Select Supremacy Thread (now with Afterpay)

Matt26

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Matt
Hi everyone,

Seems in anticipation of this release Select have set up AfterPay so people can pay it off over a longer period of time?

1565481218759.png

Are they starting to worry about the proposed initial outlay for "collectors"? Its strange that this is the case as they have always said they wouldn't do "AfterPay".

Even so, say you do spend $3000 on a case (over 4 fortnights) you get the case and its not the best......how will people feel about then having a $750 hit for the next 8 weeks for something that they weren't overly impressed with.

This will also suck any money out of the secondary market as these collectors are then committed to paying this off and are limited in buying back into the release cause they are already committed?

Interesting times ahead!

Here is a reminder of one of the initial signings.

1565481901199.png

Last edited:
Oh my AfterPay now of all times, that seems coincidental doesn’t it.

I thought Grant was against this.

From what has been previously posted, yes Select was against this because they didn't want people getting into credit issues due to card releases ..... until they had an expensive product to sell and are getting worried that they have overcooked the price and it wont sell.

In comes Afterpay to the rescue.

When is this release supposed to be coming out anyone know? As for Afterpay I use it and don’t mind it but geez you wouldn’t wanna get into debt over some cardboard, pretty sure you can only do a max of $500 anyway when you start out on it so no one can spend $3k on a case with Afterpay anyway

You know what's even funnier..... CrapNplay have afterpay too ahahahahaha who wants to afterpay their crap? Or maybe it's for patch cards, signature cards, same numbered cards and full sets they flog off under the table.

In all honesty the AFL card collecting market is looking dead..... prices have tanked with the new Select release, Regal are floggin some more crap and with a photo shoot worn used material card (wtf is the point of that?), there's one mob going around with a scanlens logo making cards (they can't even get the centering right) that look like they've outsourced the design to a 7 yr old.

The only one actually doing favours for the AFL card collecting community is JaJa's / Harv Time cards!

The other thing to think about too is say you Afterpay a few boxes that you wouldn’t normally be able to afford, pull cards you don’t really want, good or bad, then still have fortnightly payments to make so dump on eBay or forums to help pay the Afterpay payments. Back to square one with cards being dumped within days of release. I like Afterpay and use it, but weird find it weird Select didn’t want to use it due to not wanting to contribute to collectors debt, but then see it could dig them out of trouble so all of a sudden it’s available.

On that card doco, Grant Copley, said that he knows of people living off canned tuna so they can afford to buy cards? Paying bills late and so on? If he knows that people are doing extreme things such as this, why would you introduce afterpay? He's just praying on the weak as he knows first hand how addicted people are with cards and he still wants them to buy more?

No ethics at all and people say Steven Wang is bad................

Select should clearly highlight on their websites the risks of using afterpay including potential fees, credit rating risk and possibility of debt collectors. It might help those who can't afford to repay think twice and avoid dumping stock at discount & selling off collections to meet repayments, even returning stock claiming damage. Hopefully the majority who use it are sensible.

Here's a link. Not sure if admin will allow it to stay up.

https://legalvision.com.au/risks-of-afterpay/

I hate when people talk about Afterpay, blaming afterpay itself or the businesses for customers not being able to afford the sh*t that they're buying on there. I just wish people could take more responsibility for their purchases; if people get in debt because of Afterpay, without trying to be rude, they have little sympathy from me.

On that card doco, Grant Copley, said that he knows of people living off canned tuna so they can afford to buy cards? Paying bills late and so on? If he knows that people are doing extreme things such as this, why would you introduce afterpay? He's just praying on the weak as he knows first hand how addicted people are with cards and he still wants them to buy more?

No ethics at all and people say Steven Wang is bad................
Because it's not Grant Copley's fault. If you live off of canned tuna because you buy cards, is that your fault or the card company's fault?

When 2003-04 Exquisite basketball was released the price of a box increased markedly from previous sets to $500 each and a lot of people had a whinge about the expensive price. Still to this day its one of the best releases in the hobby for any sport globally and the values are astronomical and still increasing. If Select can get the ratio of hits per box correct for the $500 price tag, and introduce some sick patch sigs for past and presents champions of the game, then this release has the potential to be the turning point for this hobby in Australia.

When 2003-04 Exquisite basketball was released the price of a box increased markedly from previous sets to $500 each and a lot of people had a whinge about the expensive price. Still to this day its one of the best releases in the hobby for any sport globally and the values are astronomical and still increasing. If Select can get the ratio of hits per box correct for the $500 price tag, and introduce some sick patch sigs for past and presents champions of the game, then this release has the potential to be the turning point for this hobby in Australia.
It's select, my expectations are still kinda low (they've increased in the last couple of years though), but yes that would be incredible.
2003-04 Exquisite is one of the best card sets ever released for sure; something like that for AFL would be incredible

Need to wait and see the checklist, but would be awesome if it included match worn logo patch (AFL or team) sigs of some of the icons, e.g. Ablett, Skilton, Lockett, Matthews etc.

It's select, my expectations are still kinda low (they've increased in the last couple of years though), but yes that would be incredible.
2003-04 Exquisite is one of the best card sets ever released for sure; something like that for AFL would be incredible

Yes Exquisite 2003/04 was a landmark release.

This was also helped by the large international market which bought up all these cards (after initial scepticism), and then when UD lost the licence the prices went through the roof due to demand for high end Jordan/Bron autos.

This release was also helped by a rookie player named Lebron helping drive this market.

In this case of supremacy we have a very small local market (id imagine a number much MUCH less than 1% of the total worldwide market) and for AFL we don't have a huge influx of collectors from the USA or Asia dropping tens of thousands of dollars that will help drive any types of these releases.

Will there be some nice cards in this release? Probably? But its going to take a lot of expensive group breaks and a lot of after pay sales to move much of this product.

So liquor stores shouldn’t be allowed to operate because a minority of customers are alcoholics??

So just because a minority of collectors cant control their budgeting the rest of the hobby should suffer.

Not sure you are making the point you think you are.

Minority? Not sure where you live but majority of Australian's have a drinking problem, like it or not. I don't believe you have a understanding of how addiction works.

Plus wouldn't be hard for you to budget for Port cards, what's it set you back each year? 50 bux?

Minority? Not sure where you live but majority of Australian's have a drinking problem, like it or not. I don't believe you have a understanding of how addiction works.

Plus wouldn't be hard for you to budget for Port cards, what's it set you back each year? 50 bux?

Nice try mate, but don’t support Port, just picked up the Wines logo patch sig cause I liked the card, and the game worn sig set, and don’t mind him as a player. Although might be hard for you to fathom that not all afl card collectors only collect one team. Trust me I know first hand how addiction works! And also I don’t think the majority of Australians have a drinking problem, bit insulting. Seems you are a bit off the mark tonight??

Yes Exquisite 2003/04 was a landmark release.

This was also helped by the large international market which bought up all these cards (after initial scepticism), and then when UD lost the licence the prices went through the roof due to demand for high end Jordan/Bron autos.

This release was also helped by a rookie player named Lebron helping drive this market.

In this case of supremacy we have a very small local market (id imagine a number much MUCH less than 1% of the total worldwide market) and for AFL we don't have a huge influx of collectors from the USA or Asia dropping tens of thousands of dollars that will help drive any types of these releases.

Will there be some nice cards in this release? Probably? But its going to take a lot of expensive group breaks and a lot of after pay sales to move much of this product.

Very valid points mate, and was no way suggesting that select would ever come close to it. My point was that Exquisite had a similar jump in price and was packed full of amazing patches and sigs, so it was a turning point for high end sets at the time. My point is that the upcoming release could be the turning point for the afl hobby if it has the right high end content, and no doubt the afl card market could use it at the moment?! Hope Select get it right!!

Back
Top Bottom