The Australian cricket non-official thread!

image.png
House of Paine, long may it reign.

Batting with a broken thumb.

Looks like he'll have some tongue damage too....

A week on, what is everyone feeling about this awful mess, the Australian team....and the game of cricket generally?

Are you at the "denial", "anger", "bargaining", "depression" or "acceptance" stage?

Have your views changed completely since last Sunday?

Do you fear that the answer to "who knew what" will be too much to cope with?

For those of you that play, umpire or volunteer for cricket clubs: are you ready to pack it in altogether, or are you determined to be a standard-bearer for the way the game SHOULD be played?

Have you adopted the women's team as THE Australian team now?

To some, the above questions might be melodramatic - in defence, I merely submit approximately 28 years of devotion to what has essentially been a important hobby: following cricket.

Great Post Matty76...
Love playing the game, love volunteering, coaching and umpiring... (Cue jeers!) Will uphold the standards and spirit of the game as always...
Whilst I personally have expressed my disappointment at the conduct, I find it inexplicably unacceptable that people find it ok to troll, threaten or wish harm upon anyone for something that happened in a game of cricket...
And I haven't adopted the Women's team - they're already my sisters and family!!

It's heartening that a respected former cricketer - in this instance Rick McCosker - will chair an independent review into "cultural, organisational and governance issues" in cricket. He is expected to be joined by two former and two current players on a panel. Peter Collins, Director of the Centre for Ethical Leadership, will act as a facilitator of sorts.

Let's have some fun with this! If you had to pick two former players and two current players to form the quartet of panellists, who would you choose? I am sadly not including Mark Taylor as he is a current board member of Cricket Australia and as such would be conflicted.

I would select Ian Chappell, Simon Katich, George Bailey and Meg Lanning.

Past players - Alex Blackwell and Ian Healy.
Current- Alyssa Healy, Mitchell Starc...

Can you imagine the discussions around the Healy family dinner table?!?!

Last edited:
My recommendations would be:

David Boon (Former Australian Player and Former ICC Match Referee)
Adam Gilchrist (Former Australian Captain)
Rachel Haynes (Current Australian Women's Player)
Elyse 'Junior' Villani (Current Australian Women's Player)

As the Current Australian Men's Team has tarnished the 'Spirit of Cricket' code I would find it difficult to appoint any current male player to be a part of any review.

Just wonderful.........can't wait to listen to the well known Shield cricketer James Brayshaw
'Creamed that one to the boundary'
'Smashed it!!'
'Av summa that'
'Wooooaaahhhh!!!!'
'He's got the pill in his hand'
Looks like ABC Grandstand will get a work out from me this summer!!!

Just wonderful.........can't wait to listen to the well known Shield cricketer James Brayshaw
'Creamed that one to the boundary'
'Smashed it!!'
'Av summa that'
'Wooooaaahhhh!!!!'
'He's got the pill in his hand'
Looks like ABC Grandstand will get a work out from me this summer!!!
He’ll start comparing it to the footy...”That’s a screamer from the GOAT! Modra like!”

Howie can go back to his first two loves:

* himself
* AFL comparisons

Ch 7 are in an enviable position to hire the best commentators - men, women, former players and cricket enthusiasts who weren't in the boys club.

And no wannabe commedians or Flemmos 'u turn of unemployment'.

To elaborate on this, reports suggest Channel 7 will broadcast all Tests and BBL matches, whilst Foxtel will broadcast ODIs and T20Is

Will be interesting to see the final breakdown.

I hope the BBL remains as a whole on Free To Air as it really took off once it started on Ten as was able to be watched by everyone (well those without pay TV).

I guess we will now have Cricket Lunch Breaks on 7 hosted by Paleo Pete and Manu from MKR, Alf from Home and Away will do the toss....so you want to flamin bat, and Bruce McAvaney will commentate on Davey Warners ....I mean a Matt Renshaw SPECIAL hundred.

I can't actually believe 9 lost it.

My whole life it's been on 9.

5-10 years ago I would have been no way . But the boys club at 9 have clearly got old.

Once Richie and Tony died, and Bill became a 12th Man caricature, and they stopped inviting international commentators other than Warneys mates and the rise of excellent women commentators doing extremely well along with some of the fresh voices on ten and 9 didn't change their approach, their days were doomed.

Back
Top Bottom