Motor Sport Sir Jack Brabham

The Mad Hatter

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Chris
Sir Jack Brabham, arguably Australia's best ever motor driver, has passed away at 88.

A rarity in the F1 industry, Sir Jack designed, constructed and drove his own car to the F1 championship in 1966. He was the F1 Champion three times - in 1959, 1960 and 1966 - whilst being 2nd in 1967 and 5th in 1970.

A giant of the industry as well another of the true gentleman of sport, Sir Jack's legacy is one all Australians should admire and his 'can do' Aussie attitude is something to be applauded, showing that if you believe hard enough, if you work hard enough and don't settle for 2nd place, then you will succeed.

His achievements are likely to never be replicated.

I remember reading a story about him being let in after hours at the Citreon factory in France prior to a race so he could fabricate his own gearbox casings because the ones that had shipped over were incompatible with his engine.

Different world now, can't see Vettel or Alonso getting their hands that dirty.

I know nothing about engines and very little about driving. I just like sport and sporting endeavours/achievements and the romance of it all. But growing up with family/friends/mates who do like racing, Sir Jack was a respected individual. And yes, to see him design, build AND race…I don't think it will ever happen again.

definitely in Sir Jacks case, legend falls short in describing him.

first race driver ever to be knighted as well for some extra trivia too.

As an avid f1 fan, i've recently been watching and reading up on his period. They were a special breed back in those years.

Don't think he was really recognised in Australia for the huge achievements he accomplished.

One of the biggest names in F1. May it live on in his sons and grandsons who are following his very large footsteps

RIP

Back
Top Bottom