Shipping Insurance

DCL

OzCardTrader
Real Name
David
I had a chat with one of the AustPost staff about the shipping insurance for lost or damaged goods and they mentioned the insurance claim is covered if you have the receipt for the purchased item ONLY. What if your card has increased in value over time or you pulled an expensive card from a pack? I did ask if I can use eBay COMP to value my item and the answer was a NO. What is the point of having shipping insurance on your item if you can't claim it?

I'm not sure if this is the same case for other delivery companies? e.g. DHL or Fedex.

What is the best way to ship your card/s that do not have a receipt of purchase and be covered?

I must say what youre asking for is a little unteasonable. Ive had dozens of refunds from aus post over the years and all processed within 24hrs. And that just the free $100 coverage.

i guess the question is;

if you bought/posted a $10k lebron rc, and it got lost, but yesterday someone got a steal buying that card for $6k, would you allow Aus post to only pay you the $6k compensation?

I can see why youre frustrated but think rationally on this one.

I must say what youre asking for is a little unteasonable. Ive had dozens of refunds from aus post over the years and all processed within 24hrs. And that just the free $100 coverage.

i guess the question is;

if you bought/posted a $10k lebron rc, and it got lost, but yesterday someone got a steal buying that card for $6k, would you allow Aus post to only pay you the $6k compensation?

I can see why youre frustrated but think rationally on this one.
I don't think my question is unreasonable, I assume that what you meant. This could be a thread that may be useful for anyone who is planning to ship (e.g. grading) or sell their card (I haven't had any lost/damaged/sold item) using AustPost.
As my OP stated, I did ask one of the AustPost staff how the insurance claim works, and the answer was you need "proof of purchase" and "eBay Comp doesn't work", therefore, this wouldn't help for pack pulled card or a modern/vintage (increased value) card that wasn't purchased (with an invoice) so I assume.
This thread was created so that we can be educated for any lost/damaged goods during shipping for future reference.

I do not have experience with AustPost or any other delivery companies with regard to their insurance policy but the information that was given by the staff.

It is great you have experiences with AustPost and would you give us details on how you can claim it? What do you need to provide?

Btw, I'm not frustrated ;) - just would like to be educated about this particular situation.

I should have stated it was a general enquiry to the AustPost staff:) and "extra" insurance was applied not the free $100 coverage - I assume all insurances go through the same process for claim?!

Last edited:
My understanding is that most postal services don’t cover trading cards. I am getting a bundle sent from the states and FedEx/UPS etc won’t touch it. Had to go through an external insurance company while following their strict guidelines for packaging, recording and labelling.
you lose a 10k card there is no way Aust post will refund you for it. Can you imagine how easy it is to “lose” a basketball card?

Reactions: DCL
Back
Top Bottom