Things that grind your gears (card related only)

ShueyGaffDarlingNat

Eagles Collector & AFL Connoisseur
Real Name
Brad
O.k so every forum needs a place to bitch right?

Bigfooty has bay 13 for the most part so i thought i would add a section where we can all air our grievances and even name and shame if need be. Must be card related though.

For me it is people who sell cards with no respect for the buyer.

I bought a 50.00 card off ebay, surely one would expect it to be sent in a top loader but sunflowers05mandy thought that taping said card between a bunch of commons and then throwing that heap in a standard envelope for me to enjoy was perfectly acceptable.

Myself? not so much.

I didn't order a Kinda surprise, should i really have to sit there and carefully peel common after common away hoping that my purchase wont be damaged?

Disgraceful...

Oh and while i'm at it, people who send more than one card in a top loader is frustrating and people who are overzealous with tape grind my gears as well.

#endrant

Now you're turn.......

Tell me what grinds your gears? What really frustrates you?

tumblr_n6zm7vaLHo1s0c0xho1_500.gif

O.k so every forum needs a place to bitch right?

Bigfooty has bay 13 for the most part so i thought i would add a section where we can all air our grievances and even name and shame if need be. Must be card related though.

For me it is people who sell cards with no respect for the buyer.

I bought a 50.00 card off ebay, surely one would expect it to be sent in a top loader but sunflowers05mandy thought that taping said card between a bunch of commons and then throwing that heap in a standard envelope for me to enjoy was perfectly acceptable.

Myself? not so much.

I didn't order a Kinda surprise, should i really have to sit there and carefully peel common after common away hoping that my purchase wont be damaged?

Disgraceful...

Oh and while i'm at it, people who send more than one card in a top loader is frustrating and people who are overzealous with tape grind my gears as well.

#endrant

Now you're turn.......

Tell me what grinds your gears? What really frustrates you?

tumblr_n6zm7vaLHo1s0c0xho1_500.gif
Really hate having to work my way through 20 layers of tape to get to a card.

Oh, and being given crappy offers on cards because 'They're for my kids' or some crap.
I get you have kids, and I sometimes include free TC inserts with my packages to kids, but no, that does not mean you can buy my $40 wildcard for $15 with registered post because your kids collect.

And finding out that CardZone is the only place left in AUS with packs and boxes of your favourite release also sucks too, because you know how big the markup on the prices will be.

people quoting ebay prices and choosing the most expensive one listed. BUY IT NOW is the ONLY guide that matters. Otherwise I would put up a common for $100 and my collection would be worth a small fortune using ebay prices =p

Also cards in paper envelope with no toploaders and wrapped in tissue. Like the tissues are some sort f magic barrier hahah

Loving the comments guys, I've got another one.

People who ignore site rules and post sales thread after sales thread after sales thread......

I kid you not but there are actually multiple sales threads for the same items at the moment.

It does my head in having to sift through multiple threads when looking for things to buy.

Why can't people use the edit function and just add to a sale thread?

Is it really that hard or is it a case of ignorance and or stupidity?

#endrant

Loving the comments guys, I've got another one.

People who ignore site rules and post sales thread after sales thread after sales thread......

I kid you not but there are actually multiple sales threads for the same items at the moment.

It does my head in having to sift through multiple threads when looking for things to buy.

Why can't people use the edit function and just add to a sale thread?

Is it really that hard or is it a case of ignorance and or stupidity?

#endrant
Great reminder - and thanks for watching out for them, the mods don't see every thread so rely on members to let us know - off to the AFL forum I wander!

I never really venture into the AFL forum so if you see something, report it. We all get email notifications of the reports and can action them straight away. If we don't know about it we can't do anything :goat:

Anyways, back on topic.

Things that grind my gears, hmmmmm. If i started telling you guys about half of what goes on behind the scenes i reckon my fingers would drop off before i finished typing :whistle::whistle::whistle:

I never really venture into the AFL forum so if you see something, report it. We all get email notifications of the reports and can action them straight away. If we don't know about it we can't do anything :goat:

Anyways, back on topic.

Things that grind my gears, hmmmmm. If i started telling you guys about half of what goes on behind the scenes i reckon my fingers would drop off before i finished typing :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Now now Graham, it's all about bitching together. :lol:

Tell us at least one, and for gods sake please don't be about me again. I promise, i've learnt my lesson :oops:

Last edited:
I also don't like it when you find one of your most wanted cards on eBay and after you've paid and received it, the seller you bought it off continues to email you afterwards trying to hard sell all these other high end cards similar to the one you purchased, thinking you're an easy target to pull a quid off. Wonder if anyone knows where I'm coming from?

What really grinds my gears is the rediculous buy it now prices on eBay for some cards, had someone contact me with sets of Scanlens wanting rediculous prices for them because they think it's what they sell for on eBay, when I tell them to check sold listings they get the biggest shock of there life, people see buy it now prices and think they can retire

Finally finding that rare card you need...only for it to be Wangy's and he is asking way over top dollar.
Steve Wang is the KING of overpricing singles.
If I search up an Aussie sports card I need on eBay, I am not surprised if the most expensive card on there is Wangy's copy of the card.

Steve Wang, Select Seller of the Year winner nonstop since whenever Select were founded.

I need the Roo captain signature, would pay $1200 which is a fair price. He wants $1700 and has refused to budge. :|

One question I ask, does any collector really go to Wangie in preference to eBay and other online resourses inclusive of this forum to accquire desired cards lol. The second question I ask is does anyone spend their hard earned cash on building master sets along with mid-range insert series from different releases that do not necessary cater for a particular club and/or player?? That's a good question. Since I rejoined the modern card collecting community since primary school, I am starting to make the following observations:

Most collectors who want to become the/a king-of-the-community nowadays are not master set and/or release collectors like in the 1990s and 2000s yet alone, common base collectors like the 1970s and 80s lol. The most popular style of collectors nowadays are:

*Team set collectors (particular attentive to upper end and/or high profile players of the collectors favorite club)
*Individual player collectors (particular attentive to high profile players and/or one with high sentimentality to the collector - not necessarily representative of the club the collector actually follows)
*Specified number collectors (in particular #002-009 and #Guernsey)

So above are generally what collectors seem to spend their money on from other cards they have sold and traded in other words, cards they collect to fill under-their-burrow and/or keep til the day they die and often see (master set and/or general high end collectors if they really do exist) easy soft targets to get what they want out of them if they are simply out in the card community to WIN as opposed to make friends and enjoy the bro to bro fellowship of this unique hobby we're all on this website for lol.

At the end of the day, I am not meaning to put any individuals down - it's just an observation I have made in which I have found interesting and this section of the forum seems to be the most appropriate place to raise this conversation lol.

I'm just learning to nut out what is really worth collection and what is such not.

ATM - when you advertise on this forum the inset cards you'll do a good card for but the potential trader PMs you attempting to trade it for some further back-end cards instead you did not mention less alone do not need!

Last edited:
Another thing that grinds my ears -- when you have plenty of unwanted high-ends for trade and have advertised to trade but users contact you that they only want to buy not trade and expect you to then pay a price you are not prepared to pay.

Back
Top Bottom