The Card Market Thoughts

1of1mc

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Omar
I was bored and quickly put this together.

As an investor and collector, my cards make up 15% of my portfolio, and with the current economic downturn, I am wondering, “Is it worth selling my cards?” Considering interest rates going up by 1, 2, or 3 basis points, inflation hitting all time highs, fuel prices, war and still recovering from COVID. It's getting harder to find disposable income and alot of speculators (follow the jones’) have left and moved on to a new trend.
During the past three months, basketball cards have dropped 16.27%, entertainment cards have declined 23.14%, ultra modern cards have dropped 19.5%, and racing cards have fallen 12.38% (source: Card Ladder). Some high end cards have fallen 50-75% in some cases. Panini, Topps, Upper Deck etc have probably over printed again and items graded for July PSA +13%, CCG -13%, CSG -20%, SGC -46% and Beckett ?.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing for me? This is the perfect opportunity to purchase undervalued cards below market value. My goal is to purchase, hold, and allocate what I can afford.
In my opinion, we should consider cards (collectibles) as a financial sector rather than a hobby.
There have been a number of reasons recently. Blackrock acquired CCG, Collector Universe was purchased for $850M, Fanatics purchases Topps for $500M, Whatnot valued at $3.7 billion, PWCC have sold $200M and upwards of cards, and I'm sure there have been several private sales of high end cards that we might not know about. In light of Disney's ownership of Marvel, Upper Deck will capitalise on the franchise and Zerocool will concentrate on the pop culture community (like minded people).
You have to ask yourself “why and what is it that they see that we don’t?”
When major public companies and high end investors park their money in cards, they have done their due diligence. If you want to invest long term in cards, you can't go wrong with the old saying, "Buy the rumor, sell the news.".

As well as the card community in Australia. “This is my opinion” I feel like someone has established a culture of “fend for yourself and don't ask for assistance”. Without cooperation between card shops, dealers/investors, breakers and collectors, we will not grow. Use each other's strengths: LCS team up and buy together for buying power overseas, breakers promote your LCS or break for them to increase your audience base, dealers and investors educate the public and provide sound advice leverage off youtube ads as well. Collectors, help out the younger generation, they need mentors in this community.

Anyways that's my rant!

Sorry, but I see card collecting as a hobby - as it was originally - not a means of making money. Going by language used, the op is actively trying to encourage seeing card collecting as a means of making money. Investors have always been the scourge of this hobby and I will continue to say that regardless. Most people here are hobbyists, not investors.

Welcome to the site @1of1mc - coincidentally I just liked your Instagram page yesterday so I can eventually get a custom card of my son later this year! Seen you on the cardladder National 2022 review. Your stuff looks great!

Last edited:
buy the dip :)

Excited Season 4 GIF by The Office

As an investor and collector, my cards make up 15% of my portfolio, and with the current economic downturn, I am wondering, “Is it worth selling my cards?” Considering interest rates going up by 1, 2, or 3 basis points, inflation hitting all time highs, fuel prices, war and still recovering from COVID. It's getting harder to find disposable income and alot of speculators (follow the jones’) have left and moved on to a new trend.
During the past three months, basketball cards have dropped 16.27%, entertainment cards have declined 23.14%, ultra modern cards have dropped 19.5%, and racing cards have fallen 12.38% (source: Card Ladder). Some high end cards have fallen 50-75% in some cases. Panini, Topps, Upper Deck etc have probably over printed again and items graded for July PSA +13%, CCG -13%, CSG -20%, SGC -46% and Beckett ?.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing for me? This is the perfect opportunity to purchase undervalued cards below market value. My goal is to purchase, hold, and allocate what I can afford.
In my opinion, we should consider cards (collectibles) as a financial sector rather than a hobby.
There have been a number of reasons recently. Blackrock acquired CCG, Collector Universe was purchased for $850M, Fanatics purchases Topps for $500M, Whatnot valued at $3.7 billion, PWCC have sold $200M and upwards of cards, and I'm sure there have been several private sales of high end cards that we might not know about. In light of Disney's ownership of Marvel, Upper Deck will capitalise on the franchise and Zerocool will concentrate on the pop culture community (like minded people).
When major public companies and high end investors park their money in cards, they have done their due diligence. If you want to invest long term in cards, you can't go wrong with the old saying, "Buy the rumor, sell the news.".

As well as the card community in Australia. “This is my opinion” I feel like someone has established a culture of “fend for yourself and don't ask for assistance”. Without cooperation between card shops, dealers/investors, breakers and collectors, we will not grow. Use each other's strengths: LCS team up and buy together for buying power overseas, breakers promote your LCS or break for them to increase your audience base, dealers and investors educate the public and provide sound advice leverage off youtube ads as well. Collectors, help out the younger generation, they need mentors in this community.

Anyways that's my rant!
as a lifelong HOBBYIST and collector, I absolutely hate everything you just said, and its thinking like this that has killed the hobby. Go buy some NFT's if you want to be trendy and profitable.

as a lifelong HOBBYIST and collector, I absolutely hate everything you just said, and its thinking like this that has killed the hobby. Go buy some NFT's if you want to be trendy and profitable.

I hear what you're saying - but I've definitely sold (flipped?) cards at high points to use those $ to buy PC cards - I don't think that's too scummy is it? Seems like a win win to me - people buy at the market value something they want and I get something I want :kick:

You're a life long hobbyist. What you explained is perfectly normal and part of the game. (I haven't been on here for a while, but I remember you from well over a decade ago when I was a regular. You're a real one).

What the OP is describing is literally using cards as stock/shares etc. There's no love there, and I think that sucks and hurts the hobby.

You're a life long hobbyist. What you explained is perfectly normal and part of the game. (I haven't been on here for a while, but I remember you from well over a decade ago when I was a regular. You're a real one).

What the OP is describing is literally using cards as stock/shares etc. There's no love there, and I think that sucks and hurts the hobby.

All good mate! Would love to hear more from OP rather than post and run lol - discussion is always good!

Collectors are supposed to love Investors though, as Collectors sell off all their unwanted/untried rookies to Investors.
Collectors buy their GOATS. Investors buy HYPE.
Balance in the force.
That's how the hobby is supposed to work right :ermm:

Star Wars Force GIF

Anyways that's my rant!
That was a good read thank you

I'm in two minds about this. I was drawn back into the hobby because I wanted something fun to share with my sons. They get 95% of my purchases after we do a rip, and I keep whatever suits my PC. It's mostly about cheap rips, NBA Aussies, Rabbitohs, junk wax, obscure non-sport and European cards, and shared memories. If I get something high end out of it, that's a bonus.
The downside of investors in the hobby is that I'm a bit wary of talking about some of what I collect, because some of it is very old, incredibly niche and I'm not sure I want to draw investors attention to it, because it's barely affordable as is, despite being very undervalued, and is hard to find. The upside to investors in the market is that whenever I kick the bucket I want my boys to inherit my cards and have an opportunity to sell it if they so wish, just like my Dad wanted for me with his coin collection (still with me).

I absolutely consider myself a collector, not an investor. But no matter the market conditions, I stick to the same rules I always have - since long before the pandemic bubble changed everything.

1. No base cards.
2. If you can buy it at any given moment you want to, then be cautious.

Of course, I primarily follow these rules to maximise sales potential when the time comes, since I'm often switching my collecting focus and don't want to be left with stuff I can't move. But I also follow them because I enjoy the hunt - something you don't get when you're buying cards that are everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom