Select 'Retirement' Set

Tazhawk

OzCardTrader
Real Name
David
Hi guys,

Just saw on their FB site Select are issuing a set of retiring players starting next week. Same release format as Hilites by the looks.

WOW. Grant must have an overseas holiday planned. They are milking everything they can out of it this year.

I was hoping the last Hilites card was going to be Hodge getting chaired off the ground, not looking likely now. If Hawks have a stinker tomorrow night we might be the only team to not get a card. I'd be devastated as I've been buying them all.

I was hoping the last Hilites card was going to be Hodge getting chaired off the ground, not looking likely now. If Hawks have a stinker tomorrow night we might be the only team to not get a card. I'd be devastated as I've been buying them all.

Highlights/Hilites (whatever) cards look garbage. Just a basic common card being charged at $15 plus postage.

Not sure why you you'd get mad at that.

Highlights/Hilites (whatever) cards look garbage. Just a basic common card being charged at $15 plus postage.

Not sure why you you'd get mad at that.

Id get mad because i wanted the full set but if no Hawks players get a card then I'll sell them all off individually. Yes it looks like a common card and needs some improvements next time around, but they are still numbered which makes them a fair bit better than a common.

Bulldogs first up.

111.png
112.png

I wonder how many of the Eagles they will do. I'm guessing they're doing the clubs out of the finals first in case players decide to retire after the finals campaign.

So far for my club we have

M. Priddis
S. Mitchell
D. Petrie
S. Butler

Possibly J.Hill and M.LeCras to follow. If i was to guess Hill will be forced into retirement and Lecca will get a one year contract.

hey shuey...
whats this so far from my club we have. sam mitchell. :cry:
he was in perth for 7 home games and you claim him as a eagle. man you gotta be joking i was in perth for a holiday last year maybe i need to change my enrolment details. lol.
just having fun with you, is juddy a wa resident or is he part of the carlton crew. :p

hey shuey...
whats this so far from my club we have. sam mitchell. :cry:
he was in perth for 7 home games and you claim him as a eagle. man you gotta be joking i was in perth for a holiday last year maybe i need to change my enrolment details. lol.
just having fun with you, is juddy a wa resident or is he part of the carlton crew. :p

Set is called the "2017 retiree set", not the "trade a champion of the club for pick 88 set":p

They will do the players in the colours of the team they retired with, I don't know why you're worried, royal blue and gold looks better than brown and gold anyway.

Get some more colour into that collection:thumbsup:

Juddy is forever an Eagle.

Premiership Captain
Norm Smith Medallist
Brownlow Medallist
Leigh Matthews MVP
2 x Best and Fairest Medallist
3 x Glendinning Medallist
2 x All Australian recipitant
Goal of the year winner
AFLPA best first year player
Rising star runner up
Averaged over a goal a game

All in his first 5 years of AFL.

Good luck to anyone ever trying to top that.

Last edited:
yeah juddy is pretty damn good i must say, pity he missed out on being the AFL player of the century.:eek:

who was the player of the century?
oh it was AFL Hall of Fame Legend and Hawthorn champion Leigh Matthews, wow he looked good in the brown and gold.

good to chat and have some fun :lol:
not sure if all of leigh's achievements will fit in one post .......

Leigh Matthews
Played: 1969 - 1985
Games: 332
Goals: 915
Captain: 1981 - 1985
Premierships: 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983
Night Premierships: 1969, 1977
Leading Goal kicker: 1975 (68)
Best & Fairest: 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1982
2nd Best & Fairest: 1975, 1981
3rd Best & Fairest: 1973
Life Member: 1976
Team of the Century: 2001
Hall of Fame - Legend of the Club: 2003
VFL / AFL Honours
3rd Brownlow Medal: 1973, 1982
Coleman Medal: 1975
State Captain: 1980
State Representative: 14
VFL/AFL Life Member: 1984
AFL Legend: 1996
AFL Team of the Century: 1996
All-Australian: 1972, 1982, 1983
AFLPA MVP: 1982

wow i am outta breath, go the hawks, and go mitch you legend :cool:

ps. i find it ironic that you listed judy as winning the Leigh Matthews MVP Award

:D
yeah juddy is pretty damn good i must say, pity he missed out on being the AFL player of the century.:eek:

who was the player of the century?
oh it was AFL Hall of Fame Legend and Hawthorn champion Leigh Matthews, wow he looked good in the brown and gold.

good to chat and have some fun :lol:
not sure if all of leigh's achievements will fit in one post .......

Leigh Matthews
Premierships: 1971
Best & Fairest: 1971, 1972
All-Australian: 1972

wow i am outta breath, go the hawks, and go mitch you legend :cool:

ps. i find it ironic that you listed judy as winning the Leigh Matthews MVP Award

Let's compare first five years in the game between Juddy and Matthews.

Leigh Matthews
Premiership 1971
Best and fairest 1971, 1972
All Australian 1971

Oh my, it's looking a little bare now isn't it?? but not bad for a VFL player. ;)

P.S I find it ironic the way you're using the word ironic. :D

Last edited:
Hodge and Gibson tomorrow I believe.

Well done on getting the thread back on track lol.
I think they are releasing them too frequently, I'm trying to save money right now not spend it. 2 a week is plenty.
But i get they want to release as many as they can while the season is still playing out as that will generate more sales. It's just not helping me save.

2 a week they wouldn't have it done before next year, the way they're doing it they'll be done in up to 6 weeks (if all 18 teams are done x2, but think it will be less), around the time they'll be organising the Premiership sets to be printed, and then any redemptions for FF. They'll want to free up the printers to get next years release up and running before December I would think.

Back
Top Bottom