Sekou Doumbouya

1stBowman

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Damien
COMC User
1stBowman
I was looking through the Blowout threads last night and came across a Sekou Doumbouya thread. I've just started to look more closely at this year's draft class and would like to start investing in a few. Anyway, the poster is one of the more astute members on there - if not the most astute member on there - and he was spruiking Doumbouya. What I loved was the guy's age (19) and, that he has great shooting mechanics. He's also playing on a rebuilding team(Pistons) and will get good minutes moving forward. The age factor I really like ( it's the main reason I'm very keen on Anfernee Simons - young, as well as talented and not overawed).I haven't seen Doumbouya play yet, but hopefully I will get a look at him soon.

Anyone on here have a big opinion of Doumbouya? Could he be the French Freak?

Great post mate! About to head over to blowout and have a read of the thread myself, but yes!! Sekou Doumbouya has amazing upside to his game! He also begun in the French Pro Leagues at age 16! Incredible potential for his career moving forward.

I've been picking up some of his stuff myself lately after watching his first couple of games. He may actually turn out to be one of the most solid players in the draft!

He was given the task of guarding LeBron in yesterday's game, and did an excellent job! Forced him to pass the ball off a few times too! His shooting wasn't as smooth as previous games, but he played long minutes and put in work for sure.

As for signs of being like Giannis Antetokounmpo, it could be possible, time will tell i guess, but he is definitely to become part of the Detroit starting 5 and make some waves among fans and collectors alike, no question about it.

Played 33 minutes yesterday for 15 points and 2 boards.

33 mnutes for 11 points and 5 boards v the Lakers.

Reports Drummond may be traded before Feb 6 deadline - means his minutes will stay up if fit.

Rookie Prizm Silvers are already going over $50US - gotta be quick!

I've got 2 stashed away but wish I had 4-5 more.

I was bidding on one which went for $52US. I think you're right. His prices will track north quickly. Nice work with the 2 Silvers.

Doumboya 's latest outing: 17 minutes, 0 points, 2 rebounds. His stat line is getting progressively worse.

One has to be very vigilant not to get caught up in the hype. Svi Mykhailiuk looks a better hobby bet at this point. You can buy 10 of his silvers for the price of 1 Doumboya. He looks to have cemented a starting position for now and is putting up some decent numbers.

Last edited:
Agreed! Svi is actually playing great since his shift from the lakers. My only view on Sekou is the lack of shot opportunities he has been getting, may actually have something to do with why his stats have been poor as of late. Either Drummond or D.Rose have possession of the ball majority of the time, and usually end up taking it right to the hoop. Though with that said, maybe the hype has him choked, and he is going through the rookie slump right now. Gotta catch up on a few games later tonight and check back some footage to see what he is doing.

Either way, he has shown flashes of potential, but to pay the $100+ ask price for a Silver RC Prizm is just wild. $<20 is a safe bet.

But it is much too early to write him off. There's no guessing when these guys will get on fire and gain some consistency, guys like Devonte Graham are prime examples.. Always pays to put away 2 or so nice RCs of each prospect for a rainy day.

I need to clarify my original post. I described a certain Blowout member as "astute". What I meant to say was that he was one of the more intelligent and articulate members on that site. Clearly his prospecting nous leaves a lot to be desired.

Well, young Sekou may be headed back to the G-League for a while.

I don't know what happened with him. Was going so well, then as soon as the dunk on Tristan Thompson went viral.. he slumped. Been a disaster since then.
Hope he can beat this low point and get back on top of his game sooner than later.

Well, young Sekou may be headed back to the G-League for a while.

I don't know what happened with him. Was going so well, then as soon as the dunk on Tristan Thompson went viral.. he slumped. Been a disaster since then.
Hope he can beat this low point and get back on top of his game sooner than later.

It's a worry. Doumbouya, like many from this year's draft crop, found himself in a position where he had a great opportunity to nail down a starting position for years to come. He has fluffed his lines in a big way. Still very young, but you have to grab those opportunities when they present themselves. Following his drop-off he's now more like a 50/50 chance( at best) to make it imo ( I'm talking strictly hobby relevance).

Last edited:
Was playing well today. It's still so early for him too, being 19, and given opportunities like that in 1st year. I don't even want to imagine the stress involved with it all. So like you said above, hopefully he can get that starter spot secured, and get some consistency in his overall game.

I wouldn't write him off just yet.

It's not his fault the hype came strong.

There has been some discipline issues and not turning up on time problems that may be the reason behind the lapse.

Still only 19 and plenty of potential if he gets his mind on the job.

Back
Top Bottom