Suggestions for a card shop in Sydney

Most important factor for a customer of a card store in Sydney?

• Location, being situated within the Sydney CBD?

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Prices and variety?

Votes: 52 72.2%
  • Close to public transport facilities?

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Availability of nearby parking?

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Expertise and quality of service?

Votes: 9 12.5%

• Total voters
Perhaps have cards as the focus but suppliment the venture with a secondary cash flow....like a cafe or ????

Good luck

Ross

Super idea if you know how to make coffee!! If not I could give you a training session lol. Or internet access? that's another option.

with all these card shops opening another one might open up in coffs harbour :lol:

i remember when i came up here for holidays many many many moons ago and there was a lil one tucked away in a corner, memories of the shop entry window full of ultra pro pages of inserts with prices

Hi all, thanks for reading.
Just trying to see what are the most important factors are for potential customers of a dedicated card shop in Sydney. Is it the location of the store, the price of its products, the service and expertise, the proximity to public transport, availability of nearby parking facilities, etc etc.
Does it have to be located in the Sydney CBD? Let me know your thoughts, even if you don't live near or around Sydney.
Actually i forgot to mention about trading hours as well, long trading hours from 9am-7pm?

Good prices are a given. If there aren't good prices you can expect little sales all round, regardless of a top location etc.

so taking that out of the equation,

location and trading hours will be linked.

if you have a very convenient location, close to public transport, walking distance from places heavily populated by people, then your trading hours can be less.

however if it's out of the way for people to get to, your trading hours better be long otherwise you'll see very little customers.

Hi all, thanks for reading.
Just trying to see what are the most important factors are for potential customers of a dedicated card shop in Sydney. Is it the location of the store, the price of its products, the service and expertise, the proximity to public transport, availability of nearby parking facilities, etc etc.
Does it have to be located in the Sydney CBD? Let me know your thoughts, even if you don't live near or around Sydney.
Actually i forgot to mention about trading hours as well, long trading hours from 9am-7pm?

Gary, Make sure its in the Parramatta-Blacktown area! :thumbsup:

I'd say it would be a combination of all of the above. Quality of service, prices, product range, location. Whatever happens, best of luck with it man. :)

Try and get it done before mid October, I'll be in Sydney for a few days. ;)

hahahha we spoke about this at the card show....Blackjack and poker! lol

Nah really sydney is accessible to all, you wont make everybody happy with location, if you have it in the west the city people would have to travel and vice versa.....

And if your prices are reasonable i dont think people will mind travelling.....It will save on postage costs and hassles....plus a place for us card collectors to actually visit and meet up besides just the show would benefit us all!

But then again coz some of us are older and can drive I understand the point of the younger collectors needing public transport or mummy to drive them to the shop....

Maybe get a demographic of how many card collectors are on this board that actually live in Sydney, then you can see your potential client list.....

Near public transport
Free convenient parking
Not early mornings during the week, but definately Saturday morning - i'd imagine that would be your biggest day ?
Maybe till 6 during the week with a late night till 9 - maybe Thursday to match in with late night shopping.
That would be my thoughts ...

All have been great ideas! and this is also really good info as I'm in the works at the moment to open up a shop up here somewhere on the Gold Coast!!!

Location I think is a major key! Make sure its available easily via public transport! And also decent parking available!!!

I'd also say try stay away from the City area as rent would be much cheaper away from it and I know collectors and hobbyists wouldn't mind heading a little bit to get boxes!!!!!

And like Cal said, don't worry about beating ebay prices etc too much, as I'd pay the extra little bit for sure to be able to bust right then and there!!!

Good luck mate!!! Sounds great!!! Gonna be awesome with lots of new stores on the way!!! The way the hobby was back in the 90's!!! haha

I suggest Parramatta, Blacktown, Eastwood or Penrith. There seems to be a huge asian population in those area's and i know for a fact there's a high lot of hobby shops in those area's eg. Phanton Zone, Magic, Comic stores,DPlayground etc but none of those sell sports cards.So that'll guarantee a established market to work on and pitch your products.

Penrith wahoooo.....:woot:

trading hours:

Monday 10am - 6:30pm
Tuesday 10am - 6:30pm
wensday 10am - 6:30pm
Thursday 12am - 9:00pm
friday 10am - 6:30pm
saturday 8am - 1:00pm (saturday swapmeet in penrith high st attracts a fair collecting crowd )
Sunday your choice :p

Price is a must i would rather wait 4 days from DACW than pay a $60 premium over there prices.......

Penriths close to both train transport and buses..........

I beleive leases arnt that expensive in penrith compared to surrounding respectable suburbs........

Thats my two sents........

If you need help setting up around here m8 give me bell i will lend a hand...:thumbsup:

I want the 1st job :thumbsup:.

Rent will be your biggest concern. I work in Parra and other than Westfields there are heaps of vacant shops on the street level - i think this is due to metered parking on the streets (dopey council). This has just pushed everyone into Westfields for free 3 hr parking.

I visited the warhammer shop in parra which is next to phantom zone, da play ground and they are much happier out of westfields and have regular game meets. I think near there would be a good spot as you could attract comic/sci fi customers from Phantom zone, CCG collectors from the warhammer shop etc.
There is a paid parking station across the road as well.

Also if u need an investor lmk :thumbsup:

Sounds like your brainstorming Gary & it sounds good, rent is always going to be a killer in Sydney but somewhere like Parramatta would be great. There have been alot of great ideas so far. I think you would have to be prepared to operate at a loss to start off with or just break out even to establish a strong customer base then just reel 'em in. Good Luck if you do go ahead with something.

I think these trading hours would be more realistic

Weekdays:
9am-5.30pm mon,tue,wed, fri
9am-8pm thurs

Weekends
10am-3pm sat
10am-2pm sun or closed

If you want a store in the CBD prepare to become bankrupt like cardshaq! I recommend a place like Campbelltown. We use to have plenty of losers breaking boxes down here. I would love to see a shop again, I miss the good ol days.:thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom