks.com/1986-f...sa-10-michael-jordan-rookie-worth-20-000.html

Anyone game enough to go in? I cant wait to watch

Havent watched yet, but thats a solid haul if correct!

Did psa grade then & there on the spot? Or are they guessing?

If I pulled a psa10, Id be super tempted to re-submit it to bgs. Psa is obvs the vintage go-to but a bgs10 is closer to $50-60k

Havent watched yet, but thats a solid haul if correct!

Did psa grade then & there on the spot? Or are they guessing?

Guy I see just guessing, going to psa later. Darren Rovell from ESPN was there and busted a pack and they rang one of the guys who hit a Jordan, pretty cool

The last MJ pulled:
View: https://youtu.be/mUZOjwdx8Ew

I used to think this was the holy grail of vintage cards but if you are getting one every 12 packs or so, it's really not rare at all. There must be tens of thousands of these cards.

The last MJ pulled:
View: https://youtu.be/mUZOjwdx8Ew

I used to think this was the holy grail of vintage cards but if you are getting one every 12 packs or so, it's really not rare at all. There must be tens of thousands of these cards.

That doesn't really make it any less of a holy grail.

Especially when you consider what the card could mean 20, 30 or 50 years down the line.

MJ is literally the main reason most people got in to basketball.

That doesn't really make it any less of a holy grail.

Especially when you consider what the card could mean 20, 30 or 50 years down the line.

MJ is literally the main reason most people got in to basketball.
Agreed about MJ being one of the biggest reasons for basketball's popularity.

However, I do think one of the intrinsic values of cards is about "perceived scarcity" and PSA population has over 16,000 cards of this card. Not to mention BGS and other grading companies, and then there's the tens of thousands of ungraded copies.

I mean, nearly every sports collectors wants one, I get that. But for a common card that's been mass printed, me personally, I think it's too much to spend on.

• i

Darren RovellESPN Senior Writer

• On Wednesday night in Somerset, New Jersey, well-heeled collectors got a chance to go back to the past and take a shot at opening packs of 1986 Fleer basketball cards.

Neglected by collectors at the time for baseball cards, the 1986 Fleer set became one of the hottest sets in the hobby as the value of a Michael Jordan rookie card skyrocketed over the past 10 years. Jordan's 1986 card is considered his rookie card, as no major brand produced basketball cards in his first two seasons in the league.

"Back then, there was so little interest that you could buy packs of those cards for 25 cents for a couple years," said Leighton Sheldon, who bought a 1986 Fleer set for $75,000 in July.

Sheldon sold the 36 packs in the set for $2,000 apiece, then opened each of them live on his website Wednesday night.

Opening the box was as intense as expected, especially because there wasn't a Jordan pulled for the first half of the box.

"I was doing my best to stay to calm," Sheldon said. "I wanted a Jordan in the worst way."

That came in Pack 19, which was bought by a collector named Brian Dwyer. The card was nearly perfect -- a possible gem mint 10, which could be worth $20,000.

"Seeing it come out of the pack on camera was incredible," Dwyer said. "I'm babbling now just talking about it."

Dwyer is a baseball card collector who didn't own a single basketball card before tonight.

"I thought the concept of opening packs on a bigger scale was a good one," Dwyer said. "It was good to be a part of."

Two other Jordans came out of the box in packs 29 and 35, but none as centered as Dwyer's.

upload_2017-9-8_16-9-53.png

The three Michael Jordan rookie cards pulled on Wednesday. Darren Rovell/ESPN
Sheldon is the owner of Vintage Breaks, which buys pieces of boxes and cases of old, unopened cards and sells them fractionally, allowing collectors to invest by the unopened pack or even down to the card.

He bought the 1986 Fleer box, which typically contain three to four rookie Jordans, at the National Sports Collectors Convention in Chicago in July and offered collectors a piece of the action for $2,000 a pack.

The buyers of the packs, which come from as far away as Hawaii, were declared before the packs were opened at the headquarters of Sheldon's vintage card business, Just Collect.

Back
Top Bottom