Shane Warne Dead

Very sad news and he lived one hell of a life!

The greatest Leg Spin bowler ever.

Have to say there was nothing better than in the early/mid 90's switching on the TV after dinner in summer to watch a one dayer live from from the SCG or MCG and knowing at about the 15-20 over mark Warney would come on and something exciting would happen. There was this sense of anticipation that the game was about to get exciting.

Then the next day you would be down the nets trying to replicate what you saw him do with the ball.

As a Kiwi who is no fan of the Aussie cricket teams of the last 35 years, Shane Warne is the best player of my generation for me. Incredible control for a wrist spinner, brilliant variations, prodigious spin, the bowler of miracle balls. Also a huge cricket IQ that people forget when they see the low IQ stuff he has done off the field.

Sonny Ramadhin who is also one of the games best ever spinners passed away this week too.

Last edited:
As a Kiwi who is no fan of the Aussie cricket teams of the last 35 years, Shane Warne is the best player of my generation for me. Incredible control for a wrist spinner, brilliant variations, prodigious spin, the bowler of miracle balls. Also a huge cricket IQ that people forget when they see the low IQ stuff he has done off the field.

Sonny Ramadhin who is also one of the games best ever spinners passed away this week too.
Daniel. I have heard from many of the past day just how much time and money Shame gave to disadvantaged - all on the quiet - for me that forgives all the low IQ stuff - to err is human to forgive is divine - vale the greatest spin bowler ever, best cricketer never to captain Australia

Shattered and stunned. I grew up watching the West Indies dominate Australia in the early 1980's so I'm familiar with Marsh, Lillee etc. but Warnie was my favourite Australian cricketer by a long shot. He got me back into watching Test cricket after I stopped watching it as a teenager. I watched THAT ball live and I remember thinking what the f...k was that? Like everyone else, especially Gatting.
Seeing Warne bowl on the 5th day of a Test match was a good as it got and I'm certain that there will never be another leg spinner anywhere near as good as he was. After Bradman he's our best cricketer.

I can't believe he's gone. And as someone who lost my only brother to a heart attack 15 years ago I have some sense of what his family will be enduring. Shock, disbelief and sadness beyond anything imagineable.

Vale Warnie. Truly an Aussie legend in every sense of the word.

Shattered and stunned. I grew up watching the West Indies dominate Australia in the early 1980's so I'm familiar with Marsh, Lillee etc. but Warnie was my favourite Australian cricketer by a long shot. He got me back into watching Test cricket after I stopped watching it as a teenager. I watched THAT ball live and I remember thinking what the f...k was that? Like everyone else, especially Gatting.
Seeing Warne bowl on the 5th day of a Test match was a good as it got and I'm certain that there will never be another leg spinner anywhere near as good as he was. After Bradman he's our best cricketer.

I can't believe he's gone. And as someone who lost my only brother to a heart attack 15 years ago I have some sense of what his family will be enduring. Shock, disbelief and sadness beyond anything imagineable.

Vale Warnie. Truly an Aussie legend in every sense of the word.
outstanding commentary however I could not split Lillee (best fast bowler), Warne (best spin bowler) Tendukar (best Bat since Bradman) and Kallis (best all rounder with an honourable mention to R.Hadlee). Me my first test was tied test in 60/61 at SCG.

Just listening to some podcasts today found a really cool one -

The Howie Games
w Mark Howard

Goes through a lot of the usual stuff about career, heard most before but there's a few interesting bits in the 2 part convo then there's also a 2 part tribute I've yet to listen to and it could be actually just a re-post of the first 2 ep not sure yet

Back
Top Bottom