The Australian cricket non-official thread!

I wrote about this incdent early last week in an emotive manner and upon reflection now realise that suggesting that a life ban was “entirely appropriate” is not something I am comfortable with.

The ICC itself charged Steve Smith with a Level 2 offence (there are four grades available for use, Level 4 being the most serious). Cricket Australia have issued sanctions based on “mood” as opposed to “fact” in my opinion....unless there is yet MORE to come. We of course await David Warner’s next move.

A couple of things to end with:

1. From the country that brought us Appartheid, Hansie Cronje and a current Test captain being twice found guilty of ball tampering himself - you’ll excuse me if I ignore what YOUR media has to say about integrity in sport. Glass houses, stones and all that.

2. “Intern Pete” (bloke who gate-crashed Steve Smith’s press conference) - your talent is sadly restricted to being a “bovver boy” for Kyle Sandilands. You would do well to reflect upon that.

Because I am absolutely gutted, absolutely torn and I'm trying to find forgiveness in my heart, I just was doing some checking.

On pure numbers alone in Test cricket:

Neil Harvey is considered a legendary Australian cricketer.

79 tests, 6149 runs, 48.41 ave

David Warner, current villain:

74 tests, 6363 runs, ave 48.20.

@The Mad Hatter: Mate, the numbers sadly tell only a very small part of the respective stories.

Consider the opening paragraph of Cricinfo's biography of Neil Harvey: "One of Australia's all-time favourite cricketing sons, Neil Harvey was a gifted left-hand batsman, brilliantly athletic fielder, and occasional offspin bowler. On account of the richness of his talents, he served Victoria, New South Wales and Australia with great distinction during a first-class career which spanned the 16-year period between 1946-47 and 1962-63."

Ian Chappell's Test average of 42.42 lands him in 41st place on the list of "best batting averages by an Australian player in Test cricket" - 2 places above HIM sits Usman Khawaja. It's why the "Best since Bradman" tag for Steven Smith has felt so galling to me.

Modern conditions have tilted the contest between bat and ball to a point where it has become unfair. In a perverse manner, perhaps this is why the current Australian team has ended up "here".

@Keatoboy: I think David Warner is playing a very carefully considered and deliberate long game. He knows that now is not the time to launch, particularly if he wishes to return to the game. I can see why these type of things play out the way they do. It's what follows that will capture our interest. Brian Taylor on MMM just now: "It sounds insincere...and coached".

Last edited:
@The Mad Hatter: Mate, the numbers sadly tell only a very small part of the respective stories.

Consider the opening paragraph of Cricinfo's biography of Neil Harvey: "One of Australia's all-time favourite cricketing sons, Neil Harvey was a gifted left-hand batsman, brilliantly athletic fielder, and occasional offspin bowler. On account of the richness of his talents, he served Victoria, New South Wales and Australia with great distinction during a first-class career which spanned the 16-year period between 1946-47 and 1962-63."

Ian Chappell's Test average of 42.42 lands him in 41st place on the list of "best batting averages by an Australian player in Test cricket" - 2 places above HIM sits Usman Khawaja. It's why the "Best since Bradman" tag for Steven Smith has felt so galling to me.

Modern conditions have tilted the contest between bat and ball to a point where it has become unfair. In a perverse manner, perhaps this is why the current Australian team has ended up "here".

@Keatoboy: I think David Warner is playing a very carefully considered and deliberate long game. He knows that now is not the time to launch, particularly if he wishes to return to the game. I can see why these type of things play out the way they do. It's what follows that will capture our interest. Brian Taylor on MMM just now: "It sounds insincere...and coached".
100% agree with BT there. He should’ve just owned up and admitted his particular actions. Instead he kept apologising ‘for my role’ without actually acknowledging what he’d done. He also used ‘we’ a lot, sounded like he was implying that Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft had acted just as bad as him. Didn’t seem to want to accept that he was the ringleader.

100% agree with BT there. He should’ve just owned up and admitted his particular actions. Instead he kept apologising ‘for my role’ without actually acknowledging what he’d done. He also used ‘we’ a lot, sounded like he was implying that Steve Smith and Cameron Bancroft had acted just as bad as him. Didn’t seem to want to accept that he was the ringleader.

I don`t honestly think it would have mattered what Warner says he will always be the only person that should take the brunt of the criticism in most peoples eyes ... ...If Smith was a real leader he should have stopped it from going any where other than the change room or where ever it was decided ... There was no gun against his head saying you must go along with this ....They have all done the wrong thing and Smith and Warner should both be responsible for possibly destroying a promising cricketers career ( Bancroft )...

Yes Warner was the instigator and should be responsible for his actions but Smith is no better in my eyes for turning a blind eye to what was going to happen ...

Surely Smith , Warner , and Bancroft has enough common sense ( but obviously they didn`t )to know what implications were going to occur if they went through with it but they still all whet on and did it ....

The only person I really feel for is Bancroft being the new player trying to please the leaders of the group .....

upload_2018-3-31_12-45-32.png

@Matty76

RE Harvey and Warner

Exactly. Pure stars make them great but Warner's behaviours mark him in complete contrast too.

I have friends in management and PR for big companies and they're are critiquing the hell out all these pressers.

I think Bancrofts presser was the most sincere, no fake tears, just genuine disappointment. I feel sorry for Smith but I’ve now watched it a couple more times and jury is out on how sincere he is. With Smith and Warner, they appear to be very upset at times but I see no actual tears.

With Peter Siddle taking 6/45 off 16 for Dandenong in the Premier Firsts Grand Final at Junction today, surely he'd be in the spotlight for representative duties in the future...

Surely Smith , Warner , and Bancroft has enough common sense ( but obviously they didn`t )to know what implications were going to occur if they went through with it but they still all whet on and did it ....

I think they thought they knew what the implications were if caught.
1 match ban, accusations of cheating and some bad press but given the pressure and desire to win were happy to take the chance.
What they didnt expect was the response from the Aus media, public and CA.

I dont know what to make of Warners presser, no doubt he has used the time to seek legal advice and is doing everything by the book with a view to challenging CA decission.
I cant help thinking he is the only one of the trio who has resigned himself to not playing again for Aus and is looking at a way to salvage another 10 or so years playing the international T20 circuit.

A week on, what is everyone feeling about this awful mess, the Australian team....and the game of cricket generally?

Are you at the "denial", "anger", "bargaining", "depression" or "acceptance" stage?

Have your views changed completely since last Sunday?

Do you fear that the answer to "who knew what" will be too much to cope with?

For those of you that play, umpire or volunteer for cricket clubs: are you ready to pack it in altogether, or are you determined to be a standard-bearer for the way the game SHOULD be played?

Have you adopted the women's team as THE Australian team now?

To some, the above questions might be melodramatic - in defence, I merely submit approximately 28 years of devotion to what has essentially been a important hobby: following cricket.

I think they thought they knew what the implications were if caught.
1 match ban, accusations of cheating and some bad press but given the pressure and desire to win were happy to take the chance.
What they didnt expect was the response from the Aus media, public and CA.

I dont know what to make of Warners presser, no doubt he has used the time to seek legal advice and is doing everything by the book with a view to challenging CA decission.
I cant help thinking he is the only one of the trio who has resigned himself to not playing again for Aus and is looking at a way to salvage another 10 or so years playing the international T20 circuit.

I think that way the public is carrying on is a disgrace, convicted murderers cop less grief. Those weak twitter trolls throeingvout death threats and telling those involved to commit suicide should be criminally charged.

A week on, what is everyone feeling about this awful mess, the Australian team....and the game of cricket generally?

Are you at the "denial", "anger", "bargaining", "depression" or "acceptance" stage?

Have your views changed completely since last Sunday?

Do you fear that the answer to "who knew what" will be too much to cope with?

For those of you that play, umpire or volunteer for cricket clubs: are you ready to pack it in altogether, or are you determined to be a standard-bearer for the way the game SHOULD be played?

Have you adopted the women's team as THE Australian team now?

To some, the above questions might be melodramatic - in defence, I merely submit approximately 28 years of devotion to what has essentially been a important hobby: following cricket.

Life goes on and Crickets come and go ....I will still be umpiring with my kids later this year and taking them to there games ....I don`t see most sports people as role models as it is my job as a parent to teach them right and wrong not rely on others to point them in the right direction ....
Life is too short to hold grudges ..Like the quote from Star Wars that Yoda said ; Anger leads to Hate , Hate leads to Suffering ........I have been following the Womans Cricket for years and in my opinion it will only get better and faster with more and more interest ....

Like all sports with some sort of controversy they always bounce back ....While they are doing well they get viewers but when they are failing they don`t ...

I'm disappointed in the current. I'm excited by the future.

What will be will be. I'll still watch, play, coach and umpire. The media cycle will run its course. There are redemption stories to be had. Trolls will be trolls.

Back
Top Bottom