Question for the floor

Croz

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Matt
eBay User
Mattcroz
So in my second year of NBA collecting (a decade of NRL) and both are a different way in collecting, trading and selling.

my question is this.

how do you know when is the right time to sell a card that has value yet you don’t collect? Ie

I have a 2018/19 court kings - level 3 Luka doncic, valued approx $200, which is not graded (thanks for adviceabout this Card). Will this in raw form increase in value over time or stay about thesame?
Would this be similar with other rookies, like zions, Mitchell’s and so on.
This is question for my learning and I wouldn’t be surprised other newer collectors have this same question

Honestly, you don't know the right time.
If you want to cash out, pick a price to sell at and stick to it. Don't look back!
But if your looking to make the most, consider things like player popularity, card scarcity, player ability etc etc.
I couldn't find any recent sales on your card (scratch that, found a few), Doncic is right up there in popularity, has MVP potential (an opinion on the internet, oh no!).
Personally, if it was my card, I would be holding.

Last edited:
Tough question and for me I think only you can answer when you want to sell...

The only advice I will give is never have any regrets. I mean if you sell the Luka for $200 now then that's probably still a good increase on what it was originally so you will have done better than a lot of people. If he hits MVP level and it jumps to $500 then you can at least say oh well I did ok when I sold mine.

The NBA market fluctuates so often it's hard to keep up. one injury to Luka and his value drops and the hype moves to someone else. Have seen it and done it too many times waiting for maximum value thinking there's still room to go and then something happens like an injury, drug suspension or something else that just bottoms out any value that was there.

Same as Delly above though if it was mine I would be holding for a little while yet though, depending how patient you are. I think he will win an MVP sooner rather than later and the Mavs should be making deep playoff runs if not winning a championship in the next few years. But it depends how patient you are too.

Nice card too btw!

Personally if it doesnt fit in my collection then I sell it to move on rather than trying to time when to sell. Once you start timing it then becomes gambling. His prices can go up or down and its all out of your control - definition of gambling. A slight misshap or injury and there goes your money.
If you are trying to invest then sell and properly invest the proceeds into something you understand and have a modicum of control over.

Thanks ladies and gents for the advice, nba and nrl completely different way of trading collecting and selling. Thanks for the advice, and knowledge about Many things can change value in it.
It is slowly openin my eyes to a new way in trading and I do it for enjoyment of collecting cards!

thanks again!

If you're not attached to it and you don't have that sort of coin in it, sell it or another option, trade it for something of equal value that would be for PC.
We all kicked ourselves many times for selling something and months later it boomed, or took a liking to something, paid high and the price nose dived.
I only do PC in the last year or so. But everyone is different

Back
Top Bottom