Using stored US funds direct for paypal

fastnbulbous

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Tom
This is probably a bit of a stretch for general basketball, but i thought others may be in similar situations and may have some experience to comment on.

Like some others, i usually list and sell items in US currency (even though i am Australian).
This has led to getting an amount of currency in USD in my paypal account.
We are currently planning a trip to the USA and i am curious if there are any ways where i can use this USD stored in paypal, direct in the US, without converting the money twice.

I have briefly read about a paypal debit card, which sounds interesting, although i am not sure how it works if it thinks i am Australian and might want to convert all my money to AUD or something.
https://www.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/account/DCIntro-outside

At least, for some things, where there might be an option to use paypal (eg booking htoels etc) i should be able to use the paypal option to use my US currency direct.

I am more interested if anyone knows of mechanisms to withdraw or use as EFTPOS, the US currency stored in my account (without paypal double dipping on conversion)?

Thanks

You can link a credit card to your PayPal. I'd suggest getting a VISA Travelex Card or similar to use abroad and load the USD onto it direct from your PayPal. Hope that helps!

LOL Yes you can OP!

I did it a long time ago with a lot of money sitting in my Paypal in U.S funds, all I did was open a U.S bank account(speak to an accountant on how to do that) and transferred it over! I was at $22,000 U.S at one stage...

Very easy to do once you have a U.S bank account in place, the problem is that if you have over $10,000 in there, the tax man from Australia will look into it and expect a slice of the pie(ways around that too)...

Oh, and your welcome with the MJ Playmaker sale!
I got the guy to buy that off you from Australia, we were just scared of it's condition but the price was right anyway!

You can link a credit card to your PayPal. I'd suggest getting a VISA Travelex Card or similar to use abroad and load the USD onto it direct from your PayPal. Hope that helps!

This sounds like what i want to do.

I have a 28degrees/wizardclear advantage master card (which might actually be better than the travelex card? ) and it is already linked to my account, in terms of being a fund source.
edit: Actually i imagine even if i could do this it would automatically convert to AUD using paypal conversion anyway. Maybe a travelex or a card which knows about foreign currency would be required. The 28 degrees cards is great for not having conversion fees and has pretty good conversion rates

What is not clear is how you transfer money to a linked credit card?
I didn't know you could do anything like that...
I can only withdraw into linked bank accounts

Last edited:
LOL Yes you can OP!

I did it a long time ago with a lot of money sitting in my Paypal in U.S funds, all I did was open a U.S bank account(speak to an accountant on how to do that) and transferred it over! I was at $22,000 U.S at one stage...

Very easy to do once you have a U.S bank account in place, the problem is that if you have over $10,000 in there, the tax man from Australia will look into it and expect a slice of the pie(ways around that too)...

Oh, and your welcome with the MJ Playmaker sale!
I got the guy to buy that off you from Australia, we were just scared of it's condition but the price was right anyway!

Thanks mate :)

I don't quite have 22K yet ;p

Back
Top Bottom