The 3 best you have seen, and why!

Matty76

Banned User
Real Name
Matt Gartside
eBay User
matt2009g
Hi all

I suppose we have a lot of young 'uns, old 'uns and those of us somewhere in between on this forum.....my own footy watching memories go back to 1989, for instance.

I have not seen this type of thread covered here (well since I joined last year, anyway:p), so I simply ask: who are the 3 best AFL/VFL players you have seen (in no particular order), and why?

I guess I may as well kick things off :) :

Gary Ablett Senior - the most exciting, mesmerising footballer of any code that I have ever followed. From the 1989 Grand Final (and that goal from the ruck tap in the 2nd quarter), to the 14.7 against Essendon in 1993, and his '93-'94 seasons in general, the bloke was a one-man highlights package.

Robert Harvey - for 21 seasons, Robert Harvey ran, and ran, and ran. He won back-to-back Brownlow Medals, 4 Best and Fariests and was an All-Australian on 8 occasions. He was an unscrupulously fair player, controversy-free, modest and polite. Although team success eluded him, Harvey is amongst the most decorated players in the game.

Wayne Carey - admittedly I begrudgingly include Carey (mostly because of what he used to do to Hawthorn:mad:), but I find it impossible NOT to include him. From his first Friday night break-out game against Essendon in 1993 (North fans would often take a "Careeeey - AGAIN" sign to games, in honour of Bruce McAvaney's famous call from the match), to his 1994 finals heroics and 10 goal haul against the Bombers in 1999 (including an incredible left foot check-side goal), there wasn't a real lot the bloke couldn't do.

Back
Top Bottom