Totally Certified Green hype.

Your kidding though? So as a kid I should restrict myself to completing a base set?

Not kidding at all. I see nothing wrong with restricting yourself to base and insert sets. Come on, autos aren't even that expensive either. Collectors, like normal people, will have boundaries and there's nothing wrong at all with it. Why should Ferrari's produce cars when I can't afford one then? Your argument isn't logical at all. People work hard for their money and if they want to buy expensive cards then they earned it. If you earned a 6 figure sum I wouldn't hear you complaining at all.

This is my point, there shouldn't be 1,000,000 1/1's, There shouldn't be mass amounts of GU's produced. GU's should be sought after. Nobody wants them now which is the reason auto's and inserts (Nice looking one's) sell for so much. And are out of kids price ranges.

This is the reason why Panini's released Adrenalyn, which is actually aimed at kids with kids prices. You can complete the whole set, variations included for say what? $40? However I would agree that Panini has gone way overboard with the 1/1's and I don't like it. Same with the mass amounts of GU's. They should stop the 'event-worn' shit.

This is why the AFL market is so popular. Select has played their cards well they don't over produce auto's or GU's so they are sought after. People don't spend $800+ on an insert because there are other quality cards which are affordable (With the triple brownlow sig and captain sig out of the equation).

The AFL market is popular because AFL is popular in Australia. That's the end of the argument. NBA isn't even remotely popular compared to AFL and NRL. And is this someone who's actually saying nice things about Select? I've heard almost nothing but complaints from their threads.

Tell me one product from the last 10 years that Panini or Upper Deck or even topps for that matter haven't inserted 1,000s of GU's into their product? Yet you can still pickup an auto if you are a kid because you can bust that pack for $3!

All the UD First Editions spring to mind immediately. I don't get that last sentence from you? Are you saying basketball packs are too expensive or something?

Collecting shouldn't be expensive if you don't follow the insert hype and aim for the 1/1 Logomans etc.

It seems pretty good when you can buy autos for superstars like CP3, Melo and Dwight for only $30

Bainy is right... Collecting isn't expensive if you stay within your boundries.

If you can only afford base cards and cheap inserts then just collect base cards and cheap inserts, if you can afford to collect RPAs then collect RPAs.

High-End products are aimed at people with High-End bank accounts. If you cant afford $500 box of NT, bust a box of Donruss or Season Update. People worry too much about the re-sale value of the hits and don't bust for the fun of it!

Not gunna lie, I still get excited when I pull a Nuggets Base/Insert/GU I don't have. I usually try to give away my hits anyway, usually to people who need them not to people who want it for the sake of a free card.

You younger guys wouldn't remember but if you can, have a look at an old 99-00 beckett. Inserts were never affordable to kids back then either which is why there is still such a high appeal now. 15-20 years down the track you guys will have the money you don't now to buy all those unafforable cards from your youth. These certified greens may well be the next "pmg's" when you young fellas are 30 years old and you remember wanting one so get in bidding wars with other cashed up 30 somethings with the same idea

Gone are the days that card collecting was a kids hobby. The most I have spent on 1 card is $90. Card collecting is now very much an adults hobby. It's no longer go around swapping cards at school it's now bust a $500 box pull a card and put it on ebay. When would a kid be able to bust a box of NT? When would a kid be able to buy a PMG? A certified green? A MJ auto? A logoman?

The hobby is ridiculous. Sure we are able to pickup some nice cards but not the one's we want! They are so over priced and out of our range.

100% agree with you jack, and it's a shame. Sometimes it seems more like a business then a hobby :(

Yeah mate can really see it as a shame, was actually collecting the set of golds and had 15 of them before the price just went crazy. I personally dont think theyre the new PMG's but alot of people think so, so it my eyes was time to sell. Can understand where your coming from Luke as a young collector, when I was first started collecting I could barely afford 2 packs a week, was over the moon to pull any Jordan.

Just wait and see if the storm settles and prices come down again, which I reckon they will when the fleer retro come out with real pmgs in it.

At least your going to make a nice profit from the sales ;)

You've got something wrong there. Card collecting WAS a kid's hobby because there were no such things as 1/1s, printing plates, autos and even GUs. When the first GUs came out they were very expensive too and would've been out of your reach as well. Card collecting for a kid should just be about completing base sets and maybe insert sets. In that aspect, it's still the same today as it was 20 years ago. Who doesn't want a Blake Griffin Rookie Logoman Auto 1/1?

To be honest mate, I still love collecting base card sets! I think if it's a nice set like 10/11 R&S it'd worth getting. I have 4 full albums of base sets and heaps of AFL base sets. Thats why I hate 1 pack boxes. It's big hit or miss. 20 pack boxes are great because you get heaps of cards and it don't cost a lot of $$ ;)

I don't really have boundaries just buy when I can afford it I don't always have money to spend on cards but because I love the hobby I try to save money to do it as much as possible, I love pulling a nice card not only knowing that maybe one day it might be worth so much but just get excited knowing how lucky I just got :D

Thats basicly what I said.

Your kidding though? So as a kid I should restrict myself to completing a base set? This is my point, there shouldn't be 1,000,000 1/1's, There shouldn't be mass amounts of GU's produced. GU's should be sought after. Nobody wants them now which is the reason auto's and inserts (Nice looking one's) sell for so much. And are out of kids price ranges.

Tell me one product from the last 10 years that Panini or Upper Deck or even topps for that matter haven't inserted 1,000s of GU's into their product? This is why the AFL market is so popular. Select has played their cards well they don't over produce auto's or GU's so they are sought after. People don't spend $800+ on an insert because there are other quality cards which are affordable (With the triple brownlow sig and captain sig out of the equation). Yet you can still pickup an auto if you are a kid because you can bust that pack for $3!

That's why I love AFL cards. For example. My older brother got a box of AFL Select Champions 2011 and hot a Brad Sewell auto. I never knew AFL had autos so I looked it up and the odds of getting an auto are 1:144 packs!! That's good because when you got an auto you get so hyped haha. NBA boxes you know your going to get at least 2 autos (most boxes) so it takes away a bit of excitement.

That's why I love AFL cards. For example. My older brother got a box of AFL Select Champions 2011 and hot a Brad Sewell auto. I never knew AFL had autos so I looked it up and the odds of getting an auto are 1:144 packs!! That's good because when you got an auto you get so hyped haha. NBA boxes you know your going to get at least 2 autos (most boxes) so it takes away a bit of excitement.
But the chances of getting a superstar is a lot less too, Like hitting an MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Griffen because there ussually SP's which makes you so excited when you get one of those, Like a box might have 2 autos and a case may have 1 of those superstars and you get 1 box and hit a superstar makes you feel so lucky :D

But the chances of getting a superstar is a lot less too, Like hitting an MJ, Kobe, Lebron, Griffen because there ussually SP's which makes you so excited when you get one of those, Like a box might have 2 autos and a case may have 1 of those superstars and you get 1 box and hit a superstar makes you feel so lucky :D

Yes very true. When I hit my on card Kobe auto from 10/11 classics, I was doing laps around the house screaming haha, I was so happy that day.

When I say it takes away a bit of excitement I mean when you hit a rookie that doesn't get minutes, it brings you down knowing that you pay $100 for a box and you get a auto that's worth $5

Bainy is right... Collecting isn't expensive if you stay within your boundries.

If you can only afford base cards and cheap inserts then just collect base cards and cheap inserts, if you can afford to collect RPAs then collect RPAs.

High-End products are aimed at people with High-End bank accounts. If you cant afford $500 box of NT, bust a box of Donruss or Season Update. People worry too much about the re-sale value of the hits and don't bust for the fun of it!

Not gunna lie, I still get excited when I pull a Nuggets Base/Insert/GU I don't have. I usually try to give away my hits anyway, usually to people who need them not to people who want it for the sake of a free card.

Great point mate. I also get pumped when I hit a base or insert of a player I love or Cavs.

Yes very true. When I hit my on card Kobe auto from 10/11 classics, I was doing laps around the house screaming haha, I was so happy that day.

When I say it takes away a bit of excitement I mean when you hit a rookie that doesn't get minutes, it brings you down knowing that you pay $100 for a box and you get a auto that's worth $5
I know what your sayin also mate, I've hit a lot of not so good hits but I've also hit some beautys 1 thing that i barely ever do though is buy cards off others I just rather spend money being surprised then buy something I know what I'm getting I have done it before but enjoy boxes more haha. When I hit my Wall i was like oh thats awesome and didnt realise how good it was till I really looked at it haha

I know what your sayin also mate, I've hit a lot of not so good hits but I've also hit some beautys 1 thing that i barely ever do though is buy cards off others I just rather spend money being surprised then buy something I know what I'm getting I have done it before but enjoy boxes more haha. When I hit my Wall i was like oh thats awesome and didnt realise how good it was till I really looked at it haha

That's the same with me with boxes. I always rather trade cards not buy because I'm losing cards but I'm getting cards back as well. I always save up for boxes. Love not knowing what cards I'm gonna get. For example I just did a trade and I'm getting a 'mystery pack', I can't wait to get it haha.

These are nice looking cards no doubt. The greens I can sort of understand because all of them are #/5 but the golds? Cmon man. Seeing the prices of them are crazy. Nothing can replace the PMG's. Those cards are just awesome. But if these cards keep these kind of prices (I doubt it) then that would be a frustrating thing for set collectors, all made by a little bit of hype from forums.

And this kind of thing really hurts young collectors like myself (14 yrs old) because I love these cards but I can't spend this amount of cards, which is a shame. I'd love to get awesome looking cards like these but with these ridiculous prices. Hopefully things like this don't happen often.

Totally agree with you there about hurting young collectors.

I know the new fleer just because it has PMGs will hurt me from collecting the Full fleer set like I usually do every year.

That's the same with me with boxes. I always rather trade cards not buy because I'm losing cards but I'm getting cards back as well. I always save up for boxes. Love not knowing what cards I'm gonna get. For example I just did a trade and I'm getting a 'mystery pack', I can't wait to get it haha.
That mystery pack wouldn't be from in_tha_90s would it? Yeah most the time I think well ill save up and get a big couple of case orders from DACW and then a week later I spend my money on somethin else lol..

Wow first points for Fed-ex since the fireworks lol

That mystery pack wouldn't be from in_tha_90s would it? Yeah most the time I think well ill save up and get a big couple of case orders from DACW and then a week later I spend my money on somethin else lol..

So 10 Minutes ago Now!:)

No it's in a trade with Norm (ozballer23) ;)

Totally agree with you there about hurting young collectors.

I know the new fleer just because it has PMGs will hurt me from collecting the Full fleer set like I usually do every year.

Shame about the fleer set mate. Everyone will probaly hype the new PMGs up but they will probaly won't be as good as the 08/09 ones.

Back
Top Bottom