Question

buyingstuffformikelee

Exq Auto Patches rule!
Real Name
Michael
eBay User
buyingstuffformikelee
I got a question here for the lovely experienced members on here.

Has anyone ever got an offer out of the blue on E-bay, saying something on the lines "Hey, I noticed you have been biding on XXXXXXX and I have XXXXXX, give me your e-mail and I can send you scans. Check my high feedback".
Now, I always do things by the books and hence, avoid all these scams etc. I know you aren't supposed to deal out side of E-bay if you want protection.
But my question is, has anyone ever taken these sort of situations up? And if so, how would you go about protecting yourself on the transaction if it were to go sour? Are there people out there that just watch what people buy and then offer stuff? How do i know it's not a person with a grudge that's after to screw me over?

Your quality feedback would be most appreciated :)

Mike,
I have a good mate that bought roughly $6000 US through a highly reputable Ebay seller without a problem.

He then was approached offline out of the blue by the same seller saying he more stuff available (another $10K US worth of UDA Jordan gear) but would prefer to sell outside of ebay to avoid the ebay fees. My mate bought the stuff and paid via paypal. The items he bought outside of ebay never arrived and the seller closed up his ebay account and has dissapeared completely.

He filed a claim via paypal, won the claim and was told that since the seller does not have funds in his account to cover the claim, he can pretty much expect to never see the cash again. All this from a seller he had never had any problems with.

The end result was that he is 10K out of pocket and its been a very expensive lesson learnt.

I would be extremely careful, if the deal sounds too good to be true, the sad fact is that it probably is.

Cheers
Matt

twentysomething: In that case your friend should contact his CC provider (assuming he paid that way), he'll get his cash back, whether or not the guy has funds in his paypal account or not.

bargey said:
twentysomething: In that case your friend should contact his CC provider (assuming he paid that way), he'll get his cash back, whether or not the guy has funds in his paypal account or not.

exactly right bargey, i thought i was out of pocket almost $5,000 , but i claimed it back through my bank and got every last cent back.
it took almost 3 months but was worth it and the seller is now facing fraud charges in hawaii:) :)

in answer to your question, there is no right or wrong answer.if you are doing to make a quick buck or get a good deal go for it
pay by paypal and it gives you security,just don't leave it too long, if the item has not arrived after 2-3 weeks file a claim.

i get offers atleast once a week from chinese sellers offering me clothing/shoes etc etc,they all claim they have huge feedback and there own website, most are dodgy and have feedback of 1 or 2 on ebay, i definately do not trust people like that

Bargey, thanks for this info....I've passed this on to my mate who is contacting his bank as we speak.

Cheers
Matt

buyingstuffformikelee said:
I got a question here for the lovely experienced members on here.

Has anyone ever got an offer out of the blue on E-bay, saying something on the lines "Hey, I noticed you have been biding on XXXXXXX and I have XXXXXX, give me your e-mail and I can send you scans. Check my high feedback".
Now, I always do things by the books and hence, avoid all these scams etc. I know you aren't supposed to deal out side of E-bay if you want protection.
But my question is, has anyone ever taken these sort of situations up? And if so, how would you go about protecting yourself on the transaction if it were to go sour? Are there people out there that just watch what people buy and then offer stuff? How do i know it's not a person with a grudge that's after to screw me over?

Your quality feedback would be most appreciated :)

Yes I have had offers like that (Quite confident).

I haven't had offers but I have asked if they would stop the auction and sell them to me directly for a price we are both happy with. Some say yes, some no, but when it has happened it has always worked ou tin the end for me. Then these guys get back to me with other cards I might be chasing before they go to ebay. So has been good in my experience.

Thanks for all your comments guys, really appreciate it :)

Matt - I think you have definietly scared me off the "possible" transaction.
I normally just say a flat out "no thanks" and then it's the end of that. But this case was different from the others. I just found it odd that they would offer me cards that I needed from Exquisite, as yes, they listed all of them... so how did they know what I needed? The second starneg thing was, they are pretty expensive....which made me think, how the heck did they get all these cards? Would you just list on E-Bay and make a motsa, as everything exquisite is smoking on E-Bay. Mmmmmmm, but your story really raises an eye brow for me indeed.

So if the deal goes sour, I can claim back from my CC company? If that's the case, I might give it a stab, as long as I'm protected......

O.k, just an update.

We did a bit of contacting, and it just got to scary for me. Seriously.

It became obviously clear that he wanted big, big, money from me for the cards, by the way he spoke.
So I politely declined the offer, and let it be.

Mike.

Mike,
I have a good mate that bought roughly $6000 US through a highly reputable Ebay seller without a problem.

He then was approached offline out of the blue by the same seller saying he more stuff available (another $10K US worth of UDA Jordan gear) but would prefer to sell outside of ebay to avoid the ebay fees. My mate bought the stuff and paid via paypal. The items he bought outside of ebay never arrived and the seller closed up his ebay account and has dissapeared completely.

He filed a claim via paypal, won the claim and was told that since the seller does not have funds in his account to cover the claim, he can pretty much expect to never see the cash again. All this from a seller he had never had any problems with.

The end result was that he is 10K out of pocket and its been a very expensive lesson learnt.

I would be extremely careful, if the deal sounds too good to be true, the sad fact is that it probably is.

Cheers
Matt

ouch that is a really bad day

Back
Top Bottom