The Hobby Hangout Brisbane

drobfan8

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Ben
Hi all,

I thought I'd see who else got there today and what you experienced. It was very different to Melbourne with the flooding around. I almost didn't think we'd get home for a while there. The rain was truly torrential and hardly let up.

Inside the Tivoli was so nice. Perfectly busy I would say, not sure how the vendors found it, but it was at times tricky to get to the front easily, but never seemed rammed. It surely would have been different had the weather been better.

I thought there was a good mix again, some really nice basketball as well as plenty of Pokemon, Yugioh and the rest.

After seeing 2 shows in consecutive Sundays, I would have to say that there is very a much a new crowd of collector. A lot of collections are really top heavy from the last year or 2, not a bad thing, just an observation. In saying that there was a nice Kobe collector there and a couple of others hanging in the trading zone that had a bit of a mix. There seemed to be a little more Kobe and MJ cards around than in Melbourne also.

Still a lot of people holding Prizm base PSA Rookies (or maybe they're trickier to shift) and the like. Plenty of Optic, Mosaic etc and of course a sprinkling of the Silvers for Rookies.
You can tell the recent run of Retail products have had a massive influence on what's happening in Australia right now. A lot of people without any knowledge of sets like Exquisite and Flawless and the like. But they can appreciate a nice card when they see it. NBA card collecting is certainly a rabbit hole. The access to opening boxes/packs has helped push this new type of collector. It will be interesting to look back in 3-5 years and see what the cards prices have done from 19/20 and 20/21 in particular. Especially after some of these Rookies either tank, or get taken over by newer Rookies. Or will a player take off and become a Superstar and these prices are actually cheap?

I didn't see anything big that I wanted, but I'm fussy in my old age, kind of. But I did nab what I thought was one of the more iconic cards at the show. I finally grabbed a 97/98 Metal Universe Base Michael Jordan for my MJ 90s base set collection. Very happy with that one. A collector in the trading zone heard me asking for MJ and he was happy to make a deal for it. Very happy to leave with a PC item that looks in nice condition too.

The trading area was the place to be. I was surprised a lot of people talked about not really buying off ebay a whole lot. Maybe they are using FB groups etc more. Ebay is still hard to beat for variety and also for the amount of eyes on a listing if selling. It was hard for me to shell out for cards that I know pop up on ebay almost every day. Topps base Rookies of Kobe were heavy, and probably everyone needs one in their life, but I didn't pull the trigger.

I cut a few laps around, you don't want to miss anything. There was a really nice range of boxes available. The 95/96 Flair Srs 2 box was most tempting, as well as the 94/95 Fleer box, and also the 19/20 Mosaic Cello box. If I hadn't burned money on the recent Mosaic release ($400 on a little bit of fun, but this is the tipping point for Panini IMO, expensive garbage mostly, should be 30% off that cost) I could have snapped up some fun here. But I am focused on 1 big item at the moment instead of risking it busting.

I would have to say that the sellers from the past 2 weeks have been outstanding. Really easy to talk to and happy to inform (as someone who knows nothing about basically everything other than NBA).

If you didn't get to one this year, it's a must next year (or end of this year??). I would probably open a stall again, but go halves with someone so I can move around the room more than in Melbourne. I didn't get an opportunity to show off a lot of stuff without the stall in Brisbane.

So far I would say the best thing has been the really decent people getting around, keen to see what you've got or just chat.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. Looking forward to the next one.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good time. Ive been a bit absent on the board lately so completely missed this was happening but with the flooding I don't think I would of made it out anyway, but hopefully they put on another one

Sounds like a good time. Ive been a bit absent on the board lately so completely missed this was happening but with the flooding I don't think I would of made it out anyway, but hopefully they put on another one

Apparently there is another one soon. To make up for those that couldn't make it due to the floods.

Yeah Hobby Hangout was a blast. In both Melbourne & Brisbane! I even made it to Sydney last year!

Melbourne was beyond packed!! Brisbane was great as was more room to move and not have to dodge people as such.

You're right about the variety being mainly new product cards and rookies. Was some good old school stuff too, but had to harder to find!

the weather definitely kept the numbers down, but glad everyone I've spoken to since made it home okay!!

Can't wait to do it again!!

Good show! A lot more gaming and ultra modern NBA than i was expecting, still walked away with a couple of Kobe rookies and some sealed 90s wax so not too bad. Horrible weather, but everyone was friendly and easy to deal with!

Back
Top Bottom