The Hobby Hangout Melbourne

Parking was a bit poor (to put it politely) but I drove up the end of the streets and there was a heap of parks by the train line. Was about a 5 min walk to the back of the line when I got there so not sure how that would have gone with kids as there didn't seem to be anyone else that wanted to park up that far.

It was definitely stark contrast to previous shows at Sandown/Flemington/Malvern in recent (pre-covid) years where there would be lucky to be 5 people at most stalls at one time.

It was definitely stark contrast to previous shows at Sandown/Flemington/Malvern in recent (pre-covid) years where there would be lucky to be 5 people at most stalls at one time.

I thought it would be dead at 11:30. When we drive into Stubbs St, and saw the line...wow.

End of the day was best when everyone had gone and you could actually look in peace

I thought it would be dead at 11:30. When we drive into Stubbs St, and saw the line...wow.

End of the day was best when everyone had gone and you could actually look in peace
I got there about the same time and thought there must have been another event on somewhere

The Sydney show back in May was not too different. Very, very busy and 2-3 people deep at most stalls. I also took my 7 year old daughter who had a blast.

It was pretty insane 11.45-4pm, I literally only had a 10min break to hit the bathroom.

I underestimated how big the show was going to be and how many people were actually buying. Biggest sellers were Kobe (Had 8psa sold 6) Jordan (4 sgc/2 psa all gone) KD (6 psa 4 sold) Lebron (4 psa 3 sold / 6 sgc 4 sold) and multiple $50-150 ...Ja/Zion/Thybulle/Simmons/Magic/Luka/JJJ etc
Also my 5 for $20 raw 3200ct box was hammered.

Did a few trades also, now that was fun and everyone was very nice and fair. A little kid came with a nice spectra Lamelo and we struck a trade - good to see the young ones learning the art

I didn't have an issue with the parking as I got a spot right out the front (I did get there at 8am to be early for setting up haha).

I spoke to the organisers about the expectations for Brisbane. They said they had sold 400 out of the 600 tickets available. I'd say they would have sold more after seeing what happened in Melbourne.

I was completely unaware of what to expect at the show. My main focus was to show the MERQARY.com website along with selling the card supplies we have. Selling my own singles was only meant to be there to bring people to the table. I ended up selling a lot of my own cards and only a few packs of top loaders and around 50 one touches.

If you are coming through to the Brisbane show make sure you come say hi and let me know your OZCT username! I would love to show you what we've built at MERQARY and talk about what is coming next. You'll also be able to check out some of the rare PG cards I have on display.

Alright, not usually my thing, but I'm gonna do a bit of a write up. Being my first card show and all, and setting up a table for the hell of it.

I have to thank Adam "The27guy" for sending me some extra Basketball Card Fanatic magazines. Lots of quality content and I'm a sucker for the covers each month. I sold a few which helped offset the cost of the table and people liked looking through them.

I was really impressed as soon as I walked in at about 9am. Lots of tables, lots of variety, lots of positivity.

I can't remember who's who as I chatted to so many people. Other than of course @kiwi_in_melb. Thanks for stopping by man. It's certainly a different era when people don't snatch up Exquisites. :lol:

I also met Omar (I hope that's spelt right) from 1of1 who does custom cards. I was actually really impressed with the quality and think he's got some great things happening, especially with team sports being so strong in the Juniors throughout Australia. Some elegant designs that reminded me of Flawless also.

I think everyone I chatted to was buzzing and seemed really excited. I wish I could remember everyone. But all were really keen to chat cards. It was great to chat about non NBA also. I enquired about Soccer, AFL, Pokemon and Stars Wars. There was a bunch of other stuff also.

What sold was interesting, someone whipped through and grabbed a lot of my 90s stuff. My $1 box got raided of good stuff quickly also. People were very particular with what they were buying. Nobody had a lot of interest in the few Flawless and Exquisites I had out (thanks to @kiwi_in_melb for the Exquisite love) but I did only have a small sample of doubles. But still. I thought a few would sell.

I had a few people wanting to trade, I actually think I could have been better there, although most had modern Rookie Autos, mostly in College Unis of players I don't even know, or they had Donruss Bass in a PSA 9. A lot of unproven guys and cards. Just not my thing. But maybe that stuff moves. Some of my cards of legends didn't get moved so going with the times could be wise.

I saw a lot of people carrying bags of Blasters of Chronicles or other lower end product, stuff that really is a pretty poor buy. I did have a really great guy talk to me about his start in the Hobby. He mentioned he realized he needed to change when he'd noticed he'd spent $12k on busting with Cherry over a year or so and had very little to show for it. Singles are the way to go if you don't want to lose all your monies. Busting is way more fun, but there really is a lot of junk out there at the moment. Be careful people. As long as you're busting for fun, it doesn't matter, but be prepared to lose often (we've all been there). I'm a little concerned some people will get chewed up and spat out pretty quick.

A lot of product was there for sale. I was supposed to grab a box of 19/20 Mosaic from a great member on here but was in a rush for my flight home.

There were a lot of kids, and some had fine tastes, picking up the Steph Revolution Sunburst I had and the Luka Prizm Silver 9.5 (only 2nd year) for a look. Some savvy kids getting around. A lot carrying those lockable cases.

The Blank Slate set was great to see, as well as the Panini One and One Rookies of Ja and Zion in that showcase. Wild collection.

I had people asking for D. Mitchell, Gobert, Booker, KAT, Jordan, Kemp, vintage, RJ Barrett, Draymond. So people knew what they wanted and scanned carefully.

I didn't get to look at the trading section. I hope Brissy has a similar set up. I might bring some bigger pieces and see what's out there.

I wasn't a fan of the new pump I heard being brought up on stage, which is the authentication side of cards. Like really? We're gonna pay for grading and authenticating now? Seems to be the push from the big names in our "hobby" with Fanatics on board (to be fair a Xmas gift I got was authenticated by Fanatics at a premium, which is just not necessary, but to newbs it is). Big business is find new ways to make more money.

I will say, the BEST thing about the day, was the conversations with people. Really good people too. Everyone was nice and was sharing in the experience. I've never really had that in person before. So that was great to see. I find it a bit hilarious people think the Hobby is dying. Far from it. People just happy to talk cards. Very fun.

I will say, I was flat out from about 11:30am until 1:30pm where it felt like I didn't get a chance to look around. I hope I didn't miss anyone that wanted to look at things on the table or make a deal. It was pretty nutso.

Overall it far exceeded expectations. I feel for people that got stuck in a big line and found it a bit of a squeeze early on. After lunch had a lot more room. I'm taking my kids to Brissy so might go after lunch. We'll see.

Maybe this weekend I'll find a big card. Fingers crossed.
Great write up. Cheers!

Alright, not usually my thing, but I'm gonna do a bit of a write up. Being my first card show and all, and setting up a table for the hell of it.

I have to thank Adam "The27guy" for sending me some extra Basketball Card Fanatic magazines. Lots of quality content and I'm a sucker for the covers each month. I sold a few which helped offset the cost of the table and people liked looking through them.

I was really impressed as soon as I walked in at about 9am. Lots of tables, lots of variety, lots of positivity.

I can't remember who's who as I chatted to so many people. Other than of course @kiwi_in_melb. Thanks for stopping by man. It's certainly a different era when people don't snatch up Exquisites. :lol:

I also met Omar (I hope that's spelt right) from 1of1 who does custom cards. I was actually really impressed with the quality and think he's got some great things happening, especially with team sports being so strong in the Juniors throughout Australia. Some elegant designs that reminded me of Flawless also.

I think everyone I chatted to was buzzing and seemed really excited. I wish I could remember everyone. But all were really keen to chat cards. It was great to chat about non NBA also. I enquired about Soccer, AFL, Pokemon and Stars Wars. There was a bunch of other stuff also.

What sold was interesting, someone whipped through and grabbed a lot of my 90s stuff. My $1 box got raided of good stuff quickly also. People were very particular with what they were buying. Nobody had a lot of interest in the few Flawless and Exquisites I had out (thanks to @kiwi_in_melb for the Exquisite love) but I did only have a small sample of doubles. But still. I thought a few would sell.

I had a few people wanting to trade, I actually think I could have been better there, although most had modern Rookie Autos, mostly in College Unis of players I don't even know, or they had Donruss Bass in a PSA 9. A lot of unproven guys and cards. Just not my thing. But maybe that stuff moves. Some of my cards of legends didn't get moved so going with the times could be wise.

I saw a lot of people carrying bags of Blasters of Chronicles or other lower end product, stuff that really is a pretty poor buy. I did have a really great guy talk to me about his start in the Hobby. He mentioned he realized he needed to change when he'd noticed he'd spent $12k on busting with Cherry over a year or so and had very little to show for it. Singles are the way to go if you don't want to lose all your monies. Busting is way more fun, but there really is a lot of junk out there at the moment. Be careful people. As long as you're busting for fun, it doesn't matter, but be prepared to lose often (we've all been there). I'm a little concerned some people will get chewed up and spat out pretty quick.

A lot of product was there for sale. I was supposed to grab a box of 19/20 Mosaic from a great member on here but was in a rush for my flight home.

There were a lot of kids, and some had fine tastes, picking up the Steph Revolution Sunburst I had and the Luka Prizm Silver 9.5 (only 2nd year) for a look. Some savvy kids getting around. A lot carrying those lockable cases.

The Blank Slate set was great to see, as well as the Panini One and One Rookies of Ja and Zion in that showcase. Wild collection.

I had people asking for D. Mitchell, Gobert, Booker, KAT, Jordan, Kemp, vintage, RJ Barrett, Draymond. So people knew what they wanted and scanned carefully.

I didn't get to look at the trading section. I hope Brissy has a similar set up. I might bring some bigger pieces and see what's out there.

I wasn't a fan of the new pump I heard being brought up on stage, which is the authentication side of cards. Like really? We're gonna pay for grading and authenticating now? Seems to be the push from the big names in our "hobby" with Fanatics on board (to be fair a Xmas gift I got was authenticated by Fanatics at a premium, which is just not necessary, but to newbs it is). Big business is find new ways to make more money.

I will say, the BEST thing about the day, was the conversations with people. Really good people too. Everyone was nice and was sharing in the experience. I've never really had that in person before. So that was great to see. I find it a bit hilarious people think the Hobby is dying. Far from it. People just happy to talk cards. Very fun.

I will say, I was flat out from about 11:30am until 1:30pm where it felt like I didn't get a chance to look around. I hope I didn't miss anyone that wanted to look at things on the table or make a deal. It was pretty nutso.

Overall it far exceeded expectations. I feel for people that got stuck in a big line and found it a bit of a squeeze early on. After lunch had a lot more room. I'm taking my kids to Brissy so might go after lunch. We'll see.

Maybe this weekend I'll find a big card. Fingers crossed.
Good write up mate! Im coming to Brisbane on the Exqusite hunt, so fingers crossed there are some!!

Good write up mate! Im coming to Brisbane on the Exqusite hunt, so fingers crossed there are some!!

Oh look out!

What kind of Exquisites?

I might bring some others to show off. I didn't take anything PC to Melbourne.

One thing that was cool, was a lot of people just interested in cards they hadn't seen before.

A couple of lads in their late teens early 20s maybe, were asking about a 20/21 LeBron Prizm base and silver I had. They weren't sure which one was the silver.

Just a lot of fresh energy. It was quite refreshing. Some people asked if the Flawless I had out was this seasons, when it was 12/13 and 13/14.

I really enjoyed sharing some info.

Seeing a lot of different jerseys and sweet AF t-shirts people were rolling.

Lots of Lamelo. But even an OG #2 Hornets jersey of my guy LJ. 🥰

Can't wait for Brissy!

I have a question. Planning to attend Brisbane. From what people have seen so far, do most vendors accept card payments, or is cash king throughout?

Speaking from Sydney Hobby Hangout experience.. cards to vendors only works if you have high grade (PSA 10 etc) and are willing to go well below comps.
My advice would be to have your prices marked on your cards (sticker on your slabs/toploaders), be reasonable with prices and show your best stuff first.

Speaking from Sydney Hobby Hangout experience.. cards to vendors only works if you have high grade (PSA 10 etc) and are willing to go well below comps.
My advice would be to have your prices marked on your cards (sticker on your slabs/toploaders), be reasonable with prices and show your best stuff first.
I was just wanting to know if it's likely I can use a card to pay for purchases, or if most people expect cash :)

I was just wanting to know if it's likely I can use a card to pay for purchases, or if most people expect cash :)

:lol: oops my bad, I saw someone asking about trades at the card shows earlier on Facebook and read this the same way haha.

It was mostly card accepted. Out of the 6 places I purchased from, only one was asking for cash only. There was an ATM onsite (which was down at the end of the day) and the place ended up taking part cash and part PayPal FF on the spot.

And I'd say that cash only place would have since purchased a tap and pay unit from Officeworks considering how easy it is to setup and how many more sales they could generate with it.

Oh look out!

What kind of Exquisites?

I might bring some others to show off. I didn't take anything PC to Melbourne.

One thing that was cool, was a lot of people just interested in cards they hadn't seen before.

A couple of lads in their late teens early 20s maybe, were asking about a 20/21 LeBron Prizm base and silver I had. They weren't sure which one was the silver.

Just a lot of fresh energy. It was quite refreshing. Some people asked if the Flawless I had out was this seasons, when it was 12/13 and 13/14.

I really enjoyed sharing some info.

Seeing a lot of different jerseys and sweet AF t-shirts people were rolling.

Lots of Lamelo. But even an OG #2 Hornets jersey of my guy LJ. 🥰

Can't wait for Brissy!
Hopefully there's a couple of pieces from the golden era (03-10) to look at and maybe pickup, keen to see what's out there tho.
Yeah like the sharing of info, ill wait for the Newcastle Hobby Hangout and put up a stall there, can share some info on the difference between a jersey and patch card! lol!

I have a question. Planning to attend Brisbane. From what people have seen so far, do most vendors accept card payments, or is cash king throughout?

I think all the bigger guys did card payment.
Hopefully there's a couple of pieces from the golden era (03-10) to look at and maybe pickup, keen to see what's out there tho.
Yeah like the sharing of info, ill wait for the Newcastle Hobby Hangout and put up a stall there, can share some info on the difference between a jersey and patch card! lol!

Man it's hilarious how many youtubers call a plain jersey a patch. 🤦‍♂️

Hey Drobs, wasn’t able to make the MEL show but seems like card shows have now gone to the next level then the ones we attended pre Covid, it’s great news and thanks for giving us a feel how the day was. Who is behind the Hobby Hangout, to take it nationally and get the numbers and buzz they have done a fantastic job, tip my lid to them as seems sellers and buyers loved it as per this thread.

Back
Top Bottom