Nath85

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Nathan
eBay User
whitwhinath
COMC User
Nathan
Hopefully TLA or Select take other the rights for the upcoming season A league season as the 17/18 Tap N Play cards were rubbish. With some good signings so far it would be a shame to have the likes of Honda, Vargas, Dimi, and a lot of the other international players

Whats every body's thoughts

Hopefully TLA or Select take other the rights for the upcoming season A league season as the 17/18 Tap N Play cards were rubbish. With some good signings so far it would be a shame to have the likes of Honda, Vargas, Dimi, and a lot of the other international players

Whats every body's thoughts

Honestly, I don't think there is enough money in it to make Select or TLA really want it.

Cheers
Matt

Probably a lot will depend upon how long TnP have a contract with FFA to produce cards & the return on investment They have already done 4 seasons (starting with 14/15) & as to whether any of those releases were profitable is probably doubtful.

The 2017/18 release was problematic across all of the 4 P’s of marketing - price, product, placement (distribution) & promotion. It almost seemed like one of those final releases from a recording artist who has to provide 1 last album before the end of contract as a “contractual obligation”.

But in saying that the Caltex Socceroos release wasn’t too bad - a too big IMO & woefully under promoted, but some ok designs. Much better then the 2017/18 cards. True story - we asked a Melb Victory player for an IP signature on his 17/18 card at the Glory v Melb Victory FFA cup game on Monday night & he said - what a f**king s**t photo that is.

Anyway, No doubt FFA have got all sorts of things to worry about with FIFA breathing down its neck over the governance framework, plus they have recently changed their marketing/creative & media agencies to Saatchi & Saatchi and Starcom, so those groups may play a greater role in what is offered up to promote the game.

Anyway, time will tell I guess. TnP didn’t do their Australian Rugby Union release this year, focusing instead on NZ Rugby, so maybe the FFA & a-league release will also quietly disappears off the radar.

I hope not, because despite all the dramas & issues we encounter along the way with each release, it is good to have a set of cards released. If we do get a release for 18/19 let’s hope the quality issues are finally sorted.

My favourite set was 13/14 SE A-League with the Supersocceroos Signature set
That was a really good set. One of the better A-league card releases.
I though the T&P 16/17 release was right up there as well. Alot of research went into the signature player selection (every player was a gun) + Timmy Cahill signed as well.

I hope cards continue into the future. With 2 more teams coming on next year it adds more to the collection. To my amazement there are a lot of cards and great history of Australian soccer. (issued at a club level or promo level) Together with Matilda's doing well, FFA cup chugging along there is some positive future (if FFA can reorganize itself). I don't think FFA really supports the card side of things as AFL with football, Netball,, rugby and cricket.

I hope cards continue into the future. With 2 more teams coming on next year it adds more to the collection. To my amazement there are a lot of cards and great history of Australian soccer. (issued at a club level or promo level) Together with Matilda's doing well, FFA cup chugging along there is some positive future (if FFA can reorganize itself). I don't think FFA really supports the card side of things as AFL with football, Netball,, rugby and cricket.
Totally agree. Everyone on this forum know about the cards but do the kids. FFA/ A-League clubs need to promote the trading cards to the kids. Give some away at A-league/ W-league games, local clubs, registration days, football holiday clinics, schools etc. More engagement with kids is needed. Once the kids get a taste for it they will want more.

I think we'd all agree that probably more should have been done to promote the earlier releases.

Interesting that TnP are already promoting the upcoming cricket release (due late October) via Fb posts. The a-league season starts in just over 60 days (also late October) and still no mention of an upcoming a-league release whatsoever. Not a good sign :cautious:

I agree with the Mike and Serge that Tap'n Play probably have not any money or little money from Soccer Cards. I would much rather have a release than nothing at all. My understanding is that they cut back on the print run and effectively sold out. Hopefully they made enough money to do another set. I'm not sure who would step in to takeover.

It needs to be promoted in conjunction with FFA and A-League/W-League clubs. And I guess that’s where the problem lies. There is presently so much in-fighting in the game that trading cards is the last thing on their minds (and suppose doesn’t give TapNPlay much confidence in the overall state of the game).

With no A-league collector cards this season, this is for anyone looking for an A-League fix.

Top Trumps have release a set of A-League cards - Top 30 players.

More of a game card than a collectors series, and produced by Winning Moves. My understanding this is an Oz subsidiary of the UK Winning Moves company that has licenses for a range of Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, DC Comics & a Hasbro affiliation . This appears to be part of their Australian series, which includes Top Trumps Holden, Gold Coast, Melbourne. They also have a World Football Stars 2018 release.

Probably not every ones cup of tea but for $10, maybe something to consider.

The cards are available at toy stores, etc, and also via their online store https://winningmoves.com.au/product/hyundai-league-top-trumps/
(They also have an A-league monopoly game available too!!)

Not sure who the 30 players are. If any one already has a set they may like to post those details.

[Thanks to @Sergb for the heads up on this one.]
A-League-TT.jpg
A-League-cards-2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like SergB has provided the full rundown of players for this set to Alans site:
https://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.com/2019/01/winning-moves-top-trumps-australia.html

Craig Goodwin (Adelaide United)
Isaias Sanchez (Adelaide United)
Nikola Mileusnic (Adelaide United)
Adam Taggart (Brisbane Roar)
Eric Bautheac (Brisbane Roar)
Matthew McKay (Brisbane Roar)
Andrew Hoole (Central Coast Mariners)
Connor Pain (Central Coast Mariners)
Michael McGlinchey (Central Coast Mariners)
Bruno Fornaroli (Melbourne City)
Luke Brattan (Melbourne City)
Riley McGree (Melbourne City)
Carl Valeri (Melbourne Victory)
James Troisi (Melbourne Victory)
Kosta Barbarouses (Melbourne Victory)
Dimitri Petratos (Newcastle Jets)
Nigel Bogard (Newcastle Jets)
Roy O’Donovan (Newcastle Jets)
Andy Keogh (Perth Glory)
Diego Castro (Perth Glory)
Neil Kilkenny (Perth Glory)
Alex Brosque (Sydney FC)
Josh Brillante (Sydney FC)
Milos Ninkovic (Sydney FC)
Andrew Durante (Wellington Phoenix)
Nathan Burns (Wellington Phoenix)
Roy Krishna (Wellington Phoenix)
Joshua Risdon (Western Sydney Wanderers)
Oriol Riera (Western Sydney Wanderers)
Roly Bonevacia (Western Sydney Wanderers)
Title card
Advert card
Advert card

Back
Top Bottom