Update from ESP/TLA on this years NRL Releases

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
From ESP/TLA

I thought I would give you a quick updated on where TLA is at with our NRL Trading Card program.

Traders 2016 Approaching a Sell out!

Traders 2016 has been a runaway success, we are about to allocate the last 32 cases of Traders 2016 to a hand full of buyers and to Coles Express, this will result in us selling out of this year’s release if sales continue to track the way they are. The vast majority agree with us, this was superb and represented great value. The set has poled very well in the collector market, the team at TLA worked hard to deliver as much value and content as possible and the loyal card Collectors and NRL fans have responded accordingly.

As always we remain open to good and bad feedback, in fact our product manager Brooke Clark monitors the feedback on OZ Card on a regular basis and keeps a detailed record of likes and dislikes with each releases, rest assured we use this feedback to guide improvements we can make to future release. Our aim is to improve year on year with new content and special insert sets, based on the success in 2016 we have already started planning the Traders release for 2017, so keep that feedback coming. The set size is always a hot topic, and something we will address in 2017, or at least try to!!! As it’s me that want to keep adding in new subsets….

With such a small amount of product now left in the market for sale we encourage all collectors and NRL fans to pick up what they can when they see it. The Traders 2016 release is official off sales on the 31st of October 2016, this is when unsold product will be recalled from Newsagents and Convenience store, as we have done in previous years single unsold packets will be donated to remote and country Schools throughout Australia and New Zealand, or we will use its as rewards and gift for Junior Rugby League Clubs end of year celebrations.

Thanks to all the loyal NRL fans and NRL cards collectors for the great support they have shown this year’s release.

NR Extreme PP a record year of performance

NRL Extreme PP like its older brother has also hit its straps, sales are continuing to climb and will surpass 2015.

The new formatted cards, new sub sets, more stats have really hit a cord with collectors and younger NRL fans, the demand for the product when we sample at NRL Games is extremely high, in fact we aren’t taking enough product to completely satisfy the thousands of kids that flock to our sampling teams prior to home NRL games.

Hard core collector feedback on the improvements made in with this release have been extremely positive, hence our sales are up in this space, as is the secondary market value of individual NRL Extreme PP cards which is great to see!

To those collectors that are already collecting this product we would like to say thank you, and to those collected yet to give it a go, why not buy a packet and send us your feedback.

Starter packs for both Trader and Power Play Extreme 2016 have been a massive success, in only 6 shorts weeks 100% of the product had been allocated and we are tracking to a 95% sell out, an incredible result!

NRL Elite Is coming !!

NRL Elite 2016 is in final production, the release will be the best yet!

We hear that the rumour mill is in full swing, we love the passion guys so keep it up! You can expect to see detailed information on the release the first week in July, but let’s get the election of the way first.

There is plenty to look forward to in this release including 36 Signature cards to collect, two different Mojo sets and four different 1/1 cards, a first for NRL Cards. We have complete redesigned the common cards incorporation a more vintage look and feel across the base card set, finally watch out for the bonus box cards!!

As an exclusive to OZ Card members we have included an image of the Broncos 1/1 card with its Gold Plated Metal Frame, a great looking card and a joint venture between TLA and Futera Trading Cards, this won’t be in pack but the corresponding Redemption card will be. More on this latter, keep an eye on the TLA World Wide and www.Realmemorabilia.com.au website for the release of signing season photos.

We hope you enjoy this release, it was a logistical challenge putting it together.

Limited Edition SOO and Super Rugby

Congratulations Queensland on taking out another SOO series!! As per previous years a Limited Set of 25 cards will be released, two set will be released, each set limited to 150 per set. TLA will offer to collectors a very limited number of combo packages which will include a back catalogue set from previous SOO releases, helping new collectors get into this release while rewarding established collectors with a better value product. You can expect to see this release in the last week of August.

We are very excited to have become an official licensee of the New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) a Super Rugby Limited Edition set will be the first release, at this stage planned for late July. Only 300 sets will be produced, 150 of the sets will feature 10 signature cards per set (2 player per team) we have worked closely with the NZRU and the NZRPA to create this set, we are all very excited to see where this will lead, again more on this shortly.

Some product will be available in the Australian market, however the demand in the NZ market is high as you would expect, so if you are keen to secure one of these sets keep an eye on the forum for more information on this special release and where to pre order it…

Your release is ONLY nearly sold out as dealers buy to bust and over inflate the price of your ridiculous 1/1 cards. STOP MAKING 1/1 cards. Only ONE person adds that to their collection. What a DUMB DUMB DUMB choice. You as a company do not benefit in the slightest offering 1/1 cards.. And we as collectors definitely DO NOT BENEFIT from 1/1 releases unless we are are to fork out 1k plus to the person who busts it.

Thanks to your misguided choice of a 2014 1/1. I'm less 1 card in my 15 years of cowboys collecting. And as of 2016, 2 cards I hear.

With every release I hate your company even more. My 5k-15k a year is a complete waste on a company that doesn't listen. You don't have vision. You have "sales vision", of which is seriously misguided. If you want to know what collectors want, why don't you ASK THEM.

Lastly. Release regular sneak peaks. And a damn checklist.

END OF RANT.

Last edited:
A 1/1 card makes one person happy. I like the idea of vintage common cards. They'd better be good for autographs.

Your release is ONLY nearly sold out as dealers buy to bust and over inflate the price of your ridiculous 1/1 cards. STOP MAKING 1/1 cards. Only ONE person adds that to their collection. What a DUMB DUMB DUMB choice. You as a company do not benefit in the slightest offering 1/1 cards.. And we as collectors definitely DO NOT BENEFIT from 1/1 releases unless we are are to fork out 1k plus to the person who busts it.

Thanks to your misguided choice of a 2014 1/1. I'm less 1 card in my 15 years of cowboys collecting. And as of 2016, 2 cards I hear.

With every release I hate your company even more. My 5k-15k a year is a complete waste on a company that doesn't listen. You don't have vision. You have "sales vision", of which is seriously misguided. If you want to know what collectors want, why don't you ASK THEM.

Lastly. Release regular sneak peaks. And a damn checklist.

END OF RANT.

^^^^^^^^^^^
What she said

Firstly, thanks for the update, I think it is long overdue, however I do take it personally that you cant engage directly with the community but have to go through a third person, you write in the first person but have someone else post it? Brooke Clark don't just monitor the forum engage with the collectors.

Personally I have no issue with 1/1 cards but as you can obviously see collectors have a passionate dislike for them. I resigned myself a long time ago that my team collection would never be 100% complete due to there already being so many high end / expensive cards out there. The idea however of possibly owning a 1/1 is enough for me to look to buy product direct as apposed to just buying most of my wants in the secondary market.

I am one of many collectors who have moved away from "master set" collecting to only collecting the team I support cards. I think the sheer size of your releases is the biggest deterrent for many in this regards. I think Traders suffers from bloat. I would be interested to have a better understanding of your different strategies between Traders and Elite as I no longer can see a clear differential? A series 1 release was always a chance to complete a set, not anymore and a Series II release was limited and hard to complete but certainly not impossible as it has become.

I like many of the new idea's that have come out of ESP however the constant dropping and changing of subsets is not something I am not a fan of. I think if you asked what are some of the collectors favourite subsets the response would be a subset like Retirements which has been consistent in design and releases. I liked the Club Leader in 2015 and was disappointed to see it not continued, League Sensations come and gone, Fast and Furious come and gone etc I would like to see some more constant subsets.

Finally, checklists / flyers would seem to be a great idea, I have not ever heard a collector say they don't want a pre-release checklist and maybe even a promo card for a tease. In fact I have heard everyone of them complain bitterly year after year about there being none......are you really paying attention?

Regards
Ross

I personally think Esp is doing a great job with this series in terms of signature cards, jersey patch cards etc etc. Every collector from every team has the chance to own a signature card from their club in which they follow. Compare it to the old days with Dynamic? For example Dynamic series 2 1994 you as a collector could only find a Terry signature or Mal signature card meaning this only represents the Dogs and Raiders. I say be thankful that we all now have the chance to at least have a signature card for every club, Katrina

I personally think Esp is doing a great job with this series in terms of signature cards, jersey patch cards etc etc. Every collector from every team has the chance to own a signature card from their club in which they follow. Compare it to the old days with Dynamic? For example Dynamic series 2 1994 you as a collector could only find a Terry signature or Mal signature card meaning this only represents the Dogs and Raiders. I say be thankful that we all now have the chance to at least have a signature card for every club, Katrina

When you say old days you are indeed talking the old days as we have had a "young gun" concept for 15 years or so where every collector could get a players sig card from their club and I am happy that this has been continued. Jersey cards is great concept and hope it is pursued but the last time it was done by ESP, well in reality, it was just not done very well when you consider only 4 cards 1 with a complete nuffy and 1 in a jersey that wasn't even from the actual game the card referenced.

Perhaps do a Young Gun and make a patch card for all the 16 clubs based on the League Sensation subset dropped after the 2013 Elite release.

Ross

Where is the 1/1 image mentioned above?

It in the 2016 Elite rumour thread I just found it myself

esp11-jpg.167677

I believe it's a card inside a gold frame, i.e. like a framed photograph. Hopefully if they can put the card in the frame it can be removed and seen in all it's glory.

When you say old days you are indeed talking the old days as we have had a "young gun" concept for 15 years or so where every collector could get a players sig card from their club and I am happy that this has been continued. Jersey cards is great concept and hope it is pursued but the last time it was done by ESP, well in reality, it was just not done very well when you consider only 4 cards 1 with a complete nuffy and 1 in a jersey that wasn't even from the actual game the card referenced.

Perhaps do a Young Gun and make a patch card for all the 16 clubs based on the League Sensation subset dropped after the 2013 Elite release.

Ross
I like your idea of doing a signature card plus a jersey patch card for every club, Katrina

first number 36 cards.
Your enthusiasm for collecting this number is admirable, amusing and discerning all at once. No offense intended if course. As a self confessed enabler, i just went through my numbered collection and was a bit dissappointed not to find any 36ers for you.

Back
Top Bottom