Random bitch about the horse racing industry.

axeman23

OzCardTrader
Was looking at the paper over the w/end, and noticed another horse fell over and broke his leg or something, leading to his being "put down". My question is, is there something about horses where their legs are beyond putting a cast on, to the point where they can't recover to at least live the rest of their life out happily being a breeder or something? I really get angry when I hear of another horse being sent to the glue factory when they've "out-lived their usefullness." Maybe we should start putting jockeys down if they break their "riding" arm, they're no longer usefull... I mean, I was reading that Takeover Target was bought for something like $5500, and has now earned over $1 million for his owners. I mean, he's earned 200 times what his owners paid for him, in my opinion he's earned the rest of his life after he's done racing already. So if he breaks a leg on Saturday, is he gonna be put down? That would suck out loud, IMO...

If a horse snaps a canon bone then no it cant be fixed or set the only humane thing is to put it down...secondly takeover target wasnt bought for $5500 it was bought for a measly $800...and has earned well over 2 million now and should be adding to that at 12.45am sat night/sun morn in England.
The % of horses being injured or killed in racing is so miniscule that it isnt even worth mentioning, the racing industry has come along in leaps and bounds in horse and rider safety and will continue to do so in the future...the introduction of straw plastic fences in hurdle and steeplechase races virtually makes it impossible for a horse to injure itself.
The other thing most people dont understand is that horses love to run...its what they do...and if they weren't in the racing industry they would be MUCH worse off ...they are looked after like kings and have their own strappers..(the equivilent of us having a personal butler) look at a horses eyes, they are one of the few animals on earth that can see 360 degrees....the reason being when theres danger it can see from any angle and RUN!!!

Thanks Shoes

Back
Top Bottom