The jersey and patch cards that time and maildays forgot....Part 1 - The retired guys!

skip20

The (un)official PC Showdown Special Comments Guy
Real Name
Skip
Will just launch straight into it......lest they get forgotten again!

So much low end stuff lying around - will kick off with the retired guys and move on to the current day. So let's take a trip down memory lane!

2008 Most Improved Player was..............Hedo Turkoglu! Hard to imagine, him, Rashard Lewis and Dwight Howard being the big 3 players vying for a title - but Stan Van Gundy certainly knows his stuff!

Classics with the really fitting Blast from the Past design and concept.

SCN_0331.jpg

Boom Dizzle! Baron Davis Fleer Platinum with the really cool designs and colour schemes -not many aqua cards about these days!

SCN_0336.jpg

Danny Manning Luxe /99 - Clippers mainstay with that big rubber mattress around his knee. #1 overall back in '88!

SCN_0358.jpg

Bit of love for the glove...Gary Payton. Who didn't have a soft spot for those Sonics teams with him and the Reign Man - always good for an alley-oop or two!

Threads /199 and Luxe /99

SCN_0338.jpg

SCN_0356.jpg

Glenn 'Big Dog' Robinson - most known for being drafted #1 overall ahead of Kidd and Grant Hill. Love these cards because that's legit parquetry floor from THE BOSTON GARDEN.

SCN_0317.jpg

Butler / Arenas / Jamison / Stevenson SPGU /35 - that crazy bunch of Wizards with the big 3 scoring duo

SCN_0101.jpg

Fo, Fo, Fo - it's big Moses Malone. 3 x MVP and champion in 1983 with the 76ers and Dr J. RIP big fella.

SCN_0339.jpg

The little white Canadian engine that could, M-V-Steve - powering those high octane, run n guns Suns squads with STAT and Matrix....

A belated Christmas Card....One on One with Tony Parker (vive le Skybox!), Limited (nice looking design) and Bowman Elevation out of something SP....hard to keep up with that set!

SCN_0296.jpg

SCN_0305.jpg

SCN_0310.jpg

SCN_0306.jpg

Grant Hill FOTG /49 - the Roger Federer of the NBA, except in Orlando, he's public enemy no. 1 over there! Got paid but never played! And when he was able to play............he left for greener pastures! Great all round talent! though!

SCN_0344.jpg

The old Spurs regime is dead and buried - Manu and Timmy - undisputed champs of their day and helped set the standard for team oriented basketball in a 'me first' era.

SPX Winning Combos w/ Manu

SCN_0290.jpg

And some cards of the Big Fundamental himself. SPX, Sweet Shot and Finest.

SCN_0293.jpg

SCN_0294.jpg

SCN_0285.jpg

You all know the tune.....Yao Ming, Yao MIng, Yao Ming, Yao Ming, Yao Ming.......Yao Ming! Is it just me or has his stuff skyrocketed (pardon the pun) in price? Wished he stayed healthy - really enjoyed those Yao & T-Mac squads!

SPX Winning Combos w/ T-Mac

SCN_0291.jpg

SPX, Classics, Finest x 2 (one of the best series of all time),

SCN_0289.jpg

SCN_0335.jpg

SCN_0284.jpg

SCN_0286.jpg

..and if there ever was a design which captured the er, 'essence' of a player surely it's Yao Ming and the Finest Far East Fabrics - in terms of design it's an absolute rip snorta imo!

SCN_0295.jpg

Magic Johnson! Threads /199 Probably the only Magic Johnson card in history where he looks unhappy and doesn't have an ear to ear grin on his face! Why so serious? Like the clean cut look of this design too..

SCN_0359.jpg

To another big man, with er, slightly less finesse and touch.... Shaqtus!

SCN_0292.jpg

Didn't realise how hard these are to come by - but a rare sighting of some Pat Riley GU from UD GOTG. Legendary front office guy and coach too - basketball genius!

SCN_0681.jpg

Some Black Mamba GU - Elite, Threads /199 and the Limited 'Spinaroo' - such er, innovation....

SCN_0177.jpg

SCN_0178.jpg

SCN_0184.jpg

Will leave it here for now and resume with some retiree patches.... To be continued!

...here we go, didn't have as many retiree patches lying around as I thought.

Sarunas Jasikevicius - current Head Coach for Zalgiris in the Euroleague and top of the Lithuanian tables, just in case you wanted to know.

Fleer Ex patch - not exactly known for their memorabilia....

SCN_0194.jpg

Allan Houston - Certified red patch /49 - the dreaded one colour patch! Elite Knicks sniper for many a year....

SCN_0069.jpg

If I was starting over again this guy would probably be one of my PC players...Michael Redd, Been a constant uphill battle from unheralded second rounder to Team USA. Mucho respecto!

Luxury Box /349 and Elite Threads /50 or /49 or something like that....

SCN_0063.jpg

SCN_0079.jpg

Michael Finley - deadly range and in the early days a thunderous finsiher at the rim. Abs Mem Iconic #25/25, I'll just say last of print run which makes it one of a kind! ;)

SCN_0188.jpg

That's it for now - thanks for stopping by and having a look and a read. Likes and comments always appreciated!

Now to get onto the next 'batch'..... :-S

Love the GU/patch theme here. I always laugh when card picture Shaq shooting freethrows. I was always a finley fan and loved the Dallas team with him, Dirk and Nash.

Love the GU/patch theme here. I always laugh when card picture Shaq shooting freethrows. I was always a finley fan and loved the Dallas team with him, Dirk and Nash.

It;s sad how the game used / jersey cards went from the biggest innovation and coolest thing in the hobby to a mere afterthought. Whole heartedly agree with the card picture thing, Shaq shooting FTs, you might as well have a card of Tyronn Lue getting 'stepped over'...not exactly their finest moments!

Back
Top Bottom