Team set collections

Sports Nut

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Michael
eBay User
slicky-micky
With a lot of collectors moving from full set collections to single team collections I was wondering does a team collection just constitute the cards in their team colours, or does State of Origin and Australian Representative cards form part of that collection.

Just interested what everyone does. I can see arguments to both sides.

Having only recently started putting together a Manly only team set collection, if it's not Maroon and White, it's not in (OK, those stupid Yellow Wolverine ones may have to count if there were any!).

I know some team collectors expand their collection based on players (ie including cards in pre-/post- their main teams colours) and or add in the rep cards.

For me, SOO and Australian cards would make nice stand-alone subsets. The Australian colours one would be expensive though, as a lot (certainly not all) of the 1963/64 cards were in Australian colours, plus you'd be looking at hard to find pre-Scanlens cards (eg from Cigarette packs).

I collect cards of the Roosters, I don't bother getting cards of the players in their rep teams, except for one of Freddy which celebrated his 10/10 game in an international even though the card/game was the year before he switched to Easts. Mostly it's just the base team set of Commons and some inserts depending on the price

My collection has change over the years with scanlens Dynamic Select and now TLA. While I still get a full base set I now only complete my so called team maters set and occasionally an insert set if I like the design.
Price and sheer size of releases have forced this change. That and 1/1 cards make it very difficult.
All in all the product just keeps getting better each release 👍

With a lot of collectors moving from full set collections to single team collections I was wondering does a team collection just constitute the cards in their team colours, or does State of Origin and Australian Representative cards form part of that collection.

Just interested what everyone does. I can see arguments to both sides.

For me it's simple. If they played for the dragons in the year of the release it's a card I need / want for my PC this, would even extend to those awful looking QLD cards.

I have even heard of people collecting Scanlens cards for their PC if there was one of their teams players in the background or making the tackle.

Cheers
Ross

same as Ross. collect all rep cards if they play for the Dragons at that time. Also have a few cards with Dragons players in the background
(eg.1978 #25 John King with Schulman. Goodwin and Finch in the background). Like most others I can no longer consider master sets so I've gone off on a tangent and am now collecting cards for the top 100 + hall of fame players + future inductees (my opinion only)

same as Ross. collect all rep cards if they play for the Dragons at that time. Also have a few cards with Dragons players in the background
(eg.1978 #25 John King with Schulman. Goodwin and Finch in the background). Like most others I can no longer consider master sets so I've gone off on a tangent and am now collecting cards for the top 100 + hall of fame players + future inductees (my opinion only)
What about Paul Gallen cards? lol

For team collectors where do you draw the line with the retirement cards?
A player has my teams jersey on but another teams logo is on the card.
I want to put it in my collection because he played for my team and has the teams jersey on, but I don't want a card with another teams logo on it.......

Back
Top Bottom