The Australian cricket non-official thread!

How these pitches continually get turned out is a disgrace. It's literally killing test cricket.

I'm all for toil but there was nothing in that pitch for bowling team.

I sat thru each day last year's Boxing Day test and that almost broke me. Can't begin to imagine what two days in 40 drgree heat on a road does to a player.

Head and Laubusagne sadly looked like they'd never encountered a single spinning ball before. Make M Marsh look like Don Bradman.

I remember when 50-60 First Class average and a 1000 runs a summer might get you a baggy green.

Maxwell and Renshaw are desperately unlucky. The JL era...gosh...

Head and Laubusagne sadly looked like they'd never encountered a single spinning ball before. Make M Marsh look like Don Bradman.

I remember when 50-60 First Class average and a 1000 runs a summer might get you a baggy green.

Maxwell and Renshaw are desperately unlucky. The JL era...gosh...
Easy, give it a minute before you rip into JL :p

He's missing his two best batsmen and two of his three best quicks. And as you mentioned almost any batsman these days seems to be able to snag a baggy green - due to a lack of domestic depth. That's not JL's fault. Give him at least a year and see how he goes with a full strength team in the 2019 Ashes and World Cup. I reckon you'll be surprised.

I can't begin to believe who in their right mind, at any level of cricket in Australia thought it was conceivably possible that Mitch Marsh was a #4 Test batsman!

He must have been tired from all that bowling he did, because, umm...yeah...he's an all rounder too, so we're told.

Discussing this very point with my brother this afternoon. MM has come along way and I know we are light on but he is not and never will be a test #4

I've waited two decades or more for stubborn resistance from an Australian side.
That JL era is looking alright now isn't it ;)

Massive effort today, we had no right to draw that match. Khawaja with a well-deserved man of the match award, should do wonders for his confidence. Paine played a captain's innings when we needed it most. Plenty of improvement in us and things to work on but things are looking up :thumbsup:

That JL era is looking alright now isn't it ;)

Massive effort today, we had no right to draw that match. Khawaja with a well-deserved man of the match award, should do wonders for his confidence. Paine played a captain's innings when we needed it most. Plenty of improvement in us and things to work on but things are looking up :thumbsup:

Whilst it was a monumental effort....

Both Marshes offereed absolutely nothing and should be dropped. Renshaw in and Maxwell would offer more than MM. Labuschagne was more of an all rounder, bowled very well, looks like he will bat well and deserves to be persevered with over MM.

Starc needs to be read the riot act and told to pull his finger out. So much so that Cummins and Hazelwood are on top of him and should be given priority. I love Siddle and he gave 120% but he's at the end, had no right to play yet outplayed Starc in almost every facet.

Paine is stop gap and despite his heroics I'd have still put in Carey. That said he will prove me wrong and it was refreshing to hear him admit we'd been thoroughly outplayed the first few days. Furthermore many 'great' Australian teams have played Asia and not won so a draw is good work. I think the belief started in India last year though...not so much now JL is guvnor.

Furthermore, why is MM VC of this team and not Khawaja?

So yeah...great effort by some. Starc and the Marshes can't rely on reputation, potential, mate's rates etc without providing to the team. Australia could have potentially won that match had both Marshes provided scores in both innings.

Last edited:
I also reckon it's safe to say Labuschagne could take MMs spot. Much much better than a part time leggie.

Renshaw in, with Finch.

Khawaja, Head and Laubuschagne. Someone at 4 keeping the seat warm for Smith.

If they're looking for grit...Joe Burns is a good sort. I'm interested to see how Jason Sangha goes too (for NSW).

Back
Top Bottom