Speculators and AFL cards (ABC News)

Interesting. cheers for the heads up. They also had a digital card thing on the news awhile ago.
Change in the wind again it seems.

Seems a year or so out of the loop.

Imagine if it was the same as the US with boxes of 4 packs going for $500.

Select clearly catering to the speculator/high end collector market. Maybe they could just do one release with a huge run so the kids have something to get their hands on, or something with no inserts.

Seems a year or so out of the loop.

Imagine if it was the same as the US with boxes of 4 packs going for $500.

Select clearly catering to the speculator/high end collector market. Maybe they could just do one release with a huge run so the kids have something to get their hands on, or something with no inserts.

Yeah it was mentioned on Facebook that a good idea would be to pull the big numbered hits out of Footy Stars so the serious collectors with big dollars and the million breakers aren’t all that interested. Leave it more for the kids. I personally love the idea. 2-3 releases for the serious collector per year is plenty.

Yeah it was mentioned on Facebook that a good idea would be to pull the big numbered hits out of Footy Stars so the serious collectors with big dollars and the million breakers aren’t all that interested. Leave it more for the kids. I personally love the idea. 2-3 releases for the serious collector per year is plenty.

That would be a horrible idea, you would then go back to the days of the champions releases which no one wanted, the amount of kids interested hasn’t really changed much, the only reason the footy stars is successful is because they have tweaked the product to make it interesting for a variety of consumers.

That would be a horrible idea, you would then go back to the days of the champions releases which no one wanted, the amount of kids interested hasn’t really changed much, the only reason the footy stars is successful is because they have tweaked the product to make it interesting for a variety of consumers.
There's also been a global shift in the hobby card market.

Like most things in economics there's no doubt a sweet spot. 1 release a year that doesn't attract people who buy up boxes to scalp them later would be a good thing for the longevity of the hobby I think, don't want a generation of future collectors being priced out from an early age. I certainly wouldn't still be engaging with the hobby if I didn't have all that worthless junk wax to enjoy as a kid.

Having said that I don't know how many kids are missing out on Footy Stars and Team Coach, there is certainly a Helen Lovejoy angle as well.

Imo it’s a good and bad thing. There is a tonne of interest but the kids miss out. Needs to be a balance for serious 1 and team coach. But without the higher end cards these 2 series won’t sell as fast and the card companies would probably not prefer this. The card collecting game has changed here we are normally a bit further behind the US with such things. Won’t be long imo until we have one of ones

yep catch 22.. I want high end and rare cards to chase - it brings personal satisfaction to own, and monetary value to trade if you want to - but that brings the speculators which brings scarcity and even more inflation. I am not sure that you can have the former without the latter coming?

I like the idea a lot of mass print serious so that newsagents are never without packs. You can't remove all chase elements though, as where is the fun? That was what brought me into basketball early 90's - Jordan inserts..

So, value add post this one - having it both ways ;)

Completely disagree.

Fact of the matter is that kids just want to get their hands on packets of footy cards, open them with their mates, make videos if they are old enough and enjoy collecting. Much like we all did when we were kids.

That is true with the kids but even they look for the inserts now it seems. But yes the kids need to be able to get their hands on them . Its not like the old days though when I bought Scanlens cards played flicks , shoved them in my pocket and drew on them. When kids get their cards now they put them in folders , generally take better care of them and highlight the insert cards. I am not sure we will ever have sets without some type of insert card.

Yeah well said ..every kid that prefers cards to tablets games and tiktok is another saved.
And it won't be many..
otherwise it looks like digital cards and speculators change the landscape.
Kids buying into their 20's is the key. The average age of a collector is closer to mid 40's now.
We are all getting older. In 15 -20 years a mass sale of scanlens and select will begin as this generation retires.
Probably good and bad at the same time..more cards on the market but how many will be able to afford them?

Yes , the landscape has changed . Is it better, not sure. I still think the greatest memory, even now, are opening my first pack of Scanlens in 1978 and then the 1979 set . I think kids when they start will collect differently . Now that cards have value, which they didn't have when I grew up , their parents will help them to some extent look after them and even maybe sell them.

Almost the reverse mentality we had. the impression that our cards would be worth money "one day".
Now we were right but even if they turned out to be worthless I still had fun making up my sets..
wouldnt' have changed a thing. I lost so many toys that are worth $ now..
1986 and 1987 were my first forays into the vfl card world. So different then.
Now we get ex-partners parents and family of collectors clawing like crows with no love for the
hobby and just out to get $$. No wonder so many of us want to get our trade cards into the hands of real collectors
to avoid this practice happening and to ease the financial confusion on us in later life.

Its funny , because many of my clients know I collect cards, and when they tell me their kids or they used to have cards and I tell them some of their value they get very interested all of a sudden lol

Yeah. Its like we are often conflicted and divided in the need to educate and assist in values and collecting from people
who we will never see again who go away and make money based on our advice.
And also the perfectly reasonable situation of buying the values people ask due to our
almost endless years and years of thankless grind.

I often feel for my mate who does the first when he probably should have done the second.
I guess its meant to even out. I like doing want lists and giving bonuses but haven't bought a collection
for many years. Values have changed up and down so much its hard to know what to offer.
But one day very soon I feel we will all be consultants in a niche that others do not understand.
and that includes ebay knowledge,online banking,negotiating and price knowledge, and people will be obligated to
pay for those years of knowledge and experience and thats probably fair.
In the meantime I help others as much as possible.

I have no issue with the speculators as the hobby will grow due to demand , but as I said the card industry has changed probably forever now. It was only a matter of time. I still collect every team and would call myself a set collector , but rarely finish any insert set nowadays as there are so many. The market is getting saturated though and values will not stay high forever. There will always be the odd set or cards that will demand some high prices of course. I also think in time just like the US market having cards assessed for condition will come into vogue it will just take a while before it is common practice for AFL cards.

Agree largely with one caveat .. the age of the set collector is evolving.. Collectors who have a fetish for
one player and stockpiling as many as they can get of only them from each series will also change things
making the set collector job very difficult and almost obsolete..

To your second point. if they want to get grading accepted they must definitely consider the following essential changes:

- Form more agents to intake cards in each state.
- Bring in a bulk number grading price to make it affordable.
- Stick with 10 and not 100 across the board for Australia to bring us into line with global standards.
- Shorten the turnaround times.
- Decline meaningless commons that are not at least :
Base rookies or even star parallels.
They have a shared responsibility for these stupid listings we all see.
I'd like to see a standard of what can be graded as well as a consistent universal expectation of grades given.
In terms of series: 1988-1991 Stimorol/Teamcoach would be a nightmare with the rounded corners,warping and foil flaking
so Select inserts and 1963-1987 Scanlens EX+ really suit grading so much better.

Last edited:
Yes people definately collect differently now . I have never used a grading company before, but I do think overtime this will increase.

Back
Top Bottom