dazla

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Darren
eBay User
dazla2003
I found this FREE OFFER in a 1980 Big League magazine:

Big League July 1980.jpg

From my understanding they failed to print card 99 of Bob McMillan from Souths and yes they are rarer, they were printed in uncut sheets and unfortunately a lot of kids weren't that accurate when it came to 'separating' the cards, the uncut sheets go for pretty good $$$ and they rarely come up on ebay, apparently there was a sheet of 3 cards and a sheet of 4.

I had to read that 3 times to work out what they were on about!
I am a little confused also having read it several times over.

My only question is

The extra cards, did they only come as the 3 card/ 4 card uncut version only or did they also come as single cards. So does the single version of these extra cards only appear due to being cut up from the uncut sheets.

Only in the uncut sheets to the best of my knowledge, that's why the 'bonus' cards will come in all shapes and sizes, BTW I need a few as well!.

BTW Bob Mcmillan is card No98 and in my opinion by far the hardest to obtain particulary in VGC.

pclarke on ebay has the pack for sale. High price but very rare so it does warrant it.

This is the only 1 that i have left, having previously sold 2, 1 being the 4 card.

1980 3card.jpg

1980 3card1.jpg

Hi dazla,

Thanks for posting that. I know the special packs only came out very late in the year but never knew the reason.

I picked up heaps from my local Franklins at the time. Not sure how many attempts I had to make before I had a "perfect" set of singles from the 3 and 4 card strips!

I only have 2 sets of the 3 / 4 card strips left (not for sale) and sold a factory/transport damaged set a couple of years ago. All the rest were thrown out without my knowledge in the mid 80s - I was on a uni field trip when my family had a "clean-up". Almost all my 74-81 checklists and dozens of empty 78/79/80 packets went at the same time as they were in the same shoe box. That still causes grief.

Regards
Mike

Lol - you trim them like most of Jardogs scanlens listings.
How true, i am noticing a certain coincidence about very good condition cards.

Next thing you know is that you will have to ask the exact dimensions of each card that is for sale.

Thats the way things seem to be going!

Maybe that should be something that you could incorporate into your Magazine, Owen.

Actually you could use this entire 'Thread''in your magazine, noting that you cannot get a single 'Extra' card in Mint condition, as they must be cut from the 3-4 Cards so all dimensions would differ dependant on the individual that 'cut' the card.

BTW, i have no problem purchasing such a card, particularly in such good condition, i am only stressing some factual information.

Last edited:
What's the consensus here on the 'cut' strips from 1980?, perfect lines that make the card actually smaller or the original rough cut?, I wasn't collecting in 1980 but a little while after that I inherited my late Brothers cards and 'pasted' them into a album, just a scrap book thing, just like heaps of others did before proper card sleeves became available, most of the 1980 bonus cards I have are very very ordinary but I am reluctant to pay $25.00 for what I need, getting $25 for Joe Squadrito makes an uncut strip even more tempting.

What's the consensus here on the 'cut' strips from 1980?, perfect lines that make the card actually smaller or the original rough cut?, I wasn't collecting in 1980 but a little while after that I inherited my late Brothers cards and 'pasted' them into a album, just a scrap book thing, just like heaps of others did before proper card sleeves became available, most of the 1980 bonus cards I have are very very ordinary but I am reluctant to pay $25.00 for what I need, getting $25 for Joe Squadrito makes an uncut strip even more tempting.
Unfortunately Scanlens made a big mistake when they introduced the 'Uncut Cards' as in my opinion you can never have a Mint Condition set, knowing that some cards have to be 'Cut' to achieve a full set.
This situation has probably never been heard of in the Card collecting community and shall never be repeated.
I wonder if CGA would grade the aforementioned card as 'Mint' and would it devalue their credibilty, nonethewise, i must say. Do they know? Probably not!
As for 'Trimming' cards, i see a new enhancement that will become more prevalent in the future.

Hi Steve,

I think that card looks OK to me (ie not messed with), assuming you are referring to the rough looking front right edge?

I can state for a fact that Scanlens trimming (ie the sharpness of the edge cuts) was NOT perfect for every card. The majority of cards for sure were fine with sharp edges. Some are rough like the 80 card in question. I'm pretty sure I still have a few examples straight out of the packet from 80/81 like that. Rough edges were more of an issue with later 70s/80s cards. I have some 86/87 cards which are OVER size!

Let's not talk about Scanlens alignment! I don't know how many cards I threw away because they had 1-2cm of the card above or below present!!

Regards
Mike

PS: fixed the 86/86 typo to read 86/87

Last edited:
Point taken Mike, but i have to say that i have well over 500 cards from this year, and i have 5 of that particular card, and not 1 card is like that!

I totally agree with the 'centreing' for this series, but that rough edge is hand done.

Hi Steve,

I finally got around to taking a quick look through my 79/80/81 spares (ones I know I opened the packets for and have definitely not been messed with). Attached (hopefully full sized scans) are a couple of the more obvious examples of poorly trimmed examples - not as bad as the eBay card though. I was careful not to pick ones with rough edges that may have been due to "rubber banding". These imperfectly trimmed cards are certainly a small % of the numbers produced (way under 1% I would guess).

The 81 Ron Pilon card is bad on both long edges (only checked one of him). The 80 Steve Martin card is more obvious from the reverse (left side only). I have 5 spares of him and 2 out of 5 are like this.

I would not expect to see every card for a certain player with an imperfectly trimmed edge, I think it would depend a lot upon how many sheets were being cut at one time and how often the cuttings blade(s) were sharpened.

Anybody know anyone that was involved in the Scanlens card production process at the time to get an idea of;
1) how the process of cutting printed sheets was actually undertaken (one blade, multiple blades, etc) and
2) what the reject rates were (and main reasons for rejecting)?

Regards
Mike

2xRoughEdge-cards-x200-obv-550.jpg

2xRoughEdge-cards-x200-rev-551.jpg

PS: I had cause to go through my ultra-pro stored cards this morning and found one of the 2 Max Krilich cards there also exhibits poor trimming straight out of the packet.

Regards
Mike

2morexRoughEdge-cards-x200-obv-a.jpg

2morexRoughEdge-cards-x200-rev-a.jpg

Unfortunately Scanlens made a big mistake when they introduced the 'Uncut Cards' as in my opinion you can never have a Mint Condition set, knowing that some cards have to be 'Cut' to achieve a full set.
This situation has probably never been heard of in the Card collecting community and shall never be repeated.
I wonder if CGA would grade the aforementioned card as 'Mint' and would it devalue their credibilty, nonethewise, i must say. Do they know? Probably not!
As for 'Trimming' cards, i see a new enhancement that will become more prevalent in the future.
just like to add to this: all cards were done in sheets, they were then cut by guillotine into sheets, I know that because I have uncut sheets from 1970- 2003.
You just have to get them cut professionally.
I came across some 1981 sheets 9 years ago, a particular company were still using them on pallets before stacking boxes on them.

Back
Top Bottom