Sonny fai missing - presumed drowned

freeballs

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Craig
Very sad news about this up and comer from the Warriors.

Rising New Zealand Warriors star Sonny Fai is missing, presumed drowned, at Bethells Beach, West Auckland.

His agent Frank Endacott said he understood the 20-year-old Fai had just completed a training run on the beach and had gone to cool off in the surf with three others yesterday evening.

''What we’ve heard is the four of them were going for a training run down the beach", he said.

"... they went into the surf for a dip, to cool off ... that’s where they got into trouble.

''It sounds like they've got caught in some sort of current, or rip.

''It's not looking good for Sonny Fai, not looking good at all.''

He said while rescuers managed to pull the three other men from the surf, Fai was not among them.

Very sad story and not good news for NZRL or rugby league as a whole to lose one of their rising stars.

The news in Sydney said that he disappeared while saving his younger brother from a rip.

Sad to hear that... :(

On the same issue I had 3 years ago,,, I thought I would drown when I went to save my 13yr old nephew getting carried away by the wave... I had my first trip back to the beach last weekend and there's still some recollection of that incident in my head...

Damn, just read about this myself. I hope by some miracle he turns up alive, but if not, RIP Sonny. And it's a sad enough story, but drowning while saving his brother makes it even sadder. A similar thing happened to me at Stradbroke Island, at (appropriately named, it seems... :p ) Deadman's Beach. I was swimming with my brothers and a few friends when my sisters boyfriend on his boogie board paddled out through a rip which we knew was strong but he didn't. So me and one of my brothers started calling him to get out of the water. He couldn't hear us, so we swam out past the rip and tried explaining to him what rips were. He finally got the idea, so paddled in to shore. Meanwhile me and my brother had to go in through the rip again, and the second time it got too much for us. we were in the water only about 20 minutes after my sis's b/f paddled in, but it seemed like an eternity. We were getting dragged pretty badly, and neigher of us knew rips wer cyclical, so kept trying to fight through. By the time we did, we were surrounded by rocks. We both got washed up on the rocks, my brother on the second attempt, me on the third, cut up pretty badly. Still got scars up both arms and legs from it. One of my mates got taken out at the North Gorge on Straddie, he was in the water over 4 hours. But he was a surfer so knew just to let it take him and it'd come back in eventually. Scary as hell for those watching from shore, but.

Back
Top Bottom