The other 'Big O' mailday

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
As most of you may already know, the Big O is my main PC guy, well liked becaus eof his well rounded game, but did you know about the 'lower case o'? Im not talking about Olowokandi, that was a big uh oh, but the other one time Clipper subjected to the Kardashian curse and also renowned for having a well rounded game and skillset....

The one, the only...................LAMAR Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodom!

Not much high end stuff going on here, so if you're looking for cards worth 4 digits, or even 3, you're definitely looking in the wrong place, bes tto avert your eyes befoe scrolling any further! Oh, and there's no Panini era stuff either, not hating on them but I'm just an old school kind of guy whose stuck in a 90s and 00s timewarp.

The Rookies (and rookie year offerings)

Drafted 4th overall out of Rhode Island by the Clips, the rumours of him being a do it all swiss army knife type point forward had me envisioning a bigger, stronger version of Grant Hill with a bit of Magic Johnson / Penny Hardaway tossed in for good measure.

Topps Finest - so classy you have to unwrap it like the gift it is.... Great to see the attention to detail with the team's colours being incorporate dinto the card to match the jersey.
1645959703735.jpeg

Skybox Metal Emerald - just love the finish on these cards - understated and not so much in your face bling

1645959943735.jpeg

Skybox Metal Platinum Portraits - sensing a theme here? Again, just beautiful cards in hand with a classy subtle finish.
1645960048465.jpeg

Fleer Genuine Formidable - hadn;t had one in hand before so just wanted to see what it was like - and yes, nothing too special to be completely honest. Whoever thought of having overlaping text at the the bottom of the card ought to be shot! Everytime I look at it it gives me double vision!

1645960861682.jpeg

Fleer Ultra World Premiere - this is how die cuts need to be done, even for such a low end card, Panini ought to take notes....

1645960143406.jpeg

Fleer Force MIssion Accomplished - accidentally bought the non-Forcefield version (or perhaps got screwed by the seller, can't remember now and probably best that I don't...) Nicely designed insert, froma vastly underrated product.

1645960352345.jpeg

Fleer Force Attack Force Forcefield - you can sort of see here what difference the Forcefield refractor type property makes to the card. Really looks nice in hand, it just 'glimmers' as it ought to do.

1645960568098.jpeg

Topps Initial Impact Refractor - scan does ths card no justice whatsoever, but too lazy do get a stand, mess around with lighting and channel my inner artist... 90s refractor, nuff said.

1645961127044.jpeg

Topps Stadium Club Chrome Clearshots Refractor - Acetate, die-cut, refractor, ,matching reverse image on rear of card. Sorry lads, but this is one classy card, you ust don't see cards like this any more. ..or as the saying goes, "they just don't make 'em like they used to". Again, my scanner doing an absolutely appalling job.....of showing off this magnificet set.

1645961677013.jpeg

Had to show the back too...

1645961698326.jpeg

The Non Rookie Years

After 4 years on the Clips he spent one year with the Heat before being part of the big Shaq trade in which he ended up in Laker land. He'd go on to win back to back rings and a 6MOY award playing alongside Kobe, Pau and Metta World Peace.

Fleer Showcase To Air is Human - Just wanted to see what they were like in hand. Plus I miss the days of all those goofy, pun filled insert names....

1645962398749.jpeg

Fleer Legacy - Ultimate Legacy /175 - part of the great series of Legacy cards, but probably one of the worst variations of it to be perfectly honest. Intersting take with the sort of sparkling serial numbering which looks great, but loses its impact because of the sticker. Respect to the mad headband game though!

1645962748070.jpeg

Flair Row 1 /100 - I don;t think there's too much that Flair has made that I don't like. Classic cards which never seem to age, nice attention to detail with font, card deisgn, pics and eensome nice bronze foil stamping on the reverse. Nothing special, but just a well assmebled bit of kit.

1645963074925.jpeg

The Slabs
It wouldn't be a mailday in 2022 without featuring a few slabs. Grades aren't the greatest but they aren't going anywhere soon, and most are pretty close to a 9 (based on the subgrades) anyway. Plus, for what it's worth I prefer the look of the BGS slab and labels anyway.

Fleer Authority Authority Figures /499 - if you know anything about Lamar Odom's personal life you know he probably shouldn't have been an authority figure for the likes of an impressionable teenager like Darius Miles drafted 3rd overall straight out of high school.....

1645963439951.jpeg

Topps Stadium Club Rookie - no, I was not fumigating my house at the time of this scan, but a nice action shot on this RC from another underrated product imo.

1645963748395.jpeg

Skybox E-x Generation E-x - I just love the look of thee card sin hand, the shimmer, the action shots, the design - pretty easy and affordable set chase in the making. Old School SGC label

1645963875850.jpeg

The Threads
You know this card is old because it was actually game worn and doesn;t have the word 'prime' emblazoned all over it. Nice two tone patch from perhaps the most appropriately name dcard in history!

Fleer Ultra O!
1645964187587.jpeg

The Scribble

I don't have too many Odom autos but from memory he isn;t th emost prolific autographer out there anyway. Has a ent sig on him though which is kinda nice and loopy - shades of Larry Bid - but only in terms of the auto! ...and for some reason I seem to have every auto in existence which wouldn't grade a 10....

Inspirations on Card w/ Eddie Griffin /1149
1645964454568.jpeg

Fleer Autographics /250 - big on card auto - just can't be beat.
1645964517435.jpeg

.....and that's all she wrote folks! Thanks for stopping by and having a look (and a double thanks if you actually took the time to read what I spent the time to write!) lol

Keep it classy folks!

You almost lost me at the no 3 figure cards, but suckered me in with the no Panini to keep on scrolling.

Glad I did there is some absolute great looking cardboard there, heaps of awesome photography.

Nicely done.... he was unreal on those laker teams....
Odom made that team work to be perfectly honest - filled a whole heap of roles and gaps and was the ideal sixth man. I also remember some of the facials he thew down too, dude coudl really hit the 'beast mode' button sometimes.

Need him to sign a candy bar!
Apparently the got the nickname Candy man because he has quite the penchant for Skittles. If he signed a bag of those I don;t think the auto woudl get much more streakier anyway!

Love the '90s goodness.
Cheers mate, it's where old farts like me feel in the comfort zone! hah hah To be honest, though, the cards were just better (in my opinion) than what is gettign churned out these days en masse.

Very nice inserts, love the ol Metal stuff.
Metal was a great concept and they had so many good inserts. Even the base set looks ridiculously good (watch the price of that iconic Jordan base climb ever higher) - I think the only thing better than metal is perhaps a nice acetate finish.

You almost lost me at the no 3 figure cards, but suckered me in with the no Panini to keep on scrolling.

Glad I did there is some absolute great looking cardboard there, heaps of awesome photography.

Come to think of it I'm not even sure if there are even any 2 figure cards - lol

I find myself doing a bit more set chasing and experimenting with what things look like in hand, and the more I do it the more I'm becoming a fan of the old school sets and products. Modern game, players and cards lave me a bit cold.

As for the scanner - it needs to be upgraded at some point, I don;t even know how old it is now but it still works. If you ever seeme investign ina decent camer and a light box you better believe a massive sale is coming!

Apparently the got the nickname Candy man because he has quite the penchant for Skittles. If he signed a bag of those I don;t think the auto woudl get much more streakier anyway!
Yeah, I just heard a story that his cars were always full of skittles and other chocolate bars.

Cheers mate, it's where old farts like me feel in the comfort zone! hah hah To be honest, though, the cards were just better (in my opinion) than what is gettign churned out these days en masse.

Can't argue with any of that — mind you I am so old I like the '80s stuff just as much (if not more for some of it!).

Yeah, I just heard a story that his cars were always full of skittles and other chocolate bars.
Not the worst of his vices by any stretch....

Can't argue with any of that — mind you I am so old I like the '80s stuff just as much (if not more for some of it!).
For sure, the iconic 86-87 Fleer set is probably the most iconic set of all time and I think Star from back then is under-rated too. Some lgendary rookies to be had!

Hey Skip, I used to PC Odom a long time ago. Have a few left lying around. Let me know if you want me to send through some pics for you.
From memory there are a couple autos (possibly), refractors, patches from Clippers, heat and Lakers.
Sam

Hey Skip, I used to PC Odom a long time ago. Have a few left lying around. Let me know if you want me to send through some pics for you.
From memory there are a couple autos (possibly), refractors, patches from Clippers, heat and Lakers.
Sam

Always happy to look at some pics and prices mate, he's not a PC guy of mine so not necessarily looking to invest in anything high end...

great cards mate. those green metals are very understated.

04/05 Flair is easily one of the greatest card designs of all time. the kobe and lebron look unreal as well.

great cards mate. those green metals are very understated.

04/05 Flair is easily one of the greatest card designs of all time. the kobe and lebron look unreal as well.

Thanks mate, they look great in hand for sure. 04 05 Flair would make for one great looking set chase too, with all the sky high prices it'd be prety affordable to do as well.

That is a pretty impressive selection, and a bunch of sets I haven't seen in years. The stadium chrome clear shots is my favorite but that's cause I always have a soft spot for acetate cards. Awesome stuff skip.

That is a pretty impressive selection, and a bunch of sets I haven't seen in years. The stadium chrome clear shots is my favorite but that's cause I always have a soft spot for acetate cards. Awesome stuff skip.
Must of missed your post matem but I'm sure the old heads on here can remember and appreciate some of these old school classics. Clearshots die-cut acetate refractor has 90s written all over it!

Received your parcel the other day too mate - really appreciate the genorosity!

Back
Top Bottom