The Australian cricket non-official thread!

Matty76

Banned User
Real Name
Matt Gartside
eBay User
matt2009g
Hello!

The season is upon us, with the One Day 50-over Domestic competition starting today - no televised games until Monday though folks. GEM will be televising the competition this year again.

On the International front, Australia begin their campaign against Pakistan in the UAE on Monday. The tour consists of:

1 x T20
3 X ODI'S
2 X Tests

Coverage will be on Fox Sports.

Australia then play South Africa in Australia during November, consisting of:

3 x T2O's
5 x ODI'S

....then it's the big dance, Australia vs India in Australia, consisting of:

4 x Tests - on OUR pitches! reminds me of the Compare the Meerkat ad where Aleksandr says "mm hmm..bouncy!")

The Big Bash runs from the 18th of December to the 28th of January.

Following the Test matches is a Triangular ODI series between Australia, India and England, played in Australia over two weeks.

The World Cup - hosted by Australia and New Zealand - begins on February 14th.

Looking forward to an action-packed summer!! What are your thoughts/predictions/suggestions for the next few months?

I think team management will play a big part especially with the players who play tests and t20's and or the one dayers,Clarke and Johnson come to mind.
Peoples thoughts on Clarke just concentrating on the tests and worrying about the one dayers after the tests against India,which I think will be some good cricket played
Looking forward to the cricket season,a lot of cricket to watch

Should be a good cricket season.
Disappointed that GEM isn't covering all games.

I think Clarke should just focus on Tests.
In till the World Cup he is to crucial to lose going into a big tournament.

Johnson should only play Tests and ODI cricket for the near future.

Great win by NSW yesterday, 11 players unavailable and still came away with the win.

Showed great depth in the squad.

Looking forward to a big summer with plenty of domestic and international cricket. Already have thunder membership and tickets to the Sydney world cup games including the semi final :)

Hopefully Clarke can get himself fit and be a force this summer. Fingers crossed the same for Johnson and we see another summer of him terrorizing the visitors!

A fairly easy 6-wicket win for Australia overnight, restricting Pakistan to just 9/96 in their 20 overs. Given the success of Maxwell and debutant Cameron Boyce with the ball, it may have been a different story if Saeed Ajmal was playing. Then again, it is about time that the ICC did SOMETHING about illegal bowling actions.

I wonder how batsmen who have been dismissed by the likes of Ajmal and Narine would be feeling - you can't tell me that this sudden crackdown on bowling actions has nothing to do with the upcoming World Cup and the need for a "clean" tournament. Poor Ian Meckiff was made a scapegoat many years ago too.

NSW with their second four-wicket win for the season, beating Queensland today. It is great to have the cricket on GEM - currently a good game unfolding between the SA and Victoria. @Aiden225 - the Redbacks have a terrific opening bowling attack, if the Shield wickets give the fast bowlers a bit of assistance we might see a few sub-150 scores at the Adelaide Oval this season with Sayers and Putland wreaking havoc!

NSW with their second four-wicket win for the season, beating Queensland today. It is great to have the cricket on GEM - currently a good game unfolding between the SA and Victoria. @Aiden225 - the Redbacks have a terrific opening bowling attack, if the Shield wickets give the fast bowlers a bit of assistance we might see a few sub-150 scores at the Adelaide Oval this season with Sayers and Putland wreaking havoc!
And when Kane Richardson gets back should be a ripper of an attack.

Adelaide Strikers have one of the best bowling attacks in the Big Bash this year

Great win by the vics especially after there woeful batting display at the weekend
Cam white must be knocking on the door of the one-day team,great form last year in the Ryobi cup,started of this year in great form with Aus A and and the vics with that hundred last night and is more than useful In the field,and would add that little bit of experience

Some terrific reading in prospect this summer, thought I would give you a heads up on some of the offerings:

the-miracle-match.jpg

Out now - the story of the famous WA vs QLD Gillette Cup semi-final in 1976. Written by Ian Brayshaw (father of James Brayshaw).

cricket-as-i-see-it.jpg

Released on 1st November

kp.jpg

Released 9th October. From the extracts I have been reading in the newspaper, this is either a work of fiction or a damning portrait of English cricket. No-one is spared!

adam-gilchrist.jpg

Out now - a sort-of scrap-book type thing that charts Gilly's life from his young years to now. Looks really good!

Some terrific reading in prospect this summer, thought I would give you a heads up on some of the offerings:

the-miracle-match.jpg

Out now - the story of the famous WA vs QLD Gillette Cup semi-final in 1976. Written by Ian Brayshaw (father of James Brayshaw).

cricket-as-i-see-it.jpg

Released on 1st November

kp.jpg

Released 9th October. From the extracts I have been reading in the newspaper, this is either a work of fiction or a damning portrait of English cricket. No-one is spared!

adam-gilchrist.jpg

Out now - a sort-of scrap-book type thing that charts Gilly's life from his young years to now. Looks really good!
Should be some awesome reads there.

cheers for highlighting some books i didn't even know here gonna be released

Not a problem mate - I happened to see The Miracle Match one in the bookshop today and it got me thinking about the others that I had saved in wish lists/favourites etc.

The best cricket book I have ever read is "Captains on a See-saw" by Phil Tressider, about the 1968-69 West Indies tour of Australia. I see there are copies floating about on the internet, it is well worth the read.
seesaw.png

Not a problem mate - I happened to see The Miracle Match one in the bookshop today and it got me thinking about the others that I had saved in wish lists/favourites etc.

The best cricket book I have ever read is "Captains on a See-saw" by Phil Tressider, about the 1968-69 West Indies tour of Australia. I see there are copies floating about on the internet, it is well worth the read.
seesaw.png
Might grab a copy.
I'll definitely remember that when I'm looking for a good cricket read

For the stats minded Cricket types who like a yearbook of the previous summer, Australian Cricket Digest has just released their 3rd edition covering the 2014/15 summer including The Ashes and the tour of South Africa.

I have all 3 editions, it's a privately published work that takes a lot of dedication to put together and you can order it through Facebook via Australian Cricket Digest.

https://www.facebook.com/AustralianCricketDigest

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 3.41.30 PM.png

@Brendan_B - have you heard Ryan Harris in the commentary box this summer? He doesn't pull any punches and has been really good to listen to. I have never been to a Test match, it is on my bucket list!

@Aiden225 plus everyone else.....I am about halfway through "The Miracle Match"- it is brilliantly well-written. I never realised that Ian Brayshaw actually played in that game. He includes brief "player profiles" in between discussing the match and they are fantastic.

I actually like George Bailey for the same reason. Speaks his mind, is articulate and grounded. Will make a great commentator and would be a handy addition to the box when the oldies are chuffed off and they realise no one really wants the clowns either.

I thought Ryan Harris has been great in the commentary box.
I think for competitions like the matador one day cup it's good to get commentators like Harris covering the games.
Hopefully Channel Ten catch on and get some players in there during there coverage of The Big Bash

I havent heard Harris in the commentary box yet but from the few interviews I have seen he is a straight shooter and just tells it how it is. I really hope his fitness last for the Aussie summer, World Cup and return Ashes, wonderful cricketer in every aspect

Back
Top Bottom