Select Optimum 2021

Sitting here refreshing the page, then asked myself what is wrong with me and moved on with my life. All this trying for beautiful, sweet cardboard.
I to missed out on both drops. Then found myself having a laugh, more at what the hobby has grown into.. I miss the old days of casually buying loose packs or grabbing boxes when ever the urge came up.
I guess life just be like that..but hey, the money saved will now go towards obtaining the individual cards I desire.

I to missed out on both drops. Then found myself having a laugh, more at what the hobby has grown into.. I miss the old days of casually buying loose packs or grabbing boxes when ever the urge came up.
I guess life just be like that..but hey, the money saved will now go towards obtaining the individual cards I desire.
I also missed out got to finishing credit card payment when closed out - notice ridiculous prices on e bay and how coem some hae more than 4 boxes?? I am not a savvy IT person and have been collecting Select cards since 1994 - it is getting harder as each year goes by - at least as a SCC member I got one box - perhaps Select can change things so an SCC member can get more than 1 box. I share your views on old days. I actually collect with a view to passing on to son and he is going to pass on to grandson.

Please no one take this the wrong way as this is purely my opinion only, but I read so many people’s comments about missing out and their kids are really disappointed. This product isn’t actually aimed at pleasing kids, that’s what Footy Stars and to a curtain extent Prestige are for.
This must be directed at me as I think I am the only one who has mentioned kids in this thread..

We were late to the party with footy stars as we weren’t in a position to purchase any when they were available. When we had some funds available they were sold out in SA. We also missed out on prestige as it sold out fast. I know they are not aimed at children but the kids have were getting really excited about finally being able to rip some packs open as they love the footy. It’s my fault , as I probably gave them false hope that we would score a box. Also now that all the store that sell them look like they aren’t going to be selling boxes, it’s just a little disappointing.

It has been a leaning experience for us.

I’m sorry if I came across the wrong way in my initial comment.

Last edited:
The hobby has changed . We usually go the way of the US in collecting it seems, just taken us a little longer. I think there will be some 1 of 1s eventually too. The bricks and mortar shops will need to adjust and include box breaks as this seems to be where it’s headed currently. Incidentally I have never participated in one of those maybe I will have a look at one and see how it goes.

Another option is just buy the cards individually instead of box and pack opening . We all love breaking a box and packs but in reality buying the cards you actually want is probably the smarter way to do things in the current environment if you are unable to get any to open.

I reckon it started to change about 2015 to 2017 . I remember I could ring Steve at Cardzone and order a couple of boxes with the knowledge I could get some more in the following weeks or months. Then once Select started to grow their site it just took off. As I said there are positives and negatives to this. I honestly believe another card company could come in now.

I'm very grateful to have got some boxes & super excited by the release, though some interesting market dynamics at the moment...which are a difficult balance

Firstly (and the most positive aspect), we are seeing some great releases from Select. The releases since 2016 have been fantastic, this ranges from Footy Stars through to Series 2 and the special releases we've been getting (e.g. Supremacy, Brilliance, re-boxing of Heritage). So this shouldn't be lost...great job Select !!!

Secondly, the market is at a peak (or still peaking?) so the interest is much higher (and our PC values have no doubt increased considerably). This has resulted in new collectors, renewed interest from existing collectors or new entrants looking to maximise the opportunity from this growing market / demand.

I'm not sure what the solution is, and yes my thoughts are most likely bias...though how do we recognise loyalty and commitment over the extended term. Many collectors , resellers, traders and retailers who despite the lean years be that in terms of market value, release # and/or release quality still remained committed to the hobby during these leaner times. So how do we prioritise loyalty over those entering for the wrong spirit & intent?

I've absolutely loved this hobby for over 20 years, and hope to keep doing so for at least another 20. One of the most enjoyable things over these 20+ years has been meeting many new friends who share the same passion and the ability to pop into see Wangy, have a chat and grab an old box or old case...the good times :)

The lockdowns have seen people who I thought would never take an interest in the hobby stand up and take a look. Although I think that is more to do with the monetary side rather than the collecting side for some of them.

perhaps Select can change things so an SCC member can get more than 1 box.

I would support the SCC getting get more boxes, because obvs I am a SCC member and it takes the stress out of the public releases.

Won't happen though, as Supremacy would be completely sold out ;)

This must be directed at me as I think I am the only one who has mentioned kids in this thread..

We were late to the party with footy stars as we weren’t in a position to purchase any when they were available. When we had some funds available they were sold out in SA. We also missed out on prestige as it sold out fast. I know they are not aimed at children but the kids have were getting really excited about finally being able to rip some packs open as they love the footy. It’s my fault , as I probably gave them false hope that we would score a box. Also now that all the store that sell them look like they aren’t going to be selling boxes, it’s just a little disappointing.

It has been a leaning experience for us.

I’m sorry if I came across the wrong way in my initial comment.

Not just you mate, I’ve read very similar comments in Facebook groups too. Don’t take it personally. Shame your kids haven’t had the chance yet but fingers crossed Footy Stars next year will be their chance to bust.

Not just you mate, I’ve read very similar comments in Facebook groups too. Don’t take it personally. Shame your kids haven’t had the chance yet but fingers crossed Footy Stars next year will be their chance to bust.
To be fair, there are those who use their kids to guilt others into giving them stuff (cards/boxes) etc

I would support the SCC getting get more boxes, because obvs I am a SCC member and it takes the stress out of the public releases.

I saw recetnly on card authority review of optimum that a year ago Select introduced SCC with a view to having 1000 SCC memebrs - in fact they got around 800 so if that is the case then offering more than one box to SCC members would not preclude general public from getting boxes - but also watch over next month or so how many group breaks there indicatign some places must have cases of optimum - one thing has indeed occurred with vocid and lockdowns and that is "collecting" on many things have increased.

I saw recetnly on card authority review of optimum that a year ago Select introduced SCC with a view to having 1000 SCC memebrs - in fact they got around 800 so if that is the case then offering more than one box to SCC members would not preclude general public from getting boxes - but also watch over next month or so how many group breaks there indicatign some places must have cases of optimum - one thing has indeed occurred with vocid and lockdowns and that is "collecting" on many things have increased.
Yeah I watched the CA stream and was shocked that only 800 people took the option to join.

That clearly will extend to the full 1000 when the subscription renews next year, so don't think they will extend the box limit for the SCC members.

I too am interested to see who the big breakers are. Wonder if the old mate on ebay will just open his 100 cases and put them up as singles like he did for prestige ;)

Maybe in the future they will have an exclusive SCC series and if no one purchases their allocation it will go to the general public. Say 1000 boxes produced 1 for each member. I reckon there wouldn’t be too many left over.

Checklist said 8400 boxes, theoretically would have been 4200 per drop but because of the SCC members that would reduce it by a bit
Where the stated 8400 boxes were produced (700 cases), a portion (half? more/less who knows, well Select knows) go from Select to Select’s distributor (prior to the public releases) then that distributor controls/decides which dealers or retail outlets or online traders get (from that portion) how many cases and/or boxes (this is from an email with Select, not a claim, a fact, but take from it what you will).

Unless Select rep comes on here and states (with evidence) how many boxes in the public release it’s pure speculation.

One dealer I spoke with said they’re getting 3 cases, another said one and some boxes...

My purely speculative guess would be somewhere around 1000 boxes in each drop, although in any case for the second drop Select might have considered less due to prices that appeared on eBay...

To everyone that missed out, now you know how people that collect shoes feel.

Ho
Please no one take this the wrong way as this is purely my opinion only, but I read so many people’s comments about missing out and their kids are really disappointed. This product isn’t actually aimed at pleasing kids, that’s what Footy Stars and to a curtain extent Prestige are for.

I am not taking this wrong way, nor having a go at you, but this is how I see things in relation to this point.

The cards have AFL footballers on them, not The Wiggles, therefore we cannot say that any product is marketed more so towards kids than it is adults. It's the people that decide who the product is marketed to and always has been. It's the people that say "that's a product targeted at kids" and then everyone runs with that. They are AFL footballers on the cards, not The Wiggles, so there is no product that is targeted mainly towards kids over the general collector or "adult" (I put adult in quotation marks because in the last 2 days, a lot of people have acted like anything BUT an adult after missing out on a box or two).

Some may argue that Footy Stars and Teamcoach are mainly for kids given how they are designed, but that theory went straight out the window this year when I saw nearly everyone I know and then some buying mass boxes of both products to chase Marquees, Cardcraft cards to get the gold card, etc.

Kids don't have the money to blow on boxes, it's the parents that are buying these products for them (9/10 anyway, excluding kids who use their Christmas or birthday money perhaps). So to say that certain products are mainly aimed at kids is wrong in my opinion because we constantly see adults buying those same products and let's be honest, kids just want cards of ANY sort. I go back to what I said before, they are AFL cards, not kids TV show cards.

That's how I see it. There is really no "kids product" in the card game. Sure, there are cards kids can't afford and won't be able to afford until they are old enough to earn money and blow it on those cards or even boxes/cases. But that doesn't mean there are specific products aimed what they can afford. More purchase availability on Teamcoach or Footy Stars doesn't mean it's a kids product.

That's my take.

My purely speculative guess would be somewhere around 1000 boxes in each drop, although in any case for the second drop Select might have considered less due to prices that appeared on eBay...

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if there was around 2000-2500 total for the public (ex SCC allotment ~500-700)

You'd expect you'll know quite soon after release who got the lion's share (Breaks and Ebay listings will be interesting)

Back
Top Bottom