Baseball Relic cards

owen21

Panthers 1991
Real Name
owen
eBay User
roy2053
What opinion do you guys have on this?

This card means a Ty Cobb bat has been cut into many pieces.

Surely there mustn't be many of his bats out there....seems sad that such a rare item is cut up.....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356340453.733410.jpg

I'm not a huge baseball fan, however I know of Ty Cobb and his history and I can see where you are coming from.

Cannot possibly be many of his bats out there to cut up into relic cards, personally they should be kept whole and displayed in sporting museums and places of that nature.

This is my concern....whilst a Cobb bat would be a great collectable surely there can be too many out there.

To me it is akin to cutting up a Bradman bat,....

Although we think it is sacrilege to cut up a bat, the card makers do not see history and only $$$.
One bat can make thousands of pieces so hopefully only one is cut up!

As for the card pictured it does not say game used bat and I remember the card companies passing off pieces of stadium seats which people thought were bats.

I agree 100% Owen, I can't believe they ever started cutting up game-used *anything* and put it on a card. I think Upper Deck were the first ones to do it for an officially licensed product, for it's baseball release in 1997. (Although there were some Minor League/Oddball issues with them in 1995-1996).

I kinda wish it never happened, it basically means the 50c/pack with 15-18 cards per pack days are certainly over. :-(

I seriously hope I never hear of any Bradman-Game-Used-Bat cards. Please don't tell me if there are some out there!!!

Nick

I seriously hope I never hear of any Bradman-Game-Used-Bat cards. Please don't tell me if there are some out there!!! if this happened it would be a sad day....

I can see both sides. At least by cutting them up everyone gets a chance to own a piece of history instead of sitting in some rich guys collection that no one else gets to appreciate.

That's true, man.

If I owned a game-used Bradman bat, I would be happy for card companies to go ahead and cut em up into tiny bits - that would mean there would be fewer in existence and the value would probably increase!

Back
Top Bottom