Select Optimum 2021

Can't afford $99 for a membership but wants premium content and boxes ;)

I take the point and yes, it won't happen...but it would be nice

Ok, rephrase then.

For people that miss out on a membership drop, having to look at Select release a series of cards that they will probably never get their hands on unless they trade or buy them. It's literally putting SCC members on a pedestal over everyone else in the hobby and doesn't that go completely against what this hobby is all about? I mean, I know there is a lot of entitlement in the AFL scene, I know a lot of people think they are better than the next person because of the cards they have, but I also still think that whilst we adapt to new climates in the scene, we should not be alienating anyone.

There has to be a better way now as it is already alienating a lot of collectors and even some bricks and mortar shops. What that is well maybe a ballot system who knows . Maybe go back to 2 boxes per person .

To everyone that missed out, now you know how people that collect shoes feel.

Ho

I am not taking this wrong way, nor having a go at you, but this is how I see things in relation to this point.

The cards have AFL footballers on them, not The Wiggles, therefore we cannot say that any product is marketed more so towards kids than it is adults. It's the people that decide who the product is marketed to and always has been. It's the people that say "that's a product targeted at kids" and then everyone runs with that. They are AFL footballers on the cards, not The Wiggles, so there is no product that is targeted mainly towards kids over the general collector or "adult" (I put adult in quotation marks because in the last 2 days, a lot of people have acted like anything BUT an adult after missing out on a box or two).

Some may argue that Footy Stars and Teamcoach are mainly for kids given how they are designed, but that theory went straight out the window this year when I saw nearly everyone I know and then some buying mass boxes of both products to chase Marquees, Cardcraft cards to get the gold card, etc.

Kids don't have the money to blow on boxes, it's the parents that are buying these products for them (9/10 anyway, excluding kids who use their Christmas or birthday money perhaps). So to say that certain products are mainly aimed at kids is wrong in my opinion because we constantly see adults buying those same products and let's be honest, kids just want cards of ANY sort. I go back to what I said before, they are AFL cards, not kids TV show cards.

That's how I see it. There is really no "kids product" in the card game. Sure, there are cards kids can't afford and won't be able to afford until they are old enough to earn money and blow it on those cards or even boxes/cases. But that doesn't mean there are specific products aimed what they can afford. More purchase availability on Teamcoach or Footy Stars doesn't mean it's a kids product.

That's my take.
We’ll just have to disagree here mate, but that’s all good. I think there are a lot of factors that make Footy Stars a product targeted at kids when compared to the other releases. Price, print run, marketing, design and availability just to name a few.

The problem now is with series 1 or sets aimed at kids without a couple of higher end inserts ie marquee cards or gold cards in team coach the sets don’t sell as well. Now people expect these in every set be it series 1 or 2. Card companies are also happy as the product sells out or sells a lot faster. I think if they bought out a set with just a basic common set with low end inserts it would sell but would sit on the shelf a lot longer .

Looks like desperation has finally kicked in today, prices on eBay going crazy.

Hard to tell if some of the auctions where the box has sold for over $1000 are real or not.

At that price the breakers will have to charge nearly $100 per team to make bank. Hard to see even the most desperate punters pay that.

I'm lucky I've got my 5 (1 SCC + 4 General) coming in. Haven't been this excited to bust for a long long time.

With regards to the value of the SCC membership, I'm happy to pay $500 for anyone's SCC box which will cover their membership and then some 😜

Going to be some crazy cards in this release, Dusty Norm Smith will easily fetch $1500, the AAs will be worth crazy money too.

What do we think will be the most valuable card of the release? What are we chasing?

We’ll just have to disagree here mate, but that’s all good. I think there are a lot of factors that make Footy Stars a product targeted at kids when compared to the other releases. Price, print run, marketing, design and availability just to name a few.

Nah that's totally fine, as I said I'm definitely not having a dig. Just a convo :)

I am sure some of the prices for boxes are maybe how you say not legitimate. Medal cards do you think they will be that expensive what are they limited too ?

I am sure some of the prices for boxes are maybe how you say not legitimate. Medal cards do you think they will be that expensive what are they limited too ?

/50 for medals /65 for AA

So say a Dusty Medal will theoretically be of similar value to the Dusty Brilliance card

Be interesting as even though they are a nice card never been worth a lot . Let us see how much the limited quantity does to their value.

Be interesting as even though they are a nice card never been worth a lot . Let us see how much the limited quantity does to their value.
It will do the same thing any other numbered card does, especially worse given they are /50

some interesting chat here to catch up one. Just my 2 cents on SCC membership - Enjoy that program for what it is. Piece of mind for 1 guaranteed box per release - that is a big deal (understanding the value is limited to what is on offer that year re product - but still - piece of mind).

If you give SCC more benefits, or a larger piece of the pie then SCC membrship is just going to become the new flipper goto and then we will all be on here saying they need to do a Premium SCC so that genuine collectors can get back in and get a box etc, as they now can't even get SCC membership - and so on and so forth.

The horrible truth of a growing and exciting hobby where there is money to be made means there will never be true fairness for collectors or kids. It's just how it is unfortunately, but it does come with some upside as well. Hang in there folks, markets go up and down, always new product gets released, etc. (yes I know - not helpful)

Maybe in the future they will have an exclusive SCC series and if no one purchases their allocation it will go to the general public. Say 1000 boxes produced 1 for each member. I reckon there wouldn’t be too many left over.
I think I read there were 8400 boxes so even at 2 per SCC member and at 800 SCC members that is only 1600 boxes so plenty left over. I also think SCC members want cards, card accessories and albums not caps and the like
i did the same and got donuts
me too I wrote but ave yet to get a reply - also I. issed out on last years release just too slow but hey I am nelry 70 - anyway last year as soon as i misse dout I searched everywhere in australia and found 2 sites that had 2 and 4 boxes of supreme and i bought 4 and i got 2 captains signatures - this year though i can;t fina anyway who has any boxes for sale. As for SCC membership I am happy with albums, card accessories and boxes BUT caps etc are a waste of time and money for me - next year if SCC membership occurs and why won;t it if you have 800 members in year one and boxes hard to get then one could expect to exceed 1000 next year so perhaps Select could nake it more attractive for SCC members - it does not matter what company or product but you must look after members

PS: and i apologise if this is not the correct place to enter this reuqest but I am attempting to get all select AFL albums - I just need 1998 and 1999 albums so if any reader knows of some one who has a spare for sale please let me know - private email is [email protected] - Many thanks John

Back
Top Bottom