The Australian cricket non-official thread!

I must admit it is quite exciting times. Even though I was a bit young, I have read and watched heaps on the start of the Border era and how tough it was. This is somewhat of s similar time except the might of the West Indies is now the might of India

If we prepare the right decks in Australia and have Cummins, Haze, Starc, Pattinson and Lyonat our disposal with Labuschagne for leggies, that's a great attack.

Just on Border - and I bow to him as the most important Australian cricketer after Bradman - but he started when the whole WSC / Establishment thing was roaring. That he and Kim Hughes were basically the only two to come in to that star studded set up (from a team of whipping boys) says plenty.

Then post retirements and Kim crying and Rebel tours he got to a point where he and like minded players said enough is enough. Losingand stoic draws aren't enough.

Blokes like Boon and Jones and Hughes and S Waugh and Marsh and Reid and Mo bougt in and from their they fought their arses off. Tooth n nail. Plenty of grit and heartache.

He pushed for Warne. He backed his players. He attacked.

That he spent his last two years being chased out of the game and wasn't allowed to finish agsinst England 94/95 was criminal imho.

Border was instrumental in Australia survining and winning. Nothing came easy. At his peak he carried this country like a one man band. Ch 9 commentators were his worst nemesis.

He's great in commentary now. So astute but relaxed and fair. I will forever love the bloke and Generation (s) Next neef to look at the Border playbook to see how it should be done.

I'm not a massive JL fan BUT I do detect the same fighting spirit and grit. Here's hoping...

Just on Border - and I bow to him as the most important Australian cricketer after Bradman - but he started when the whole WSC / Establishment thing was roaring. That he and Kim Hughes were basically the only two to come in to that star studded set up (from a team of whipping boys) says plenty.

Then post retirements and Kim crying and Rebel tours he got to a point where he and like minded players said enough is enough. Losingand stoic draws aren't enough.

Blokes like Boon and Jones and Hughes and S Waugh and Marsh and Reid and Mo bougt in and from their they fought their arses off. Tooth n nail. Plenty of grit and heartache.

He pushed for Warne. He backed his players. He attacked.

That he spent his last two years being chased out of the game and wasn't allowed to finish agsinst England 94/95 was criminal imho.

Border was instrumental in Australia survining and winning. Nothing came easy. At his peak he carried this country like a one man band. Ch 9 commentators were his worst nemesis.

He's great in commentary now. So astute but relaxed and fair. I will forever love the bloke and Generation (s) Next neef to look at the Border playbook to see how it should be done.

I'm not a massive JL fan BUT I do detect the same fighting spirit and grit. Here's hoping...

Well said. I do see a bit of AB grit in JL

I just wish that Australian would do away with their love of medium fast all rounders. No disrespect to MM, he is a great cricketer and tremendous athlete and has come along way in the test arena. In fairness to him and his longevity, he needs to be picked in the right conditions and at 6.

Regarding AB, Here is one I stole from a banner on the Gabba Hill in 95 when the Bulls broke their duck (I was there!!)

Allan Border
AB (ay-be) noun
a) legend / champion
b) Queenslander

We know the last part isn’t fully correct but AB does claim to be a banana bender!!!

He can take his brother with him. Average of 26 with the bat and over 43 with the ball after nearly 30 tests proves he isn't a test level alrounder

Mitch needs to move back down to number six where he batted so well last summer. Shaun will retain his spot at least until the suspended trio return - we're already lacking batting depth as it is and not sure there's anyone better to replace him, especially in our conditions.

That being said, we need to do something about these collapses, especially in away matches. Rectify that and we're halfway there. Obviously easier said than done, though.

Also, how good was Abbas? Very Philander-like, he'll lead their attack for a long time.

I wrote this (in part) on 14th December last year:

"I really feel sorry for young Mitchell Marsh. I love his passion, I love his work ethic. I admire the fact that he has taken on the added responsibility of becoming the captain of Western Australia. I love that success and failure MEANS something to him. I really like HIM as a person and cricketer.

However, the kid has been a lamb to the slaughter since his Test debut.

There are all manner of excuses as to why the young bloke hasn't yet blossomed as a Test all-rounder of high quality. Unfortunately there must surely come a time where the numbers must count for something. In my opinion, those numbers should have been taken into account before this Test match. Mitch has made only two half-centuries in thirty five innings, and averages 21.74 with the bat. With the ball, he has taken 29 wickets at cost of 37.48 per wicket.

I desperately want the man to succeed but I sadly can't see it. For that, the Australian selectors must take a large amount of blame. He has been repeatedly set up to fail. Mitchell Marsh has become an object of mockery. The poor bastard shouldn't be playing Test cricket until his batting is good enough to warrant consistent selection."

His Test scores since a first innings 96 against South Africa at Durban read: 6, 4, 45, 5, 16, 4, 0, 12, 0, 13, 5.

Australian selectors owe this young man an apology - and an acknowledgement that they have asked too much of him. There is no shame in trying your best and failing as an individual, but there is in constantly asking someone to perform a task which is beyond them.

I think it's great that you can buy BBL AND WBBL calendars this year!

@Bronz this would interest you mate :)
9781925634976.jpg

9781925634976_1.jpg

9781925634983.jpg

9781925634983_1.jpg

So, the 'Summer of Cricket' begins....... on Foxtel!!! Is it too early to say that I miss Channel 9's coverage?

People haven't paid to go watch in years and the ratings haven't been crash hot except for England and India ODIs.

Suddenly, ODIs on Fox and people lose their shit.

The outrage! The temerity!

It wasn't that long ago that the host city was blacked out - and it was probably a mistake to have moved from that position when they did it.

Back
Top Bottom