Scanlens Rugby League Cards for trades only

Hey Rodney, welcome to Oz Cards and nice avatar as well. :thumbsup: It looks like you support the good guys.

I think you'll find you will get more interest if you list the cards by year and number and also list the cards you want.

I have huge numbers of St George doubles from most years so keen to know what you maybe looking for.

I need to upgrade the odd 1977 / 1978 as well.

You can click the links in my signature below to see some of what I have and need.

Cheers
Ross

Hey guys,
I just went through my toybox from 1970s last month …. I found the complete full set each card in plastic sleeves of the 1974 Scanlen‘s Rugby League Card full set. Each card is virtually nearly mint condition I’d say nearly 9 or 10 …I was obsessive little kid and never took them to school with elastic band and in my pocket. I noticed there’s not one full set available anywhere … and in the last set sold I think was over 10 years ago and wasn’t in great condition. There is someone on eBay now asking $2,500 for a set that’s been stuck into a scrapbook and the cards are quite rabbit eared and creased, the thing with a 1974 cards is on the reverse side of the card it made up a huge photo (jigsaw puzzle) essentially of the 1974 grand final .. so $2,500 that pretty rendered half useless being stuck to exercise book page. I also found this incredible unique newspaper souvenir a flexible clear red vinyl record that was in the paper issued from 2GB with a young 29 y/o Ray Warren calling the game with a vinyl flexible record inside the record cover ft. coloured photo of both teams Manly and Cronulla on each side signed players inside and all the 1974 years game stats. As I see it there’s absolute nothing on any Internet searches … no ones ever have that record or sold one … I googled it … this came up with only one tiny picture reference in some weird valuation website … so I think pretty much no longer available, and I probably have the only one in circulation… along with a very old rare as souvenir 7 page brochure from 1934 Australian Kangaroo tour of Great Britain with a photo of the Australian team with one of the players signatures on the back who played for Manly… name Steer ? I suppose quite extraordinary collection possibly would sell one day but just throwing it out there and seeing what people think about it ?? Awesome thanks for reading and enjoying the reading on the forms
Cheers
Andrew

FC2FE0AF-1727-4F10-89ED-EBAD3FA20A4A.jpeg

B210A45F-FEA6-46EA-A73A-60BEDC210D95.jpeg

0CDCF410-22DF-4609-96B4-4CB97F16F4DF.jpeg

8E4038A4-687F-4FB9-84BE-4DBE48139012.jpeg

6B28EA43-A093-430B-8C12-7DA62794D6BF.jpeg

445C96C4-A25D-48BB-B27E-838E52C5560B.jpeg

42435D17-9E31-43F5-84D4-3E6529CAD6EB.jpeg

D18B4617-23C3-46B3-BB64-497A30B6CA33.jpeg

6C977ED7-EE5F-4FF4-B46E-9F47A13C781C.jpeg

D40EFA0D-07E5-4264-AC55-C37B67F25665.jpeg

Last edited:
Love the Rabs record!
I know DMC crazy hey :) just goes to show how long Rab’s has been in the game and what a great caller he was, and we thought that his tv predecessor Rex Mossop was a good commentator ….then along came Ray Warren … fun stuff to look through and hang on to, but yeah it is something I haven’t seen anywhere on the web so quite amazing souvenir :) 👍 awesome cheers Andrew

Some nice pieces there, I like the Mint 74 set that's a good one to have.

You do see the 45 vinyl come up every now and then but certainly not often, shame it's a Manly and Cronulla game really . :p

I think the Ray Stehr signed 1933 Postacard though would be my favourite, what 's on the front of the postcard?

Cheers
Ross

Some nice pieces there, I like the Mint 74 set that's a good one to have.

You do see the 45 vinyl come up every now and then but certainly not often, shame it's a Manly and Cronulla game really . :p

I think the Ray Stehr signed 1933 Postacard though would be my favourite, what 's on the front of the postcard?

Cheers
Ross
Hey Ross, great to meet you thank you so much, yeah it’s a great year that collection hey :) a lot of sentimental value to my 11 year old self lol … I don’t know if I’ll part with it until I really need to but the 1973 Grand Final record it is quite rare too …I haven’t seen anything in Google Searches or photos or Pinterest or any Web searches at all …except for one valuation site place so is really weird .. really rare I suppose. But thanks Ross for the info on that that’s wonderful. Okay yes Ray has signed the back of an “actual photograph” of the Australian 1934 kangaroo team I’m pretty sure it’s a 100% photo …not a postcard unless they did incredible postcards back in 1934 LOL and obviously quite unique Ray’s daughter owned it … and had no sons .. handed down and to a friend … and I was able to get it for my collection it’s the full 1934 kangaroo 1934 English tour souvenir guide … yeah it’s pretty nice too, it is the kind of thing that should be put it under Glass at the Australian rugby league Museum for sure… I don’t think anyone’s got one of those in existence. Thank you so much Ross for the awesome info 👍 so good to chat have an awesome week cheers Andrew

Hey Ross, great to meet you thank you so much, yeah it’s a great year that collection hey :) a lot of sentimental value to my 11 year old self lol … I don’t know if I’ll part with it until I really need to but the 1973 Grand Final record it is quite rare too …I haven’t seen anything in Google Searches or photos or Pinterest or any Web searches at all …except for one valuation site place so is really weird .. really rare I suppose. But thanks Ross for the info on that that’s wonderful. Okay yes Ray has signed the back of an “actual photograph” of the Australian 1934 kangaroo team I’m pretty sure it’s a 100% photo …not a postcard unless they did incredible postcards back in 1934 LOL and obviously quite unique Ray’s daughter owned it … and had no sons .. handed down and to a friend … and I was able to get it for my collection it’s the full 1934 kangaroo 1934 English tour souvenir guide … yeah it’s pretty nice too, it is the kind of thing that should be put it under Glass at the Australian rugby league Museum for sure… I don’t think anyone’s got one of those in existence. Thank you so much Ross for the awesome info 👍 so good to chat have an awesome week cheers Andrew
Great little stroll down memory lane for all us collectors Andrew.
I think you'll find a lot of help on here.
Most of us here a full on with our collections.
We are a pretty picky bunch, we like our old cards in mint condition.
Any questions, feel free to ask.
Dave.

Hi Rodney,
Those pictures of the 1974 cards are they for trade for the cards you need?
Also do you have a list of the cards you need.
Cheets
Tony

Great little stroll down memory lane for all us collectors Andrew.
I think you'll find a lot of help on here.
Most of us here a full on with our collections.
We are a pretty picky bunch, we like our old cards in mint condition.
Any questions, feel free to ask.
Dave.
Hey Dave great to meet you, that’s awesome. Yeah when we approach 60 and 70 years of age things start to come back is incredibly precious items from our what seems like a lifetime ago childhood lol …. it’s quite an incredible experience isn’t it. Yeah these 1974 cards are pretty much mint condition, all the corners are nearly perfect all centred well and I’ve never really been anywhere except for the gum packet then into these little plastic sleeves. I’m thinking of investing in those little Perspex box thingys I know the American card collection industry has those but they’re a bit more bulkier opposed to thin plastic sleeves ie carry around etc … so David at present the rugby league and AFL collecting card industry hasn’t got any valuation certified type authorising body and documentation for these ? I suppose that’s not big enough industry here in Australia to have that body reviewing them and sealing them with the stamps and certified accreditation …I suppose there’s not many people that would try to counterfeit these cards lol … All in all I think I just hang onto these and see how I go :) at some point I might sell them could pay for a nice little bathroom renovation lol ;) Great to chat Dave thank you so much cheers Andrew ⚔️

Hey Dave great to meet you, that’s awesome. Yeah when we approach 60 and 70 years of age things start to come back is incredibly precious items from our what seems like a lifetime ago childhood lol …. it’s quite an incredible experience isn’t it. Yeah these 1974 cards are pretty much mint condition, all the corners are nearly perfect all centred well and I’ve never really been anywhere except for the gum packet then into these little plastic sleeves. I’m thinking of investing in those little Perspex box thingys I know the American card collection industry has those but they’re a bit more bulkier opposed to thin plastic sleeves ie carry around etc … so David at present the rugby league and AFL collecting card industry hasn’t got any valuation certified type authorising body and documentation for these ? I suppose that’s not big enough industry here in Australia to have that body reviewing them and sealing them with the stamps and certified accreditation …I suppose there’s not many people that would try to counterfeit these cards lol … All in all I think I just hang onto these and see how I go :) at some point I might sell them could pay for a nice little bathroom renovation lol ;) Great to chat Dave thank you so much cheers Andrew ⚔️
Also I think they give them a rating out of 10
with some kind of level of rating 10 …. 9 or 5 fir a worn one etc, I think my cards would have to be at 10 there’s just never been touched at all or bent there like brand-new, it’s interesting reading all this :) very intriguing

Also I think they give them a rating out of 10
with some kind of level of rating 10 …. 9 or 5 fir a worn one etc, I think my cards would have to be at 10 there’s just never been touched at all or bent there like brand-new, it’s interesting reading all this :) very intriguing
Andrew, i love your thoughts of keeping your ccards in prestige condition.
Im not one for going into 1 touch holders etc.
All my cards also go straight into sleeves, only 1 type of sleeve thou,
Ultra pro premium,
I never mix any types of plastics, as they can react with each other over time.
When select started bringing there folders out with sleeves in them, ie
Cheap chinese shit.
I took them out and threw them in the bin.
I have spent thousands on sleeves, 9 pocket, 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 12, etc.
I dont display them,
I would need a house 10 times bigger than what have, imagine all that dusting to do.
Mine are all in cupboards i had made.

Ultra pro premium,
Cheap chinese s***.
I dont display them,
I would need a house 10 times bigger than what have, imagine all that dusting to do.
Ultra pro premium,
Cheap chinese s***.
I dont display them,
Hey Saintsforever, :) 😀 Great to meet you and thank you so much for that in-depth awesome response 👍😀 explaining how the sleeves work. I don’t know where I got my sleeves from but must’ve got them at least 10 years ago from somewhere I hope they weren’t Chinese LOL but this point they’re looking really good there’s no marking or any reaction to the card so so far so good ✅ I might just …if it ain’t broke don’t fix a type thing LOL, wow what a collection you have 🔥 you must be so proud of your achievements it is a huge area collecting sports cards and it’s something that’s incredibly interesting and obviously quite addictive. Wow that is insane I’ll have to look at those sleeves for all the cards and maybe the full page ones book that like a photo album that might be of actually better, maybe having each team on a page that be so much easier look at and people can check them out. I don’t want any ultraviolet or sunrays on them so I try to always keep it away from daylight always in that little cuff link box I’ve got. Unfortunate one of my Cards has a 1/2 tear down the centre which is I think one of the East players and it lines up perfectly nearly can’t see it … with the right card restorer person …. I think you could probably not even notice it’s been torn ….but what are your thoughts on that? Leave it as is, I noticed it the other day, also one of the cards has two little tiny pen marks about the size of half a TicTac on the top right hand blank area again maybe a card restore (it is such a person) could take that away or is it worth trying to find a new cards to replace those, if I was selling etc …. Are very humbled to speak to such a great card collector that’s wonderful stuff, I represented in SG ball and Jersey flag for Balmain in my early mid 70’s and I was actually in the SG ball team that Benny Alias was in LOL …I would’ve probably paid first grade for sure and going on to who knows how much further. However alas there wasn’t much money in the game back then people were being paid $150 a game if they’re lucky ….I modeled my style of play on Saints halfback on Billy Smith and also Johnny Peard, I cannot believe that Billy Smith is still with us today !!! 🙏😇 what a legend 💥 amazing player and what a testimony he is given to the game playing in three of the last 11 straight St George grand final premiership wins ……a true legend of the game, I believe it’s in the Sutherland nursing home but Johnny Raper was into that just passed this year.. another amazing walk down and wander down memory lane ;) awesome cheers Andrew

Hey Saintsforever, :) 😀 Great to meet you and thank you so much for that in-depth awesome response 👍😀 explaining how the sleeves work. I don’t know where I got my sleeves from but must’ve got them at least 10 years ago from somewhere I hope they weren’t Chinese LOL but this point they’re looking really good there’s no marking or any reaction to the card so so far so good ✅ I might just …if it ain’t broke don’t fix a type thing LOL, wow what a collection you have 🔥 you must be so proud of your achievements it is a huge area collecting sports cards and it’s something that’s incredibly interesting and obviously quite addictive. Wow that is insane I’ll have to look at those sleeves for all the cards and maybe the full page ones book that like a photo album that might be of actually better, maybe having each team on a page that be so much easier look at and people can check them out. I don’t want any ultraviolet or sunrays on them so I try to always keep it away from daylight always in that little cuff link box I’ve got. Unfortunate one of my Cards has a 1/2 tear down the centre which is I think one of the East players and it lines up perfectly nearly can’t see it … with the right card restorer person …. I think you could probably not even notice it’s been torn ….but what are your thoughts on that? Leave it as is, I noticed it the other day, also one of the cards has two little tiny pen marks about the size of half a TicTac on the top right hand blank area again maybe a card restore (it is such a person) could take that away or is it worth trying to find a new cards to replace those, if I was selling etc …. Are very humbled to speak to such a great card collector that’s wonderful stuff, I represented in SG ball and Jersey flag for Balmain in my early mid 70’s and I was actually in the SG ball team that Benny Alias was in LOL …I would’ve probably paid first grade for sure and going on to who knows how much further. However alas there wasn’t much money in the game back then people were being paid $150 a game if they’re lucky ….I modeled my style of play on Saints halfback on Billy Smith and also Johnny Peard, I cannot believe that Billy Smith is still with us today !!! 🙏😇 what a legend 💥 amazing player and what a testimony he is given to the game playing in three of the last 11 straight St George grand final premiership wins ……a true legend of the game, I believe it’s in the Sutherland nursing home but Johnny Raper was into that just passed this year.. another amazing walk down and wander down memory lane ;) awesome cheers Andrew
Hey Andrew,

Just replace the two cards that you mention that aren't MINT with ones that are. The 1974 cards come up regularly for sale so just wait and watch or create a list of Wants and post a thread. There's a good chance someone can help you find what you need. It's pretty common practice to upgrade"older cards. I often look at my older Scanlens sets and upgrade cards that are in the worst condition.

Also there are card grading companies in Australia, although grading isn't as popular as it is in the US because as you say the industry isn't as big.

https://www.cardgradingaustralia.com/

Cheers
Ross

Hey Andrew,

Just replace the two cards that you mention that aren't MINT with ones that are. The 1974 cards come up regularly for sale so just wait and watch or create a list of Wants and post a thread. There's a good chance someone can help you find what you need. It's pretty common practice to upgrade"older cards. I often look at my older Scanlens sets and upgrade cards that are in the worst condition.

Also there are card grading companies in Australia, although grading isn't as popular as it is in the US because as you say the industry isn't as big.

https://www.cardgradingaustralia.com/

Cheers
Ross
Hey Ross, that’s awesome great advice I think it would be nice to have a perfect mint full set ….be a shame to have a couple of cards with the pen mark on a bit and a rip otherwise the rest are flawless, any idea when the last full set of mint condition 1974 Scanlen’s with the reverse 1973 grand final photo on the back sold for ? and how much ? I couldn’t find it anywhere in any internet history….. I think that must go in the vicinity of $5000 …just roughly based on the individual card prices …, the 1974 collection seems to be the sort after year hey, as everyone’s putting higher prices on those individual cards or that year’s team sets, maybe it’s because these players are still alive and they’re in their 70s maybe in 25 years time …like the 1960 cards … they will go down in price as the players are no longer living ?? Maybe that’s a theory ? Lol awesome Ross have a great week cheers thank you Andrew

Hi all. I have some scanlens rugby league cards for trade for scanlens rugby league. My cards are from 1976 and onwards. The years I am looking for 1974 to 1987.
hi mate i should have a large amount of cards your looking for from the years you mentioned i am also looking for and from the same years. so send me your complete list and ill go through and get back asap. regards wayne

yes hi mate if your still interested in finishing off your set?s tap in have most what u need for trade also in excellent condition. let me know if u need photos ect.cheers regards wayne

Hi Rodney,
Those pictures of the 1974 cards are they for trade for the cards you need?
Also do you have a list of the cards you need.
Cheets
Tony
Hi Tony.
Sorry for the late reply mate. Those 1974 cards photos aren't my photos of cards. Whoever I do have some 1974 cards for trade and I still need some more to finish of the set. If your interested in trading 1974 for 1974 cards please let me know.
Once again mate sorry for the late reply.
Regards
Rodney

hi mate i should have a large amount of cards your looking for from the years you mentioned i am also looking for and from the same years. so send me your complete list and ill go through and get back asap. regards wayne
Hi mate.
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I am still interested in trading 1974 to 1987. Thank you Wayne.
Regards
Rodney

Back
Top Bottom