Questions! Returning to the hobby after a long time with 21/22 CA TLA Traders

Flashman

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Rob
G'day all - I'm returning to sports cards after a long time with the 21/22 CA TLA Traders when it comes out.

Now, last time I was collecting cricket cards, they were actually stickers you stuck in an album. This was the 1980s! I think footy cards had gone in that direction too, at least for a few years. Anyway, in the 90s I dabbled in cards from some other sports, but I've been out of the game for some time in general.

So when it comes to the 21/22 TLA Traders set, it seems pretty straight forward. I see the boxes for sale from Dec 1. I see the album. I gather it would be useful to get a starter set to snag one of the Ashes caricatures?

Outside of that... any advice? Do I need sleeves to put in the album? It's hard to see whether it has them or not.

And from some YouTube videos it seems if people get something really special, they don't stick it in the album, but in a rigid protector right away? Should I have some of those on hand? How many?

Treat me like your idiot cousin and give me all your thoughts. I'm really excited to collect again, but the game's changed a lot. Cheers.

G'day all - I'm returning to sports cards after a long time with the 21/22 CA TLA Traders when it comes out.

Now, last time I was collecting cricket cards, they were actually stickers you stuck in an album. This was the 1980s! I think footy cards had gone in that direction too, at least for a few years. Anyway, in the 90s I dabbled in cards from some other sports, but I've been out of the game for some time in general.

So when it comes to the 21/22 TLA Traders set, it seems pretty straight forward. I see the boxes for sale from Dec 1. I see the album. I gather it would be useful to get a starter set to snag one of the Ashes caricatures?

Outside of that... any advice? Do I need sleeves to put in the album? It's hard to see whether it has them or not.

And from some YouTube videos it seems if people get something really special, they don't stick it in the album, but in a rigid protector right away? Should I have some of those on hand? How many?

Treat me like your idiot cousin and give me all your thoughts. I'm really excited to collect again, but the game's changed a lot. Cheers.
Yeah mate have some toploaders and pennysleeves on hand, you really only need to sleeve and topload the numbered inserts or card you really like, base cards in these sets are next to worthless, enjoy collecting and finishing the set. Boris.

Yeah mate have some toploaders and pennysleeves on hand, you really only need to sleeve and topload the numbered inserts or card you really like, base cards in these sets are next to worthless, enjoy collecting and finishing the set. Boris.
And yes the album will have pages but these albums are pretty ordinary really, try and buy a green TLA album if you want to store them a little better.

By way of update, I looked at those folders and yeah... yeesh... so I considered the plain green TLA folder that Boris suggested, but thought it might be a bit small, so I bought a 480 card Vault X Binder. Good size to do the base and parallel sets and have room for more besides, so it made sense to me.

I also thought, what the heck, and bought a few boxes of the 2020/21 cards. The reasoning being, I didn't realise it was Traders first crack at cricket, so why not get on with the first release and have some fun over the month ahead? Then, when 2021/22 finally releases, I can hit the ground running.

I'll have to get another folder, LOL.

I've also been doing a ton more reading. I'm surprised at how small the market is (relatively speaking), given that cricket is such a huge international sport. I saw some posts mentioning that a truly global set of cards would be hot-as, and I agree. A guy can dream, I suppose. Wouldn't it be nice? Cheers all.

The problem is rights that TLA have to pay overseas boards to have other countries included. I did like the 90s when Australian releases had all the team's that toured inn the home summer. Shame there isn't World Cup sets though.
Put up a wants list on here in time to fill your gaps you have.
There's some guys on here with plenty of spares .

Absolutely, Avonc. I'm going to push the set as far as I can, trying to get 'the good stuff' from a few more box breaks. But once that's done with (and will be fast-forwarded, given the new set is imminent and I want to get onto that), I'll be chasing up some of the sale threads here, then posting a wants list. It's a nice set; certainly very good for a first time effort by Traders, although in saying that I acknowledge the NRL designs.

Back
Top Bottom