The road to season 2015

Mike Sheahan has released his list of top 50 players for season 2014 - this of course is different to the one he does at he start of the season where the list is of the best players in general (eg Gary Ablett is at #5 on his 2014 list as he missed a third of the season but will probably be ranked #1 at the start of 2015).

The top 10 are:

1. Joel Selwood (Geelong)
2. Nathan Fyfe (Fremantle)
3. Lance Franklin (Sydney)
4. Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide)
5. Gary Ablett (Gold Coast)
6. Josh Kennedy (Sydney)
7. Jordan Lewis (Hawthorn)
8. Jarryd Roughead (Hawthorn)
9. Dyson Heppell (Essendon)
10. Travis Boak (Port Adelaide)

Here is a link to the top 50:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/special-features/mikes-top-50/story-fnplo750-1227073896281

Mike has the rare quality in journalists these days - courage, and his OWN opinion. Good on him. People abuse the f**k out of him each year for his top 50, but I'd back his judgement a lot of the time.

Last edited:
James Hird's lawyers have lodged an appeal in court this morning against Justice Middleton's ruling. Regardless of whether you do or don't support Hird or his actions, he has the same rights as any Australian citizen to appeal a decision. Whether it is morally right or wrong is another matter, although I do think the direction in which this "moral compass" swings depends on which club a person supports!

The expectation is that Hird will be sacked today....Paul Little suggested that the coaching appointment for 2015 would hinge on the events of today (presumably Hird towing the footy club line/player's requests and not lodging an appeal).

Well I see frawley has chosen hawthorn, well the AFL must be wrapped the equalization they want so bad is working out great if melbourne don't get pick 3 I will be pissed

Hawthorn spells equalisation. It's ridiculous how were becoming a poor mans version of the EPL.
Let's not forget who Hawthorn lost last year due to free agency - Lance Franklin!

Herald-Sun are reporting that Melbourne will get pick 3.

The one thing James Frawley will find himself with is a rude shock when he gets to Hawthorn.....he will have to work his arse off to even earn a spot, a la Ben McEvoy.

Let's not forget who Hawthorn lost last year due to free agency - Lance Franklin!

To another top 4 club, there is no chance any big free agent will ever go to a bottom club, all the top clubs will continue to take players from bottom clubs I can see the competition turning into the EPL, I am really starting to dislike afl it will become very boring if the same teams are always up the top, for example I switched the grand final off at half time on Saturday as it was boring and I couldn't be bothered watching hawthorn win another flag, with free agency all its going to do is we will see more clubs win 2-3 flags in a row, and unless you support that team will be boring as bat shit

To another top 4 club, there is no chance any big free agent will ever go to a bottom club, all the top clubs will continue to take players from bottom clubs I can see the competition turning into the EPL, I am really starting to dislike afl it will become very boring if the same teams are always up the top, for example I switched the grand final off at half time on Saturday as it was boring and I couldn't be bothered watching hawthorn win another flag, with free agency all its going to do is we will see more clubs win 2-3 flags in a row, and unless you support that team will be boring as bat s***
EPL is more interesting then AFL, only because all players are known, so the unsung heroes are known everywhere in the UK, Europe and maybe even worldwide. In AFL however, you have to read the Herald Sun to find an unsung hero(AFL) instead of directly from the commentators during other games(EPL/Soccer). Guys like Nathan Gordon, half the league don't know, and nobody anywhere else in the world. And that is why EPL is more interesting then AFL.

@Festa1234 - I see your point mate and I agree completely. I'm not quite sure what the solution is though. The AFL won't put up with it for long though, I predict a rule change in the next year or so.

Something along the lines of draft pick + $$ in the salary cap on a sliding scale. Eg Melbourne would get pick 3 + a percentage of a one-year Frawley contract as compensation. So if he was on $450,000 a year at Melbourne (who finished second-last) they would get pick 3 + $400,000 or thereabouts.

Hawthorn (who finished top) would get a lower pick and and a lesser % of a wage if Hodge, Mitchell, Roughead or Lewis left for example.

Thoughts??

i would change the compensation depending on where you finish and for bottom 4 clubs if you lose a free agent you should be able to pick up a free agent without it having an affect on the compensation you recieve, I bet melbourne would be all over free agents themselves but don't want to water down the frawley compo.

Another thing that needs to change is players dictating where they want to be traded too, if a player is homesick and wants to be traded to Victoria or any state they shouldn't get to pick which club they go to should be who ever gives up the best deal.

Another thing that needs to change is players dictating where they want to be traded too, if a player is homesick and wants to be traded to Victoria or any state they shouldn't get to pick which club they go to should be who ever gives up the best deal.
If that happens, we'll have a lot of new EPL players.

I'm talking about AFL not EPL my reference to EPL is the same rich clubs will always be up the top due to free agency not talking about there players

Single handedly the worst day in AFL journalism.

Caro saying Hird is sacked - when he's not.
Robbo doing everything to paint Hird as the golden child
and Mike not including Priddis in his top 10.

If Ablett falls a few places by missing games, how does Priddis not get elevated by winning the most prestigious individual honour in the league?

Day 5 (~181 days to go)

Another interesting day. Rumours flying around Essendon: has Hird been sacked? Is Thompson going to stay on as head coach, turning his back on Gold Coast? This will be interesting to follow in the next few days. It seems a given that Frawley will end up at Hawthorn and Clark at Geelong; both great pick ups, although Frawley does have a lot of competition. Also interesting was the release of Mike Sheahan's top 50, already mentioned in this thread. I must say that if it is purely based on season 2014, Priddis is too low. Shouldn't have been number 1 necessarily, but probably top 5. Despite this, it is a pretty decent top 50.

It's one of those things where Mike can't win, regardless of his selections. At least he has the knackers to put it out there and after all it is only an opinion.

For those who watch it, Footy Classified is on tonight...all I know is that it is scheduled for 9:30 South Australian time.

Back
Top Bottom