The Official LA LAKERS thread!!

The difference is the Celts shut down the big teams when needed and have lost focus in some of the other games. The Lakers did the same against the Kings the other week too with too many easy baskets. I'm just not sold on the Lakers clamping down teams and an average is just that, an average. How often have we seen teams try to win it all by outscoring opponents only to fail. Steals and blocks aren't always great D and the way to shut down teams. I'd love to see a stat for shot clock violations and defensive breakdowns etc. Not bail out defense you can't always rely on.

The Celts need to click offensively still and have had one of the toughest schedule so far with so many games back to back etc etc. In the next 12 games we will take back the best record easily LOL

Right now though there is daylight between each of us the rest of the pack. Clear daylight.

Yep, I seen that one and we let them back in the game 3 times, let them get on a run and then had to D up rather than just closing them out like we did the Nets.

That's where the consistency comes into play and I think we'll get a handle on that as time goes on. You gotta remember that this team as a core has been together less than the Celtics have, but either way, excuses excuses, we're starting to gell, just need to listen to Rambis and D up for 48 minutes every night. We must get that job done night in night out, not just rely on outscoring with bench in the third/fourth, and defensive pressure when forced and whether it works or it doesn't right now, it won't work all season and it definitely won't work in the playoffs.

There's been alot of talk about the Celtics offense and the inconsistency there, both team have a challenge to tackle and that's the plain truth. We've had a very similar schedule when you think about it, only 5 or 6 teams that would legitimately test us in the 15 odd games played and when you look at the following 10 games for both teams, nothing really changes.

Early days for stat comparisons (even if I think it counts) and regardless of what's yet to be seen in the next 4 months, if both teams stay on their game and stay healthy, the rivalry that doesn't exist will be there without a doubt next June... :rolleyes:

Anyway, like I said; Bring on Boxing Day! I'll be here at 9am Melb time, waiting in anticpation and then watching Live! :wave:

The proof is in the pudding :lol: Stats don't lie...97% of people agree with that :lol:

Boston
#1 in Opponent’s FG%: .404
#1 in Opponent’s PPG: 90.47
#2 in Opponent’s APG: 17.47
#3 in Point differential: 8.29
#3 in Opponent’s Fouls: 24.47
#5 in FG%: .467
#5 in Opponent’s TO’s: 15.94
#6 in Steals Per Game: 8.47
#8 in RPG: 43.05
#8 in Opponent’s RPG: 40.11
#6 in Opponent’s BPG: 4.00
#9 in BPG: 5.47
#10 in APG: 21.00

The only 2 overwhelming weaknesses they’ve had this season are TO’s: 5th most in the league at 16 per game, and committing fouls: 3rd most in the league at 23.35 per game. The upside? See above – their opponents commit so many fouls and TO’s that everything evens out…
Another fact: When opponents score 100+ points per game the Celts are 4-0… They'll still outscore you.

Mate you're not a troll, you're just a one eyed, faker hating, Smeltic fan! ;) :lol:

Anyway, we got it done... Averaging 117 points for and 92 points against, the best record in the NBA. The defense doesn't always show up consistently but the dubs are stacking up and the offense is just too much, even when Kobe is off. That's the special thing about the Lakers in 2008/09 and that's the Laker team I'm loving the most out of the last 4 seasons. Letting them over 100 shows we failed in a sense, too true. Would love it if we we were 100% consistent on both ends and that will come throughout the season but right now all that matters is W's, we've got 6 straight - hopefully another coming when we host the Raps next week! :p

The proof is in the pudding;

ESPN - NBA Basketball Statistics and League Leaders - National Basketball Association

We're outscoring the Celtics, we're holding teams to the same scoring average, we are outrebounding on both ends, we are getting more steals and last but not least.... we have the better record. :)

The proof is in the pudding :lol: Stats don't lie...97% of people agree with that :lol:

That actually made me laugh. Nice one. :lol:

We'll save this for December mate, but I'm almost 100% sure you don't wanna do that. ;)

Good luck in Charlotte, you shouldn't need it though.

Well after our 3 game game Road trip out East we are Back at home VS the Bucks..We should get the W...I mean SHOULD!!!I cant se anyone on the Bucks Squad look like stopping or come close to stopping Kobe...Might i just add that there is no one in the League that can guard Kobe 1 ON 1 i mean NO ONE!!!

That loss to the Pacers really hurt i mean up by 16 in the last QTR and to lose on a tip in by Murphy??Seriously Troy Murphy?

Back to the Bucks i think they really have to improve there so called D-FENCE
to get the W....Ariza has been a real spark off the Bench for us so far!!Farmar and the 2ND unit are playing really well so far..The one improvement that needs to happen is Lamar....

Anyways Bring on the BUCKS!!!

Lakers have now equaled their best start to a season - 17-2. The forth quarter fades are becoming bit of an issue...the second unit that was so strong in the first handful of games is starting to drop the ball a little. Farmar needs to step up and run the group...but it is hard to keep your mind and spirit in games when you are routinely blowing teams away I guess.

Huge bonus at the moment is the play of Vlad...his 3 point threat (11/21 in Dec so far) is crucial to providing Pau and AB with the room they need in the key...and he (along with Fish) has been hitting at a good rate recently.

Pleasing to see the Lakers hold the Bucks to .380 and to see the starters all around 30 mins again (interesting to see that the C's are all playing more mins on average than last season...outstanding Nov/Dec coaching by the Doc!)...not so pleasing was the 38 pt last quarter from them.

No one wins a title in Dec, but the boys are doing well enough to make sure we will be in a good position come playoff time. :thumbsup:

Great comeback by the Lakers today...to be 15 down at the half....and without Gasol (sick apparently) was a huge effort.

To the Knicks credit they look to have improved dramatically...and Nate Robinson is a very handy player.

Did you watch the game Marcus??

Sorry but your boys were terrible today. Must of been the knicks depth. All 7 players LOL

Did you watch the game Marcus??

Sorry but your boys were terrible today. Must of been the knicks depth. All 7 players LOL

To be honest I caught 5 mins before half time and the 2 minutes before the end....I do do some work you know!!;)

Still which ever way you look at it a win is a win....and I never said they played well, just that the comeback was a huge effort.:p

yeah we had a win like that the other day. Terrible game but still a W.

And the Knicks ran out of gas in the end and took some bad looks. They actually cracked a little. With 7 players you can't blame them. They weren't really Lakers stops. One of the last plays Lee got hammered and no call where he would of put the Knick ahead 5pts from memory.

yeah we had a win like that the other day. Terrible game but still a W.

And the Knicks ran out of gas in the end and took some bad looks. They actually cracked a little. With 7 players you can't blame them. They weren't really Lakers stops. One of the last plays Lee got hammered and no call where he would of put the Knick ahead 5pts from memory.

I gotta agree with you here, I didn't see the game but kept checking the scores. For a Knicks team with 7 players to give us that much of a run is unacceptable, with or without Pau. It's early days but our defense is showing alot of cracks, it's back to simply outscoring and bench impact. They've slacked off compared to the first 10 games, so much so that we win games were expected to lose and lose games we should be closing out. They gotta get consistently hungry again. I believe we'll keep the top seed in the west, but you can't be simply content with that, no matter how ungreatful that sounds.

Maybe a little early to worry, but I'm seeing some bad trends in the last 10 odd games.

I gotta agree with you here, I didn't see the game but kept checking the scores. For a Knicks team with 7 players to give us that much of a run is unacceptable, with or without Pau. It's early days but our defense is showing alot of cracks, it's back to simply outscoring and bench impact. They've slacked off compared to the first 10 games, so much so that we win games were expected to lose and lose games we should be closing out. They gotta get consistently hungry again. I believe we'll keep the top seed in the west, but you can't be simply content with that, no matter how ungreatful that sounds.

Maybe a little early to worry, but I'm seeing some bad trends in the last 10 odd games.

The Lakers are a very much less disciplined team on defense than the Boston Celtics. Sure it's early in the season, so hopefully they can rectify this, because come playoff time all teams will be firing on offensive and the great and good teams will be separated for sure.

Well Well Well Well, what more can i say???The last 4 Games have been very very dissapointing even tho we got 2 W'S..There seems to be a trend happening with out Boys out West.....We either get ourselves into Double Digit leads and blow them...Or we get behind and have to work extremely hard in the 4TH against mediocre teams to scrap together a win.....

First up our Defence just plain sucks ATM......Not sure what happened after the first 10 or so games???We just dont seem to be playing any....

Our last 4 Games have like this......@ MAGIC 103-106 LOSS
@ HEAT 87-89 LOSS
VS KNICKS 116-114 WIN
VS TIMBERWOLVES 98-86 WIN

Now against the Heat we just played poorly and really didnt deserve to get as close as we did(Down 12 heading into the 4TH)...Very Unlucky to get that no call against Wade when Pau was clearly hacked with about 12.3 to go i think???..But i suppose you get that sometimes...

I didnt see any of the Magic game at all kept getting updates on my phone all day....If any other LAKER fans did what the F*&K happened???Kobe scores 41 and we still lose?????:mad::mad::mad::mad:

And it could have been much worse than 2-2....Scrap together a Win against and undermanned Knicks.Pretty much the same against the Wolves..

To make matters worse Jordan Farmar has injured his knee(Did that in the 4TH against the Heat)

Its not getting any easier either our next 6 Games go a little something like this...:
@ Memphis
@New Orleans
VS Smeltics
VS Golden State
VS Jazz
VS Blazers

Ok i know its only 25 Games in but if we keep playing like we have the last 4 Games seriously we will struggle against the like of the Cavs and the Smeltics....

Also i heard a whisper that just after the new year could be a possible trade...

Odom and a Un-Named player FOR Andres Nocioni....Your thoughts??

Anyways still have the best Record in the West @ 21-5......

I think the big thing is, against the Heat they tried to play single coverage on Wade and not try and make someone else beat them. Wade was pulling shots out of his ass and had a great game but the simple facts is the Lakers shouldnt have let it get to that stage, no Gasol was no excuse.
Against the Magic i think the Lakers missed Farmar today (not sure what was wrong with him altho there has been something going thru the team with Gasol having the Bug along with Odom and maybe Farmar) And y are the Lakers starting Walton??? I mean if u want a stand up shooter then star Rad if u want a player then start Odom.

The Lakers need to forget about the offence and is comes naturally and look at their D, all i can say is it is a tough road trip with Heat, Magic and NO but thats no excuse. The Lakers bench started the season well but have really dropped off. I think Phil needs to send a message and maybe start Ariza since he is the Leauge leader in steal per 48 minutes which would help the D and they need better help D to get anywhere the Celtics will belt us by 30 if we dont change it before XMas day, i also think the Griz will push us too which is crap and then NO which i think will beat us.

Andrew what are your thoughts on the Odom trade whisper??
I think the reason for Phil starting Walton is get more defensive and passing productivity from that point....But other than that i have no idea why he is starting??He has no Low-Mid Range game he can run the breaks but thats pretty much it...
Gasol did play against the Heat..But i think your right Odom and Gasol my be ssufffering from a virus....

Andrew what are your thoughts on the Odom trade whisper??
I think the reason for Phil starting Walton is get more defensive and passing productivity from that point....But other than that i have no idea why he is starting??He has no Low-Mid Range game he can run the breaks but thats pretty much it...
Gasol did play against the Heat..But i think your right Odom and Gasol my be ssufffering from a virus....

Ah my bad so it was the game before the heat game Gasol missed? Any idea what happened with farmar? I havent actually heard anything about Odom trades. I really dont know what they should do with Odom. I think he should be starting and IMO its alot of money and talent sitting on the bench, altho with Bynum not playing to well and getting into foul trouble they need him. What are your thoughts on Ariza? U think he is fine coming off the bench when they need him or u think they should start him to try and up the D from the get go?

Today Odom stunk it up basically and Gasol just can't get it done when he is man handled. The Lakers were propped up by the Magic's poor free throw shooting otherwise this wouldn't have been close. Fisher kept you in the game.

Famar is out for at least 6 weeks with torn meniscus.

Kobe only really got the one FG in the last from memory and the Magic did a good job of making him give it up early on in the possession.

Jackson challegned Odom to give him something and it just doesn't happen. After the finals last year and from What I've seen in watching games its no wonder fans are tuning against him.

The lakers copped some breaks with calls and Kobe travelling twice in the final minutes.

Not sure with Odom??He is very Hit and Miss just like Sasha...
What was our Line-up the Last 20 Games of last season??
Gasol, Fisher, Odom, Bryant, Radman.....

I would Insert Ariza in for Radman/Walton because he is a spark for us..Gets it done on D!
But who come off the bench in the 2nd Unit to give that SPARK??

Today Odom stunk it up basically and Gasol just can't get it done when he is man handled. The Lakers were propped up by the Magic's poor free throw shooting otherwise this wouldn't have been close. Fisher kept you in the game.

Famar is out for at least 6 weeks with torn meniscus.

Kobe only really got the one FG in the last from memory and the Magic did a good job of making him give it up early on in the possession.

Jackson challegned Odom to give him something and it just doesn't happen. After the finals last year and from What I've seen in watching games its no wonder fans are tuning against him.

The lakers copped some breaks with calls and Kobe travelling twice in the final minutes.

Yeah with Farmar i was just reading that its possible its just a day to day..Where did you see he out for 6WKS??
Its not that im personally turning on him he has just plain stunk since coming off the bench..No Mid Range jumper and very soft on the Defensive end...Thats why im hoping something comes of the Nocioni Trade..

Your right Kobe missed 6-7 FG in the Last...
Not sure where we are heading????:blink:

Back
Top Bottom