PSA Trading Card Submission

mfcrox

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Steve
Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help me... I am interested in sending a card into PSA for grading (I've never done it before), and in their 'Packing Guidelines' they say they won't accept 'Acrylic Snap Cases', 'Top Loaders', or 'Screw Down Holders' which are all that I own or have seen on eBay.

Where the hell do I get a 'Mylar Sleeve' and a 'Card Saver I' which is what they recommend? I can't find them on eBay, so I am just wondering if they are listed under another name or something.

I do apologize for my ignorance, I have just never submitted to them before.

Thanks

Mylar sleeve is just a penny sleeve or card sleeve like these NWCardSupplies

The card saver 1's are these NWCardSupplies

You may need to research PSA a little more - you mention sending "a card" which isn't really possible with PSA - you need to pay an upfront membership cost which gives you submission rights and sending only one card at a time is really not cost effective - they charge $40+ for return shipping for 1-10 cards.

i am also intrested in grading a few cards prob got bout 10 to do, what do u guys reccomend i use the beckett grading service or the psa service, which one is cheaper if any? which one is better or what do most users on this site use for grading there cards??...

i looked at the psa site and also read up top that u can become a member but can u get cards graded if ure not a member still??

im a member of beckett and ive already checkd out there services wasnt completey sure to use it or not so thought ide ask on here 1st to see some feedback on both, any input would be great???

just found this on psa site,

GOLD MEMBERSHIP (1 Year) $110

Direct Submission Privileges to All PSA Grading Services for One Year
A voucher for 6 Submissions - 7 Business Day Turnaround (All 6 cards must be submitted at the same time. Maximum value per card allowed is $499 each.)
T3's, Autographed Tickets, and Autographed Cards* are not allowed on this voucher.
1-Year Subscription to the Sports Market Report (SMR)
The T206 Collection-The Players & Their Stories**
1-Year subscription to the PSA Population ReportSM and SMR Online
Electronic Version of the Sports Market Report
Monthly Grading Specials

voucher for 6 submissions is pretty good but no autos
the other pkg is the premium which is $189 which includes autos from 98-present & 15 submissions...

hmmm strongly thinking bout it now...

PSA members - pls help!!!

Apologies for bring this thread back to life - it has similar questions that I will like to know, have emailed PSA and they didn't reply back! I have used Beckett twice and will like to see if I get a different grade with PSA.

If I opted for the $189 Platinum membership - it states that I can have a voucher for 15 submission ($225 value) - does that mean I can submit 15 cards to be authenticated and do I have to pay a grading fee ontop of this and it will cover all future autographs from 1998 per the disclaimer: * Autographed cards from the manufacturer from 1998 to present are allowed on this voucher. All other autographed cards must be submitted under the Autographed Card Grading and Authentication service.

Cheers
Clem

Hi Clem

What exactly are you wanting to get graded?

The 15 freebies (which aren't really free as you still need to pay shipping to them + return shipping of $40US plus) you can submit cards for grading and this includes cards that were autographed and put into packs or redeemed from manufacturers after 1998. You can't submit autographed cards prior to this nor in person autographs under the 'Freebies'

If you are wanting to submit cards with in person autos or cards from the manufacturers prior to 1998 (eg the first couple of years of skybox autographics) then that's a whole kettle of fish. You need to submit them to PSA/DNA and aren't included in the freebie voucher.

Any reason you want to join PSA? the rules have changed and you no longer have to be a member to submit cards to them. If you are looking at the once off then I'd just send off as a non member then I'd you decide you want to send more then join up.

Let me know if I can help with any more info.

Graham

Hi Clem

What exactly are you wanting to get graded?

The 15 freebies (which aren't really free as you still need to pay shipping to them + return shipping of $40US plus) you can submit cards for grading and this includes cards that were autographed and put into packs or redeemed from manufacturers after 1998. You can't submit autographed cards prior to this nor in person autographs under the 'Freebies'

Graham

Thanks Graham, basically breaking the BGS graded cards and trying to get my cards with auto graded by PSA. Well to ensure that I understand the US$209 platinum membership - that means I get 15 cards with auto (from packs after 98) graded with no extra charge (shipping excluded). I will have a look at the non-membership rate.

Cheers
Clem

There is a basic rule that has been looked upon by the trading industry over the last 10 years. Newer cards should be graded by Becketts. I am not sure why this is, I have used both in the past and I find that the newer cards done by Becketts do better in retaining value.

The vintage cards though do better with PSA.

Though to have them encapsulated and graded by either would be a great bit better, I would recommend though that you get HIGH end cards done that have some book value already, as the lower end cards will not sell for what you even pay for the grading. I learned this the hard way and spend 500.00 on cards which only booked between 1-10 dollars to find that they get a grade 8 and you dont even get 1.00 on ebay for it.

One of the things my wife does better then me in grading cards before we send them in is check the centering, surface and corners. if you have even a small variation to what they say they need to be for the grade, dont bother.

Then again, this does not always work either.... For instance, I sent in a 1/10 baseball card which when we looked it over right out of the pack looked sweet. I put it in a penny sleeve and into a top loader, touching only the edges and send it off being it looked about 9-10 easy. Received the card back with a grade of 6, SIX! I was more then pissed as again, the card had no dodgy corners, surface was consistent on both sides and was centered perfectly.

The other side of this story is this.... When you see dealers getting great grades on cards, they send in thousands at a time. Guess what, when you do this, you get better grades then just sending in 10. Sorry to say this, but a wholesaler I was doing business with me in the states let me know this. Hence why all his cards were 9 and 10's.

But this should not stop you from sending in a hard to pull with some value card. However if you do, I would go with Becketts with the newer ones.

Best wishes

Mike

Your point about big submitters is probably true for Beckett but I can tell you it's NOT the case with PSA. Ive spoken to a number of bulk submitters who do 5000 cards at a time and they do get hosed on cards also from PSA. They grade the card by the actual card condition and not by how many bills line the envelope.

In my experience most first time submitters get upset from their first submissions. It's a real art to actually be able to grade a card without rose colored glasses on especially when it's a great card you own. I'm guilty of the occasional rush of blood where I glance over a card thinking it's great only to come back an 8. I look at the card when it comes back and wonder why I even bothered! The bulk submitters I know do well out of it because they have a good eye and don't bother submitting modern stuff that won't grade well - as you said you just can't sell some modern cards that are 8's or 9's for more than the grading cost. I've seen 10's that have sold for $5 or less.

Though if you are getting them graded for yourself then choose what you like and hope for the best :)

And yes Clem you've got it spot on.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom