The idiots guide to ebay and paypal.

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
**Always on the edit with new info on request**

Since being on eBay since it pretty much started I've dealt with a lot of sellers and buyers over the years. There are some pitfalls that some of you don't know about and should look for when buying on the net.

OK to start with ALWAYS read the auction description first. Do this twice! Look for the small print saying no paypal from unconfirmed addresses, no paypal int, international pays more for postage etc etc.

If they don't state a shipping charge ALWAYS try to email them before the auction ends for a quote. This eliminates the dreded invoice with $10US shipping on it!

Always checkout the feedback. I've seen even power sellers go bad and get negs and get narued.

For high end stuff look for stolen pictures and check completed auctions for the same card listed twice.

For boxes ALWAYS check to see if its the hobby or retail version.

Alway when paying state you want AIRMAIL not surface for just cards. Some sellers will still be tight trying to save on postage. And ask for a bubble mailer. Cards in white envelopes usually arrive damaged.

Normal airmail for 1-5 cards would be roughly $1.70US and then $2.60US.
Another easier option is to ask for a pre paid $5 or $9US global priority mailer. The $5 being small and $9 larger. Generally easier to barter with those options.

Here's the link for postage to Australia using usps for sellers that don't believe your low quotes on postage. Airmail from the west coast of the US takes a shorter amount of time. 6-10 days. Usually most stuff arrives in 14 days. Suface mail can take up to 3 months.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/imm/immicl/immiclab_012.html

Try to buy multiple items of the one seller if you can to keep shipping down and take advantage of combining them.

Paypal provides you some protection when paying both with thier buyer protection and you own CC card company (visa, mastercad). We are unable to get a confirmed address with paypal but you can be a verified member. Be aware the conversion rate paypal give you is about 1-1 1/2 cents lower than the TV exchange rate.

If you find yourself being ripped off you have 45 days from payment to log a claim for a chargeback thru paypal. Although its not clear you may only get 3 claims per calander year. Your credit card company will probably give protection for up to 60 days too so thats an avenue you can take as well.

Due to some dodgey emails floating around always log into your ebay or paypal to pay for items. Don't pay via the emails sent. Its the same thing but you don't have the risk.

Paypal is the easiest, cheapest way to pay.

Most other forms of payment take too long and are more expensive.

When searching on eBay don't forget to search for spelling errors on card people are bound to make. It may take a while but be less specific when searching. You may get more to sift thru but will find more cards listed under bad titles. This is where the bargains are!

Also look at high bidders. Those that are predomitly sellers or have shops will usually have a low max bid on cards. This is due to them having to pick the card up at a lower price to make any sort of profit flipping it. Try to just bump up their bids and you will get some bargains.

As far as bidding avoid round numbers such as $4. Always go to the next bid increment so you are not proxy outbid. Bid numbers such as $4.07 or $4.58. A bid of .99 is usless as any bid of $4.50 and above will still beat your $4.99. The extra few cents is nothing but it will help emliminate the dredded "Oh no I got outbid by 4 cents!"

Use the buy it now search feature and realise that not all BIN's show up in your search. Many more are hidden underneath in the shop category and you have to click again to view them all. To get the bargains click the newly listed first and the latest ones listed will show up. Usually all the bargains are gone quick so no use going thru the ones nearly finished. The bargains are all gone!

Search completed auctions to find out the market value of the card you are after. Rember factors like 'No paypal' or no photo etc keep and auction price down though. Also sellers not in the US usually attract less bidders. You tick the completed auctions button on the left hand side panel and it will give you all the cards sold in the last two weeks. Sold and unsold. Use this to get 'eBay' value.

Overseas sellers can be great as a lot of US buyers stay away from them. I've found little difference between the too and just go by feedback or rep. Beware some shill bidding on some Hong Kong auctions.

Also any new product will sell high at first. The first example of a card on eBay in particular. IF you can wait a little and let it settle. Just not too long on some low #'d stuff as it can just dry up. Use your wits when deciding.

Don't forget bargains can be had at yahoo auctions, naxcom and bidville and beckett marketplace too! Its not all eBay!

For supplies you just can't go past www.nwcardsupplies.com!

Thats all I can think of at the moment but feel free to add to it guys and we hopefully should have less 'I've been screwed' threads and everyone is happy

Ok one other thing I would add on the 'guide to eBay' side of things
Is if you buy through an Australian seller and pay by Bank Deposit, it's always a great idea to email the seller letting them know when you made the deposit, and more importantly what it's for and what the Banking reference is
It is hard for sellers when they get emails like this:

Re: ebay
I just paid for that auction I won
Bob

Or if the deposit just comes up as 'Cash Deposit' on Internet Banking

:D

I've bought from there before. The good thing about naxcom for US buyers is the set postage rate for all cards. Not like on eBay where sellers can charge what they want. We just comunicate with the seller and work out a fair price. Usually around the $3-3.50 mark.

Great Post Chad
From now on I'm referring to you as Mark Davis
Yes, that's right the former 36er
As you are the 'Chairman of the Board'(s)

Ok one other thing I would add on the 'guide to eBay' side of things
Is if you buy through an Australian seller and pay by Bank Deposit, it's always a great idea to email the seller letting them know when you made the deposit, and more importantly what it's for and what the Banking reference is
It is hard for sellers when they get emails like this:

Re: ebay
I just paid for that auction I won
Bob

Or if the deposit just comes up as 'Cash Deposit' on Internet Banking

Ok that's just my 2 cents

Great post Mark!

Totally Locky!!

I dont sell that often, but sold some games a few weeks back, and I had about 4 deposits say "Ebay - Xbox Game".... took me a week to verify who made what payment.....

Then they complained that they were late going out...

when you go to sign up for naxcom.com you can only choose USA or canda for the country you live in. how is it possible to get it sent to australia???

yea nwcardsuppliers seems to be the best option for card protection gear. Received my one touch holder in good time, and postage was cheap. I've looked around and other card gear suppliers are really overpriced in postage to Australia.

I wish that Ebay made everyone read something like this

I recently had a guy pay for a 99 cent card (plus $2 shipping) with a money order. Now correct me if I'm wrong would the money order have cost him $2.50?

Now I understand -
*Maybe doesn't use online banking
*Maybe doesn't live near a bank to make direct deposit
*Doesn't use paypal
*Is afraid of sending chas through the mail.

But DAMN

I just wanted to say that I read the title "The idiots guide to ebay and paypal" - saw Chadjaja was the author, had a private giggle and coughed up my milk. :lol:

All I wanted was your respect and once again I failed. Now I have to stand on a street corner in Tokyo and yell that I'm a bad person and failure. :cry:

I bring shame on my family. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks Jef I wasn't aware of that. That was sudden and didn't see it coming??? :cry:

Now what???

Back
Top Bottom