Quality of the card stock of Prime 2013

Gameday Online

OZCT Supporter
Real Name
Peter Thompson
eBay User
supa5
Hi All,

Want some feedback on what people think of the quality of card stock of this series as compared to previous Series 2 release for Select for both the common cards and the insert sets.

Thanks in advance :)

Peter

the commons for series 2 are pretty average. same as last years, make a stack and you will notice they don't make a perfect stack. this is because they were cut with a blunt blade on the guillotine. this sort of quality wouldn't be tolerated by a Australian company. tbh im not sure if they were cut in Australia , if they were id be surprised because ive worked in the business and I know sloppy work doesn't go over well. they were printed in china so im guessing they were also cut there. the guillotine blade becomes blunt over time and needs to be replaced. guillotine operating is a art and a good operator knows when to replace the blade. my old man is a book binder by trade and works on the things day in day out , I know if he cut them the dimension on each card would be the same.

some members on here have already discussed your question regarding quality. a lot of the sig cards ive seen have dinged corners, some commons were miss-printed.
getting back to the blade. a blade will become blunt quicklier when you work with thicker stock like the stock they use for cards

I'd hazard a guess that they were printed and finished in China, they're essentially producing decent enough product for 1/5th the price. A few agencies and publications in my area are essentially brokers now, as they farm the work off to China, including design.

Only thing that is probably done locally is the numbering.

Not sure about blunt blades, that generally causes chipping and burred edges. The cards I've busted look clean, I'd guess inconsistencies are caused but the 24/7 churn-&-burn nature of their print factories, simple human error. I doubt they measure twice, cut once.

As for stock Eternity and Prime seem to use the same weight, however Prime seems to use a thinner gloss. Eternity's finish seemed very heavy, though not any glossier, and the cards seemed to grip each other as you shuffled through them.

ive worked on guillotines myself and I cant recall any of the stuff I cut resulting in chipping probably because it was not a blunt blade. there has been the odd time when the blade was blunt and the dimensions on the stock I was working on changed like you see on the commons. ive showed the cards to my brother who also works in the printing industry and he suggested a blunt blade. ill ask my old man and see what he says

just spoke with the old man. he said its pretty common for these type of problems to occur when working on the guillotine.
some times its bad operating , sometimes the machine is not accurate, sometimes its a blunt blade. he says it could be half a dozen reasons why. but overall he said its pretty common because the stock pulls as you cut it. he reckons you would get the same sort of quality control if they were cut over here. the only way you would get %100 consistency is by using forme/die cutting. cards like the 2005 and 2010 platinum die cuts were used with this machine. each and every card are the same in dimension. i've actually worked on one of these machine's in the past and they are more time consuming there's no way the commons would be used on one of them it would take forever. here's a link regarding die cutting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_(manufacturing) click on the die manufacturing link once you open the link and it will explain it all there

I have a few prime draft cards with bad corners.
One thing that has really pissed me off is my
Leigh Matthews Signature Case Card does not
fit in a magnetic one touch case.

I have a few prime draft cards with bad corners.
One thing that has really pissed me off is my
Leigh Matthews Signature Case Card does not
fit in a magnetic one touch case.

I've aso noticed this problem. many of my dps dont fit in a 35pt magnetic one touch case. I've had to put them in a 100pt case for the time being, they still dont fit 100% but they close unlike the 35pt case. little bit disappointed. :thumbsdown:

Back
Top Bottom